Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The wings are probably our biggest weakness. Sharp at the very least can run
Yeah, not sure I agree that the wings are our biggest weakness. I think with our squad it's our biggest opportunity. Berry, Tunstill, Wilmot, McKenna, Dev, Bailey, Ah Chee, Answerth, Sharp, plenty with the ability to claim that role. It may take a while to work out who suits it best, but once it's sorted I think we'll be right. It's an area, along with sm/med half-backs, that maybe be our biggest uncertainties, but with the quality of players pushing for those roles I can't see them as a weakness.

Biggest weakness, without doubt, is our tall defenders. Even then it's not a weakness with the starting quality of players, Andrews, Gardiner, Payne. It's a weakness in the depth. All 3 are injury prone to some degree. Rayner has been trialled down back but I do think he would struggle against a tall, tall fwd. We have Joyce, unproven as yet, Gunston can and has gone back with some success, and then we have Fullerton and possibly Lester, but both I think would be last options.

Like every club, we are susceptible to multiple injuries in a position. Our susceptibilities are tall defenders and possibly tall forwards, even ruck if both O and Fort go down at the same time. But again the weakness is in depth not starting quality. Joyce, Fullerton, H Smith and Lane, big questions for these tall lads if disaster strikes but also great opportunity if they can stand up n take it.

Yeah, not sure I agree that the wings are our biggest weakness. I think with our squad it's our biggest opportunity. Berry, Tunstill, Wilmot, McKenna, Dev, Bailey, Ah Chee, Answerth, Sharp, plenty with the ability to claim that role. It may take a while to work out who suits it best, but once it's sorted I think we'll be right. It's an area, along with sm/med half-backs, that maybe be our biggest uncertainties, but with the quality of players pushing for those roles I can't see them as a weakness.

Biggest weakness, without doubt, is our tall defenders. Even then it's not a weakness with the starting quality of players, Andrews, Gardiner, Payne. It's a weakness in the depth. All 3 are injury prone to some degree. Rayner has been trialled down back but I do think he would struggle against a tall, tall fwd. We have Joyce, unproven as yet, Gunston can and has gone back with some success, and then we have Fullerton and possibly Lester, but both I think would be last options.

Like every club, we are susceptible to multiple injuries in a position. Our susceptibilities are tall defenders and possibly tall forwards, even ruck if both O and Fort go down at the same time. But again the weakness is in depth not starting quality. Joyce, Fullerton, H Smith and Lane, big questions for these tall lads if disaster strikes but also great opportunity if they can stand up n take it.

So you'd rather have weaker but more plentiful options for a position rather than having decent starters but little depth?

So you'd rather have weaker but more plentiful options for a position rather than having decent starters but little depth?
With the way that we play footy as a team, the wingers are pretty much role players within the team, we have many that can play the role.

With the way that we play footy as a team, the wingers are pretty much role players within the team, we have many that can play the role.

It's a bit chicken-egg though. If we had a couple of gun wingers we may play differently. If we have those only capable of playing a role adequately we'll setup not to play too much through them

It's a bit chicken-egg though. If we had a couple of gun wingers we may play differently. If we have those only capable of playing a role adequately we'll setup not to play too much through them
I am hoping that we can use our wingers a bit more this year and be a bit more expansive.

Drafted in 2017 so Payne has been in the system for 5 years. No AFL games in the first 2 years.
However, 5 of those 27 games were finals so great experience for him.
He has looked fairly comfortable playing in the sims and trial games.
Possibly because he knows the spot is for him to lose.

I have high hopes for him this year but as you say he will have some clangers for sure.
He only had 1 clanger in the Cats game, compared to 5 each for co-defenders Andrews, Rich & McKenna
we also tend to forget that after an encouraging preseason game against swans (2018) did not play any footy in 2018, not even ressies, and i think he also had an interrupted pre season and missed some of 2019, but not sure on 2019. If you look over his stats (footy wire) over his 20 odd games and compare against Gardiners last couple of years Payne is doing OK. Yes the odd clanger is a bit of a concern.

No, I'm saying we don't have weak options, we just haven't settled on the right ones yet. I think the options we have are pretty strong and there is good depth for wing, and hb for that matter. I don't see that as a weakness or that we have a weakness in that area.

I also said we have very good starting options for tall defenders, tall fwds and the ruck but our depth in those areas is limited. It's that limited depth I see as a weakness. I never said that's the way I'd prefer it, it's just the way I see it.

What’s happening with Blake Coleman?
Hardly heard peep about him after he got pumped up a bit pre draft.
I see his VFL stats are pretty mediocre.
Averaging about 12 disposals and just over 1 goal/game last year.

What’s your thoughts and hopes for him this year?

Looks great in glimpses in the VFL but his endurance is poor to say the least, hopefully it is steadily on the improve.... OOC this year so a big chance to be delisted unless there is improvement.

This was his first full pre season. Definitely fitter this year than previous years. No doubt playing the long game with him. In terms of development, would want a 30 goal season from him if playing the Charlie Cameron role, otherwise would like to see him get more touches playing up the ground. He and Lohmann will be great to watch.

This was his first full pre season. Definitely fitter this year than previous years. No doubt playing the long game with him. In terms of development, would want a 30 goal season from him if playing the Charlie Cameron role, otherwise would like to see him get more touches playing up the ground. He and Lohmann will be great to watch.
30 goals in the VFL?
Doesn't sound like you think he'll get a sniff of the AFL team.
If he's not in the frame for an AFL debut by end of the year then he might consider a move for more opportunity.

30 goals in the VFL?
If he's not in the frame for an AFL debut by end of the year then he might consider a move for more opportunity.
He might, but out of the small forward options we have playing VFL, Lohmann is well and truly ahead of him at this stage.
We also have players like AhChee, Cockatoo who would more likely be picked over him at this stage for his role and then DWJ and Brain who would be pushing him also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

30 goals in the VFL?

Yeah I don't think this year is his year. I think he'd know that too and would have known that when he signed an extension. Think the Sun's could potentially nab him but he turned down the Pies knowing he'd likely play VFL for us this year. Imagine the family connection is strong so don't expect he'd leave Queensland.

Yeah I don't think this year is his year. I think he'd know that too and would have known that when he signed an extension. Think the Sun's could potentially nab him but he turned down the Pies knowing he'd likely play VFL for us this year. Imagine the family connection is strong so don't expect he'd leave Queensland.
Good on him for staying patient.

Many highly talented youngsters would have assumed they would have debuted before their 4th year.
Guess he'd be looking at McCarthy's spot in the team and hoping he can make it his in the next year or two.

Been watching some replays from last season. Especially early games. One thing that has thing that has stood out like a sore thumb is just how important Adams is to our backline. Now we face the prospect of him and Gardiner not being there. Slightly concerned even with how good Payne looked against Geelong.

Been watching some replays from last season. Especially early games. One thing that has thing that has stood out like a sore thumb is just how important Adams is to our backline. Now we face the prospect of him and Gardiner not being there. Slightly concerned even with how good Payne looked against Geelong.
So agree, as soon as it became obvious that he wasn't playing I wrote the year of tbh. 'Maybe' Payne can play the muscle role enough so it doesn't matter but we are so much stronger in defence when Adams was playing vs not. I would put him in my top 5 most important players.

So agree, as soon as it became obvious that he wasn't playing I wrote the year of tbh. 'Maybe' Payne can play the muscle role enough so it doesn't matter but we are so much stronger in defence when Adams was playing vs not. I would put him in my top 5 most important players.
Yep I actually thought he went past Andrews as our best defender.

Yep I actually thought he went past Andrews as our best defender.

To be fair Andrews was playing through a knee injury. While Adams at 100% is a gun defender, Andrews at 100% is THE gun defender ij the league. I think we'll see that form again very soon.

I actually found some radio audio of the Brisbane v Port game from Round 1 last year. Isaac Smith was commentating, and setting aside our general dislike of Geelong for a moment, a lot of his comments were very interesting and well informed.

Among other things he commented on what a defensive game it was, unusual for Round 1, which I think comes back to something Fages said last year. Altho our defence was much maligned, it was really only from Round 10 onwards where it struggled. 9 rounds in (when we were 8-1) we had the 3rd best defence in the league and a % of 151.

So my concern isn't about our ability or willingness to defend so much, but more about how we respond when we are challenged strategically. Hawthorn ripped us apart in Round 10 last year, I think other teams went to town on that and we weren't the same team after that.

So I'm very much a "wait and see" on whether we have fixed up our defensive issues. The method, and the scoreboard, in the Sydney and Geelong games was terrific, but we WILL get figured out, and we WILL need to adapt, and do so on the fly, possibly even in-game. Last year we showed we were able to do that in attack (Richmond EF) when we were unable to do so previously (both 2021 finals). In 2023 the challenge will be to do that in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back