Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure I saw him during the initial warm up and stretch.

Haven’t seen him rotate through the section in front of me, but to be fair I was watching all the younger players.
So on the younger players - any stand out?

Off the top of my head:

How did Ashcroft and Fletcher look?
First impressions of Brain?
How did Sharp's disposal look?
Blake's running still poor but did he look more confident and involved?
Anyone seem to have gone away and really worked on weaknesses or built on strengths?

Rayner’s been on holidays with his girlfriend. Doubt he’s seen a treadmill in the land of the excessive portions.
He has actually come back in reasonable shape unlike last year (same time) when he came back carrying considerably more than he should. Like most of the young guns, as each year pass's, experience kicks in and they get a better understanding of what's good and not good for their bodies. Cam's tank is nowhere near where ultimately it should be (like Lachie) but he will get there sooner rather than later.

Off the top of my head:

Anyone seem to have gone away and really worked on weaknesses or built on strengths?
Meaning his body is more mature rather than carrying too much blubber?

Back at work today, I should be able to reply tonight.

Back at work today, I should be able to reply tonight.
serious the simpsons GIF

I don’t think it’s a team wide thing. As others have mentioned Rich, Zorko, Cockatoo etc all look to be in terrific nick comparatively to where they were last year. All I was comparing was how Cam returned after his reco and how diligent he was with that and getting into the shape of his life whereas it looks like those standards have dropped a little. Is that a little harsh? Maybe. But when you get paid $500k+ pa your job is to uphold those standards.

Anyway there is still plenty of time before round 1 to get right and like I said we need this guy to take the next step for us, because you could argue on talent alone he’d be top 5-6 on our list. I think he’ll bust his **** and be good to go once we get serious and round 1 rolls around.
Yeh, plenty of time to focus and get into top shape.
What is it over 3 months.
Let's hope he's had a great break and mentally primed to dominate.
He should still have a descent fitness base , you'd think ,so shouldn't take too long to get back to where he was and then hopefully the next step.
let's see how he is after Xmas.

Off the top of my head:

Ashcroft had a very laid back attitude in the drills.

He was doing some individual running with one of the coaches late in the session.

Fletcher wasn’t part of yesterday’s training, and didn’t see him.

Can’t say I focused on Sharp’s disposal.

Blake was as involved in the drills, but he didn’t stand out to me.

One we didn’t mention yesterday was Tunstill. He stood out in some of the kicking and running drills.

Other than that it was McKenna who stood out physically, skill wise, and running.

Ashcroft had a very laid back attitude in the drills.

He was doing some individual running with one of the coaches late in the session.

Fletcher wasn’t part of yesterday’s training, and didn’t see him.

Can’t say I focused on Sharp’s disposal.

Blake was as involved in the drills, but he didn’t stand out to me.

One we didn’t mention yesterday was Tunstill. He stood out in some of the kicking and running drills.

Other than that it was McKenna who stood out physically, skill wise, and running.

Cheers.

If Tunstill tidies up his skills he could challenge for a spot.

A 6-year deal gets him to 31 years old.
Very happy he has resigned just would prefer one year shorter to 30 years old
However, contracts don't appear to stop players from moving on or clubs moving on players
He still had one year to go on his old contract, so now he can concentrate on footy for the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good news. Keeps a local boy on, keeps us rich in tall forwards and most importantly keeps our culture strong. Thought he was rock solid this season so I don’t see why SM fools are carrying on about it since these deals are carried out to fit in with our yearly salary cap constraints.

Post on FB from one of the player sponsors who was at yesterday’s meet and greet, saying that Adams is still having blurred vision and suffering from dizziness, and the club has adopted a slow and steady approach to his recovery.

That'terrible news. I hope he's OK.

Really appreciate all the insight briztoon and Dalions. Cheers.

RE comments about Rayner, I wonder if thoughts like "oh we've had such a great trade period and draft, now all we have to do is turn up and it's all just gonna happen for us" might pervade into the group. Time will tell I guess.
Bloody hell. Can we at least wait until the first quarter of the first game like we usually do?

Post on FB from one of the player sponsors who was at yesterday’s meet and greet, saying that Adams is still having blurred vision and suffering from dizziness, and the club has adopted a slow and steady approach to his recovery.
Probably too early yet, but still with blurred vision one might suggest this could go the way of Justin Clarke or at least a year on the long term injury list. That would give the Lions list space - Briz, what are our options there? does a rookie get elevated or can we still bring someone from outside onto the list?

Probably too early yet, but still with blurred vision one might suggest this could go the way of Justin Clarke or at least a year on the long term injury list. That would give the Lions list space - Briz, what are our options there? does a rookie get elevated or can we still bring someone from outside onto the list?

Riley Greene would have to be a big consideration. Wonder if he's training with the boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back