Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Love this goal from Hughy, need some more of this this year and some more confidence when kicking for goal.

That would have hit the goal umpire on the chest if he wanted to mark it.

I often wonder if it is feasible for players to pick out someone in the crowd behind the goal to kick to from set shots, I assume it has been tried but it doesn't make any difference.

I often wonder if it is feasible for players to pick out someone in the crowd behind the goal to kick to from set shots, I assume it has been tried but it doesn't make any difference.
Often that's been the advice to wayward goal kickers. A few cheer squads in the past have held up targets for the goal kicker to aim at.

I think that poor goal kicking is often blamed on technique and mental state when it is as much to do with where kicks are taken from and fatigue.

Check the below video. Sure Tony Lockett was a beautiful kick but he barely ran except when on the lead - certainly, he wasn't being asked to push up to help out a defensive press. Not stressing the body/mind with endurance running has to help goalkicking. And his goals on this day were all from marks, rarely more than from 30 out and hardly ever on a tight angle.

I'm playing soccer this year for the first time in about 30 years. Yes I will be terrible like I was the first time.

Anyway, one thing that's struck me is how at every training session we train with these miniature goals that are maybe a frac lower than normal soccer goals, but only about 2-2.5m wide. Compared to normal soccer goals which are about as wide (possibly even wider) than Aussie Rules goals. We have the normal goals available to use but we elect not to because we want our strikers to work on their accuracy etc.

I just don't understand why in Aussie Rules we are so arrogant that we've never thought to address the absolute mess, industry-wide really, which is accuracy in front of goal. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the first team to train with narrower goals will monopolise winning the flag until someone else copies them.

If I was involved with the Lions, and knowing we have our own facility now, I'd be drilling two holes, each 1/3rd distance inside each goal post, and sticking the goal posts in there for every training session (except where the focus is going to be on defence). If you want to take it further you can then move the behind posts in to where the goal posts would normally be. Sure, it would look odd, but elite sportspeople love a challenge and I reckon they'd embrace it, particularly bearing in mind what a competition it would become between each other.

I'm playing soccer this year for the first time in about 30 years. Yes I will be terrible like I was the first time.

Anyway, one thing that's struck me is how at every training session we train with these miniature goals that are maybe a frac lower than normal soccer goals, but only about 2-2.5m wide. Compared to normal soccer goals which are about as wide (possibly even wider) than Aussie Rules goals. We have the normal goals available to use but we elect not to because we want our strikers to work on their accuracy etc.

I just don't understand why in Aussie Rules we are so arrogant that we've never thought to address the absolute mess, industry-wide really, which is accuracy in front of goal. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the first team to train with narrower goals will monopolise winning the flag until someone else copies them.

If I was involved with the Lions, and knowing we have our own facility now, I'd be drilling two holes, each 1/3rd distance inside each goal post, and sticking the goal posts in there for every training session (except where the focus is going to be on defence). If you want to take it further you can then move the behind posts in to where the goal posts would normally be. Sure, it would look odd, but elite sportspeople love a challenge and I reckon they'd embrace it, particularly bearing in mind what a competition it would become between each other.
Fantastic idea... and good luck with the soccer, I played soccer all through my youth and Futsal until my late 50s.:soccerball:

Love this goal from Hughy, need some more of this this year and some more confidence when kicking for goal.

It wasn't quite miracle on the grass but it was beautiful and one of the highlights of the year (along with Joey's goal the week before for the win and that three kick coast to coast goal that I can't remember what round it was in)

away to Port, Home Demons, away Dogs.... not out of the question could be 0 and 3, or 3 and 0. Tough start I think!
Yeah it's certainly a possibility. I think it's unlikely to happen though. We have invested heavily in match simulation/ intraclub games. We are primed for a strong start to the year. If we start 0-3 that will be a major setback, regardless of the quality of the opposition.

Yeah it's certainly a possibility. I think it's unlikely to happen though. We have invested heavily in match simulation/ intraclub games. We are primed for a strong start to the year. If we start 0-3 that will be a major setback, regardless of the quality of the opposition.
I agree, i'm feeling confident. Top 4 would be tough but not out of the question from 0-3, this forum would be a sorry place to be though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't quite miracle on the grass but it was beautiful and one of the highlights of the year (along with Joey's goal the week before for the win and that three kick coast to coast goal that I can't remember what round it was in)
The one three kick coast to coast goal I remember was actually in 2021 against Geelong. Rich in the back pocket bisected 3 Cats players between defensive 50 and the back edge of the centre square to find Zorko. Zorko then wheeled onto his left and hit McCarthy in similarly little room at the front edge of the square. He went bang from 53 and the goal umpire barely moved. It was about as well executed a goal as I've ever seen from any team.

away to Port, Home Demons, away Dogs.... not out of the question could be 0 and 3, or 3 and 0. Tough start I think!
Every game is tough, but just think, Lions have had two practice games against last years grand finalists and beat both by big margins.
Admittedly Geelong and Sydney had players out, but so did Brisbane. I don't think they could be more ready to commence the season with some wins.

Just finished watching a replay of the Geelong practice game. One thing that really stood out to me that didn't as much whilst I was at the game was the performance from Jimmy Tunstill. He was/is absolutely desperate to chase from behind and put pressure on the ball carrier. Even just trying little things like that lunge at the very end to try to get body on to slightly affect an opponent's kick. Watching him do that it became noticeable how many of our guys DON'T do that. It was Mitch Robinson-esque in that regard.

What was not Mitch Robinson-esque however was his disposal. Several brilliant quick hands from the bottom of packs to find team mates in better positions, and a great kick to pick out Dev for his goal in the last quarter. Really the only blight on his game was hitting the post from his set shot in the third quarter, but even that kick he flushed from 50 basically and hit the post halfway up.

If I'm picking my best 23 he's hard to leave out for mine. Simply for his pressure on the opponent... I think he really sets an example for the rest of the team and in a big game you'd like to think that would be contagious. Would have him as part of the half forward-midfield rotation.

The one three kick coast to coast goal I remember was actually in 2021 against Geelong. Rich in the back pocket bisected 3 Cats players between defensive 50 and the back edge of the centre square to find Zorko. Zorko then wheeled onto his left and hit McCarthy in similarly little room at the front edge of the square. He went bang from 53 and the goal umpire barely moved. It was about as well executed a goal as I've ever seen from any team.
That's right! I'm living in the past ha ha. Footy can't come soon enough so I can stop reminiscing and start living it again!

Just finished watching a replay of the Geelong practice game. One thing that really stood out to me that didn't as much whilst I was at the game was the performance from Jimmy Tunstill. He was/is absolutely desperate to chase from behind and put pressure on the ball carrier. Even just trying little things like that lunge at the very end to try to get body on to slightly affect an opponent's kick. Watching him do that it became noticeable how many of our guys DON'T do that. It was Mitch Robinson-esque in that regard.

What was not Mitch Robinson-esque however was his disposal. Several brilliant quick hands from the bottom of packs to find team mates in better positions, and a great kick to pick out Dev for his goal in the last quarter. Really the only blight on his game was hitting the post from his set shot in the third quarter, but even that kick he flushed from 50 basically and hit the post halfway up.

If I'm picking my best 23 he's hard to leave out for mine. Simply for his pressure on the opponent... I think he really sets an example for the rest of the team and in a big game you'd like to think that would be contagious. Would have him as part of the half forward-midfield rotation.
Exciting to think that this is his only 2nd? season and right on the cusp. Imagine what he will be like with 4 seasons under him. He has a fast development rate and appears to be very coachable from what l have read.

Collingwood are rnd4, it's a very tough start to the season. I'll have a crack at some predictions.

I think we beat Port. Payne v Dixon will be interesting. Maybe some teething problems, errors. Port may even get away early, thru errors, but I think we're too good not to run over them by the final whistle. Hope they're switched on and hard arsed.

Melb at home. Gee's, hope Melb are slow starters, or I'm hoping everything clicked in the Port game and we're ready to play. Bit of home ground advantage, huge crowd, should be a ripper. I can't pencil in a win here, nor can I write us off. I wouldn't be calling for heads on pikes if we lose, so as not to be overconfident ill chalk it in for a loss.

I think Beveridge is shitty on us. I reckon he's thinking our weakness at the moment is our tall defenders. He maybe thinks playing 4 talls will stuff us up. Hasn't he been trialling this way preseason. I think we win, an away game tho, but I'm happy to take the odds here and take the win.

Collingwood, The Pies, my brother in laws team. I hope we flog them. Hope we put 60 on them. If we've hit some good form, players are gelling, the game plan is solid, at home, again with the crowd behind us. I reckon a statement game is on the cards. 24 point win at worst. Ashcroft v Daicos will be the media focus.

3-1 I have it, 2-2, if we stumble v Bulldogs. Either way encouraging for the season. Lids off if we're 4-0, lol. Fingers crossed we don't have a mess of long n med term injuries. It's the only way we could start 3-1, 0-4.

dont think his tanks there to play 4 quarters yet but wouldnt mind seeing a fair bit of tunstill as starting in the team with the plan of subbing him out when he runs out of gas

Exciting to think that this is his only 2nd? season and right on the cusp. Imagine what he will be like with 4 seasons under him. He has a fast development rate and appears to be very coachable from what l have read.
Yep I reckon he's a ripper, for the reasons Grasshopper17 gave. I reckon it's a W.A. thing. Dev and Prior also have that mongrel and chase. Big year for all those lads. I really like all 3.

I was looking up Priors details, he's only 3cm shorter than both Gardiner and Adams. He's 189cms on the lions site. That surprised me. I think he could play on a 3rd tall in defense (not a monster like Adams can). If Rayner does play back I think Prior as bench back allows Rayner to rotate into the midfield and we lockdown his man with Prior. Prior could also rotate thru the wing.

Yep I reckon he's a ripper, for the reasons Grasshopper17 gave. I reckon it's a W.A. thing. Dev and Prior also have that mongrel and chase. Big year for all those lads. I really like all 3.

I was looking up Priors details, he's only 3cm shorter than both Gardiner and Adams. He's 189cms on the lions site. That surprised me. I think he could play on a 3rd tall in defense (not a monster like Adams can). If Rayner does play back I think Prior as bench back allows Rayner to rotate into the midfield and we lockdown his man with Prior. Prior could also rotate thru the wing.
Prior is a defender in the mold of Grant Birchall. Better defender, but he's not a third tall type.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back