Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure the club doesn't see their secrecy over injuries as a failure but a competitive advantage over the opposition.
Frustrating as it is for us fans, I guess who are we to complain when we have a flag at the end of the day?
I'm sure they don't see it as a failure. Fact is, though, clubs other than ours have won 10 of the last 11 flags without resorting to this 'tactic'. So it can hardly be much of a competitive advantage when that is the case.

And when you look at 2022 in isolation, I don't see any basis for the claim that we stole some sort of march on the comp by being evasive about our injury list during the season. So I'm still left with the impression that it's nothing more than tiresome, misguided and dismissive of the supporters for the GFC to act so demonstrably differently to every other AFL club with respect to this matter.

I'm sure they don't see it as a failure. Fact is, though, clubs other than ours have won 10 of the last 11 flags without resorting to this 'tactic'. So it can hardly be much of a competitive advantage when that is the case.

And when you look at 2022 in isolation, I don't see any basis for the claim that we stole some sort of march on the comp by being evasive about our injury list during the season. So I'm still left with the impression that it's nothing more than tiresome, misguided and dismissive of the supporters for the GFC to act so demonstrably differently to every other AFL club with respect to this matter.
Why does every club have to act the same? In the Premier League you'll often have no idea if a player is 3 days, 3 weeks or 3 months away. No one really gets that angry about it as long as the players are being looked after. Similarly in the NBA you'll usually have no idea of the starting squad until around 15 minutes before the game (the odd rumour here or there the day before maybe).

Your example doesn't prove anything. Maybe a 4 point prelim in one of those flags would've been swung the other way if one club prepared for a player playing (or vice versa), selected their lineup and tactics based on it, and then they didn't play (or vice versa).

I'm not entirely convinced it presents a massive tactical edge but I'm not entirely convinced it's befitting of the emotional rhetoric appended to the end of your rant either.

100 % lock.

Fairdinkum laughed my head off when I saw how this Bruhn guy looked and played....Geelong goes and loses their generational midfield captain and all of a sudden Mackie comes up with this bloke!
Everything you want to see that potentially fills that huge void, because I remember thinking, what do they do now? Lol!...Earliest days for sure, but what a prospect that young fella is, congratulations to Mackie, Wells and whoever else is responsible for getting him to Geelong. Maybe gets some one on one mentoring time with Joel, I will be watching his progress closely, love this trade.

It will throw egg on the faces of the giants coaches and assistants.

To be fair the giants wanted to keep him and they treated him very well off field its just that they had too many midfielders on big $ and he needed more midfield minutes.

Fairdinkum laughed my head off when I saw how this Bruhn guy looked and played....Geelong goes and loses their generational midfield captain and all of a sudden Mackie comes up with this bloke!
Everything you want to see that potentially fills that huge void, because I remember thinking, what do they do now? Lol!...Earliest days for sure, but what a prospect that young fella is, congratulations to Mackie, Wells and whoever else is responsible for getting him to Geelong. Maybe gets some one on one mentoring time with Joel, I will be watching his progress closely, love this trade.
Have been looking for the tweet, either sports bet or Titus o'reilly which says "with pick 12 gws selects future geelong midfielder tanner bruhn". Tweeted on draft night one 2020

Took about 5 minutes into his first praccy game to understand why we gave them our first rounder without much fuss, which honestly at the time seemed unneccesary. Seems to have a fair leg on him too.

Took about 5 minutes into his first praccy game to understand why we gave them our first rounder without much fuss, which honestly at the time seemed unneccesary. Seems to have a fair leg on him too.

You got to know why you're doing this, and what you're getting, brilliant work by the recruit team imo....I guess time will tell, but looking good so far.

Wonder which captain thinks we'll miss finals....

334757719_672630874613788_8630368823110109018_n.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder which captain thinks we'll miss finals....

334757719_672630874613788_8630368823110109018_n.png
Who's more offended (b-hurt) - Sydney or Brisbane?

BTW, not my auto correct above...

WTF is this list even

Over the past decade, along with the AA team they've released a 22 Under 22 team - being the 10th anniversary they've decided to go with a team of the decade, which appears to be based on the players who've been selected in that team over that period

Over the past decade, along with the AA team they've released a 22 Under 22 team - being the 10th anniversary they've decided to go with a team of the decade, which appears to be based on the players who've been selected in that team over that period
No idea how many Geelong players were put in the under 22 each year but i continue to be astounded that we get overlooked so much for lists like these.

No idea how many Geelong players were put in the under 22 each year but i continue to be astounded that we get overlooked so much for lists like these.

I don't think Duncan ever made it even when he was short listed

I'm pretty sure that DEK, Miers & Motlop (?) have made it while wearing Geelong colours - Holmes was overlooked last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back