Preview 2023 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Ima say it...

The way Hawkins gave Neale crickets when asked about Cameron or his replacement early in the year (if needed) is not the kind of response I would expect if we had a young upcoming generational key forward on our list.

Could mean absolutely nothing... but I'd prefer to hear him saying things like "well Shannon Neale is looking like a powerhouse and should be good to go"... rather than "we are light on for big men in the forward line".

But the reality is that we are light on for real big men and if Neale doesn't cut the mustard, we have nothing else even close to ready as a true key forward unless we unleash SDK as a forward.
or maybe the well we're light on for big men is actually a nod to Neale and expecting the audience to come to that conclusion.

It’s funny on social media when Henry is spoken about possibly playing round one.
It’s always the same response.

Maynard going to love this, Maynard going to have a field day.

These people still think it’s the 80’s
Henry might cop a heavy tackle but we seen last year what happens when you try and make a statement.
Last time it was Ginivin on Selwood and Atkins wouldn’t have a bar of it

I doubt the players would overly worry to be honest. I think most take a more bipartisan view than the supporters. He was hardly a key player and not selected in the finals so Id be surprised if ih gathers to much heavy handed attention ...but I'm sure they will do their best to nullify him. I think the Jury is still out on just how good he is atm but maybe if Hawkins and Cameron both miss he will get extra attention.

I doubt the players would overly worry to be honest. I think most take a more bipartisan view than the supporters. He was hardly a key player and not selected in the finals so Id be surprised if ih gathers to much heavy handed attention ...but I'm sure they will do their best to nullify him. I think the Jury is still out on just how good he is atm but maybe if Hawkins and Cameron both miss he will get extra attention.
I think a player like Dunkley would be targeted more than Henry who’s a young kid who just wanted to go home

Maybe Hawk doesn't want to put a whole lot of pressure on a kid who has played one game.
Maybe by not mentioning him it takes all the pressure off because it will surprise a lot of people if he starts at FF.

When was the last time we had a match where neither Hawkins or Cameron started?

I think a player like Dunkley would be targeted more than Henry who’s a young kid who just wanted to go home
What an hour down the road.I'm expecting a near full house majority Pies fans to give young Henry s**t all day while copping heaps from the players as well that's given he's selected rd1,wouldn't be the worst thing for his development to be eased into the side under less confronting circumstances.

Last edited:
Ima say it...

The way Hawkins gave Neale crickets when asked about Cameron or his replacement early in the year (if needed) is not the kind of response I would expect if we had a young upcoming generational key forward on our list.

Could mean absolutely nothing... but I'd prefer to hear him saying things like "well Shannon Neale is looking like a powerhouse and should be good to go"... rather than "we are light on for big men in the forward line".

But the reality is that we are light on for real big men and if Neale doesn't cut the mustard, we have nothing else even close to ready as a true key forward unless we unleash SDK as a forward.
I have posted here before that SDK's dad said that the club is very hot for Neale. Tommy might have had a brain fade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main killer of teams going back to back in flags or having sustained success is injuries. If we have that depth, we will win the flag. The common thing that derails teams from a deep finals run or premiership the year after a flag or GF is injuries or players leaving, either way they are things that kill you during the season.

We lost Joel from the starting 18, Holmes comes in for him. Normally that would be enough to be excited over, but we now have a good 5 or 6 players who are going to have to dominate the VFL to push their way into the side and thats not only good for our VFL team but it means the AFL guys have to lift as well.
If we can maintain the hunger, we win it again.
Difficult thing to maintain though.
And as you say, injuries.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned

Jason Akermanis gave his predictions for the upcoming 23 season-and the 2 which caught my eye were the following

Hawthorn - " Bottom 4 - if they play really well they might get 12th or 13th . Its going to be a hard year for the Hawks"

Anyhow enough time wasted on the boiled lollies - now for the Rolled Gold Chocolates

Geelong - " They have been the best club season to season - their consistency is quite amazing - Top 4 again "

Sorry if this has already been mentioned

Jason Akermanis gave his predictions for the upcoming 23 season-and the 2 which caught my eye were the following

Hawthorn - " Bottom 4 - if they play really well they might get 12th or 13th . Its going to be a hard year for the Hawks"

Anyhow enough time wasted on the boiled lollies - now for the Rolled Gold Chocolates

Geelong - " They have been the best club season to season - their consistency is quite amazing - Top 4 again "
1675872664948.png

Every year I have a brunch bet (loser buys the other brunch) with my best mate over where Geelong will finish on the ladder, he's a saints guy. It started because he thought we'd drop out of the 8 in 2018. Every year we've tightened requirements because I've never lost the bet. In 2022 feeling a bit sorry for the guy I said Geelong needed to finish top of the ladder.

Every year I have a brunch bet (loser buys the other brunch) with my best mate over where Geelong will finish on the ladder, he's a saints guy. It started because he thought we'd drop out of the 8 in 2018. Every year we've tightened requirements because I've never lost the bet. In 2022 feeling a bit sorry for the guy I said Geelong needed to finish top of the ladder.

An old work mate was a mad Hawks supporter - our standing agreement was, loser buys the winner a pint across the road... Was always nice to have an extended afternoon tea

I won so many slabs over the year I have a full bar fridge, a full spare fridge and slabs on a shelf because they won’t fit in.
I’ve also supplied beers at the last few bbqs, said don’t bring beers

I noticed that too. To be fair we have had a bit on Tanner and O Henry but nothing on Jack?

But on the draftees it has been very low hype which feels much different to last year. I made an earlier post saying that I have found it hard to have the same love for this years crop that I have for dempsey Toby Mitch Whyte etc and I think that is purely due to my knowledge or lack of them.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks and I developed that through the practice and vfl games to come…. But I am pretty sure this time last year we had a good sense of hype around the draftees?

I hope we start to get to know this crop soon. And on Jack I have no clue as to where he fits into the priority list?
I think they're probably just playing it safe. The unfortunate reality is the Cats can't win no matter what they say regarding Bowes.

If they say he's flying it'll just be a barrage of "You're only saying that to justify his price tag" or "I'll believe it when I see it"....something along those lines.

If they came out and said he's got a bit to work on, fitness isn't up to scratch etc etc then the backlash would be huge. It doesn't help us and most certainly doesn't help Jack himself.

From what I've seen we're a great club when it comes to player compassion and treatment. If anything we're probably closer to being the 'Family Club' than our mates in brown & gold; so the idea would be to remove as much pressure from Jack as possible and just allow him to go out there and play footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back