Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching a replay of the Geelong practice game. One thing that really stood out to me that didn't as much whilst I was at the game was the performance from Jimmy Tunstill. He was/is absolutely desperate to chase from behind and put pressure on the ball carrier. Even just trying little things like that lunge at the very end to try to get body on to slightly affect an opponent's kick. Watching him do that it became noticeable how many of our guys DON'T do that. It was Mitch Robinson-esque in that regard.

What was not Mitch Robinson-esque however was his disposal. Several brilliant quick hands from the bottom of packs to find team mates in better positions, and a great kick to pick out Dev for his goal in the last quarter. Really the only blight on his game was hitting the post from his set shot in the third quarter, but even that kick he flushed from 50 basically and hit the post halfway up.

If I'm picking my best 23 he's hard to leave out for mine. Simply for his pressure on the opponent... I think he really sets an example for the rest of the team and in a big game you'd like to think that would be contagious. Would have him as part of the half forward-midfield rotation.
There was an effort in particular on the wing that stood out to me the most. Chased and influenced three separate contests. I can't remember exactly if he got HTB for one of those tackles but the effort as a whole was great to watch.

Just read the below linked article on Foxsports and this little bit of info caught my eye. :eek:

Harris Andrews is still a beast, but he had to defend a ridiculous 40 more one-on-ones than any other AFL player last year – and still had one of the better loss rates.

Contender to crash top four as Magpies’ brutal freefall: Full predicted ‘23 AFL ladder

Just read the below linked article on Foxsports and this little bit of info caught my eye. :eek:

Harris Andrews is still a beast, but he had to defend a ridiculous 40 more one-on-ones than any other AFL player last year – and still had one of the better loss rates.

Contender to crash top four as Magpies’ brutal freefall: Full predicted ‘23 AFL ladder
TL;DR: Expect to see Andrews push further up the field and have his midfield cover for him on a fast turnover.

Yeah this is really interesting stuff. As was seeing him venture much further up the ground against Geelong. In a way it makes sense, because if you are going to be exposed by a fast turnover, you actually don't want a lumbering 2m+ defender chasing people around in an open forward line.

You want smaller blokes instead who, granted, won't have the same physique as Harris Andrews, but they'll be quick. And when you are trying to stop blokes getting the ball on the lead, blokes who have pace are gonna be more useful than big blokes.

Andrews will be most useful behind the ball when it's either a slow play or the pressure on the ball carrier is sufficient to force a high or poor kick, which it was against Geelong much of the time.

Prior is a defender in the mold of Grant Birchall. Better defender, but he's not a third tall type.
I completely agree, I think that's his best role too. I'm just thinking, this year with the shortage of taller defenders he could be an option. I think he can play tall enough to pester the buggery out of players like Gary Rowen, Fritch, Rozee, others like that. He's certainly got the aggression and determination.

I also don't want Rayner to lose that improvement he made last year with his midfield work. If he is to play back, I'd love to see it as a def/mid role. He could be really damaging in a role like that. Prior is a good foil to allow that.

We're going to need more than plan A B n C this season in defense if injuries or form cause problems. I think Prior can contribute more, and be real handy doing it.

Good stat behind the argument that it was our midfield letting down our defence

Exact figure was 139 1 v 1s for Harris, Sam Collins second most at 99. Absolutely shocking way to expose your defenders - that is up there with the numbers of 1 v 1s Weitering and Liam Jones were facing under Teague.

Exact figure was 139 1 v 1s for Harris, Sam Collins second most at 99. Absolutely shocking way to expose your defenders - that is up there with the numbers of 1 v 1s Weitering and Liam Jones were facing under Teague.
It really speaks to the vibe we've had here, that our defensive woes have been largely due to a lack of pressure upfield, which should improve dramatically with the improvements in our midfield

I think the lawsuits are still being filed. I was behind the goals when Joey got us over the line. That was an epic and memorable moment
I was directly in line behind Lynch when he kicked it over the post. Everyone on the ground knew he missed. The got it right in the end. But the goal ump messed up by calling it a goal.

I was directly in line behind Lynch when he kicked it over the post. Everyone on the ground knew he missed. The got it right in the end. But the goal ump messed up by calling it a goal.
Even the Richmond fans at the game didn’t know if they should cheer or not.

Even the Richmond fans at the game didn’t know if they should cheer or not.
Blind Freddie knows it was a point and the carry on from Hardwicke was complte sour grapes and diminishes him personally in my estimation.

The policy to come out of this is that the goal umpire should have the option to say he doesn't know in which case the vision decides. This poor goal ump was hopelessly out of position with 2 minutes on the clock and was under enormous pressure to say yeah or nay so he just said the first thing that came into his head with the Richmond mob behind him.

As usual the AFL haven't seen the opportunity to make a policy change which would serve the code better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

antonin scalia hands GIF

Maybe it's time to restart the VLSG forum?

Totally forgot about that. Do you still keep in contact with Michelle? Looked at my PM's when I came back and there was one from her back in 2003.

Now I am back in the country, this time country Victoria, I should look into a country group.

Where have you been brother. I've accumulated 3 kids, an unfortunately real job and 20kgs since we last posted together!

I was banned. Long story. I potentially could have come back a few years ago but only recently decided to ask to be reinstated.

Hope you are bringing your kids up right - i.e Lions fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back