Opinion 2023 Pass mark (Nicks keeps job)

Minimum number of wins for a pass for AFC in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks is reminding me more and more of Hinkley and his "weve just to to try hardery for longery". All the while completely ignoring any sort of tactical deficiencies he could be addressing...

Plan A - tackle, get it in to the forward line is only thing that works so far, but it appears isn't sustainable for more than 15min a game.
Plan B - watch oppo cut us to pieces.

I have 2025 as the year we should have realistic expectations of making the finals. Anyone who thinks that's even a possibility in 2023 or 2024 either has no understanding whatsoever of our team list, has rocks in their head, or both.

Hmmmmmm...... Absolutely hilarious...

2024 finals is now an undeniable 100% MUST.

My guess for targets for future years:
2023 - 7-8 wins
2024 - 10 wins
2025 - 12 wins, finals

No, I don't think that the pressure would be untenable. I think they will hold the course, knowing that they committed to a ground-up rebuild, with all that this entails.

We're not making the finals in 2023 or 2024, and the club won't be sacking him based on unrealistic expectations by ignorant fans who demand success now, without any fundamental understanding of what that entails.

So much certainty. So very wrong.

Yeah... not even close.

Don't forget that 4 of last year's wins were against Norf & the Weagles. We only won 4 games against AFL opponents last season, we're not likely to double that total in 2023.

Still 3 rounds and we have 10 wins - 8 of which were against AFL opponents.
There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't improve significantly from 2022. We won 8 games and lost another 3 by less than a goal. We are returning everyone and signed on Rankine.

This guy gets it.

4 wins off the 8 in 2022.
4 wins of the 8 in 2021.

We have the cattle entering 2023.

This guy was spot on there. We absolutely have the cattle. A more tactically astute coach and we are 100% playing finals in 2023.

Nicks is reminding me more and more of Hinkley and his "weve just to to try hardery for longery". All the while completely ignoring any sort of tactical deficiencies he could be addressing...
No. There is a coherent game plan. The fast movement where players overlap and provide options and make deep forward entries. We saw this emerge last year in patches. This year, we have seen buy-in by players and the players are having fun. This is a stark contrast to 2020-21.

We have also seen the chip around possession game emerge too. This isn't as developed.

When Keane and Borlase have come in, it has been seamless. This indicates 2 things. Firstly, the development system is working. Secondly, they know our system despite playing SANFL footy where opposition game plans don't have AFL intensity. Nankervis too, should have included him in this.

They have also been flying the flag this year, where as last year, they were more timid in physical contests.

Nicks isn't a new coach taking over an almost ready to go side. He is building his team after a player clean-out at the start of his tenure.

Sure, he's made mistakes, but he is building a team faster than I expected. I reckon 1 year ahead of a reasonable expectation.

I give a B+ this year. We should have won 1 or two more games. But slip-ups are a feature of inexperienced sides. If we win the next 3 we earn an A. If we lose 2 its B-.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sure, he's made mistakes, but he is building a team faster than I expected. I reckon 1 year ahead of a reasonable expectation.

Faster than you expected?

Outside of Richardson and Dew - who has had more leeway to build a squad?

If Nicks doesn't make the finals - he needs to be on notice. Its finals or bust in 2024.

I give a B+ this year. We should have won 1 or two more games. But slip-ups are a feature of inexperienced sides. If we win the next 3 we earn an A. If we lose 2 its B-.

Interesting.

I think with the right coach we would have won 3 more games and had an A.

If we miss the finals this season is a C

Faster than you expected?

Outside of Richardson and Dew - who has had more leeway to build a squad?

If Nicks doesn't make the finals - he needs to be on notice. Its finals or bust in 2024.
Brisbane took 15 years, Melbourne took 15 years. Expecting finals after 4th year of a rebuild is unrealistic and only good if you want to score rage internezts points. On average, a ground up rebuild takes 8 years before regular finals appearances.

You guys just like vying for the title of "Angriest BF Poster"

You can't clean out a club and have a side with significant numbers under 50 game players and expect to seriously contend for finals. That's completely delusional.

Brisbane took 15 years, Melbourne took 15 years. Expecting finals after 4th year of a rebuild is unrealistic and only good if you want to score rage internezts points. On average, a ground up rebuild takes 8 years before regular finals appearances.

Melbourne took 50+ years.

Brisbane hasn't gotten there yet.

Plenty of other clubs took far less time. I don't understand your point.

You guys just like vying for the title of "Angriest BF Poster"

You can't clean out a club and have a side with significant numbers under 50 game players and expect to seriously contend for finals. That's completely delusional.

So are we are not contending for finals? We win our next 3 games we are in. We have given up massive leads to GWS X 2, Gold Coast, Collingwood X 2 and gotten close with Melbourne.

We should be playing finals this year if our coach was a top end coach.

Interesting.

I think with the right coach we would have won 3 more games and had an A.

If we miss the finals this season is a C
I don't think we win any more games with any different coach. Inexperienced teams drop games.

Clarkson had a meltdown at his team, which led to a holiday to calm the phuk down. Harwick lost his team because he couldn't cope with a side transitioning its eras and walked away. How many years since Essendon won a final?

Too many variables.

I don't like the coach coz he is a bit smiley is a piss poor way to assess coaching. Of the complaints I see, it's his media demeanour that gets criticised.

So are we are not contending for finals? We win our next 3 games we are in. We have given up massive leads to GWS X 2, Gold Coast, Collingwood X 2 and gotten close with Melbourne.

No, we aren't in serious contention. We are making up numbers at this point. We are a mathematical chance to make the 8, with fate in our own hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we win any more games with any different coach. Inexperienced teams drop games.

Clarkson had a meltdown at his team, which led to a holiday to calm the phuk down. Harwick lost his team because he couldn't cope with a side transitioning its eras and walked away. How many years since Essendon won a final?

Too many variables.

I don't like the coach coz he is a bit smiley is a piss poor way to assess coaching. Of the complaints I see, it's his media demeanour that gets criticised.

I also suspect this, especially as what has cost us that deep finals push this year has been inconsistency, seeing our goal kicking will go ice-cold randomly and we aren't crash hot in the last quarters when games are there to be won. That's probably a squad-wide experience issue where we've been unable to stop a rot when it occurs, and I imagine it takes a while to get over it off the back of multiple losing seasons.

Mostly though, we've been fantastic. We're a side who structures up very well, seeing within a year we've been able to transition from a dour defensive side to the most potent offense in the league, and without a strong midfield to back it up (i.e. it's all structures and an elite forward line that's doing the work). We've also now withstood our defensive unit being gutted and haven't really missed a beat, and that's been getting better as the year went on. The players also clearly play for Nicks as well, and he got lucky with Dawson being able to transition to being a game-changing midfielder. Which is promising in a game where you have to be good to be lucky.

The biggest thing that's really holding us back is just our list at the moment and a lot of that is there are a fair few key players who need a bit more time in the oven. Bringing in another contested mid, or having Schoenberg/Berry sort their s**t out would also go a long way to taking that next step into being a team who should be able to lock down a 5th-7th spot, as I don't expect us to keep Crouch.

Gets an B+ from me considering where we were at last year and my happy point with the year coming into it was a year like Gold Coast is having. Where you get to 10 wins with promising signs that there is a brighter future without being a genuine player for finals.

Last edited:
I also suspect this, especially as what has cost us that deep finals push this year has been inconsistency, seeing our goal kicking will go ice-cold randomly and we aren't crash hot in the last quarters when games are there to be won. That's probably a squad-wide experience issue where we've been unable to stop a rot when it occurs, and I imagine it takes a while to get over it off the back of multiple losing seasons.

Mostly though, we've been fantastic. We're a side who structures up very well, seeing within a year we've been able to transition from a dour defensive side to the most potent offense in the league, and without a strong midfield to back it up (i.e. it's all structures and an elite forward line that's doing the work). We've also now withstood our defensive unit being gutted and haven't really missed a beat, and that's been getting better as the year went on. The players also clearly play for Nicks as well, and he got lucky with Dawson being able to transition to being a game-changing midfielder. Which is promising in a game where you have to be good to be lucky.

The biggest thing that's really holding us back is just our list at the moment and a lot of that is there are a fair few key players who need a bit more time in the oven. Bringing in another contested mid, or having Schoenberg/Berry sort their s**t out would also go a long way to taking that next step into being a team who should be able to lock down a 5th-7th spot, as I don't expect us to keep Crouch.

Gets an B+ from me considering where we were at last year and my happy point with the year coming into it was a year like Gold Coast is having. Where you get to 10 wins with promising signs that there is a brighter future without being a genuine player for finals.

Great balanced post.

Like who? and I mean a rebuild not a drop off for a bit and bounce back.

Back