Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to watch this afternoon. Think I might load up on Will for the Rising Star…………😍😍😍😍
He is the dead set favourite on the betting sites and Round 1 hasn't even begun.

I will put this article here as the 3-rule change interpretations will come up in the official preseason games.
Happy with the changes.
They could go further with the standing the mark rule and let go any small 1/4 or 1/2 step without a fake handball. Maybe they will.

No 50m penalties for fake handballs among rule tweaks

I'm not sure the Rayner at half back is a long-term thing. Surely just part of the development over the pre-season. Keep things fresh etc... I just don't see his skill set being of any benefit from half back? Not a great defensive runner, not a precise kick, not overly quick outside an initial burst. Now I read he is playing well there this afternoon, but from memory he has often torn these intraclubs a new one playing midfield and forward.

Tbh could just be to get him in the defensive mindset when playing in the middle/forward

For those who attended any comments on the progress of HSmith or Lane? I’ve picked them up in photos but I don’t think I’ve seen any comments.

just on Linc I like him in the side because he is one of the few players that can really lay a tackle that stops the opposition player. Maybe he needs to adjust the number of times he tries for the specie and instead hunts the ball and defender when the ball hits the ground.

Really appreciate all the posters who take the time to post reports.👍👍👍

One change to my best 23 after the Aspley game.
Out McKenna in Wilmot could have been Madden. With Answerth still to play after surgery. This HB spot up for grabs.
Still will leave Lyons out for now but he would come in for Dev.
I prefer McCluggage on the Wing for team balance but most likely he plays pure midfield with stints on the wing.

FB: Starcevich - Payne - Gardiner
HB: Rich - Andrews - Coleman
CW: McCluggage - Dunkley - Berry
HF: Bailey - Hipwood - Rayner
FF: Gunston - Daniher - Cameron

FOLL: McInerney - Neale - Ashcroft

Int: Zorko (F/M), McCarthy (F), Robertson (W/M), Wilmot (D)
Ah Chee TS

For those who attended any comments on the progress of HSmith or Lane? I’ve picked them up in photos but I don’t think I’ve seen any comments.

just on Linc I like him in the side because he is one of the few players that can really lay a tackle that stops the opposition player. Maybe he needs to adjust the number of times he tries for the specie and instead hunts the ball and defender when the ball hits the ground.

I agree. His presence as a consistently defensive minded forward is important to balance out most of the other forwards who play with a more attacking mindset.

I like the way these two have progressed, but our AFL side is a hard team to break into.
They just need to keep improving and see where it leads to.
Smith appears to be a bit more versatile for now but that could change.
They are our 2 tallest players and still young.

25​
Smith, Henry
0​
20yr 4mth24 Sep 2002
206cm​
100kg​
45​
Lane, Kalin R
0​
21yr 1mth5 Dec 2001
205cm​
99kg​

I expect the VFL opposition will find it harder to cope with these two in 2023.

As Mr Ripper mentioned above, Linc McCarthy is on a program that will have him ready for round one.
Linc is an important cog in the forward line along with Rayner.
He was our 4th highest goal scorer in 2022 and our most accurate.
2021 : 36 goals (career high) 15 behinds
2022 : 35 goals 13 behinds

Also, Linc was 4th in total tackles with 83 behind our 3 midfielders McCluggage 115, Neale 113 & Lyons 112

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Linc's been on modified training; no reason to think he's all of a sudden out of favour.

There will need to be some changes to the starting 22, beyond injuries.

McGo replaced by GUNston is one for one but with Dunkley and Ashcroft rightly being talked of a certain starters (as well as the Dev/Wilmot backers).....

Well somethings got to give.

I'm wondering with Marcus out and Payne developing/still on modified duties whether we're giving Cam some time in defence because he could be an option there.

Been hesitant to say this and others who follow the juniors will know more than me but on what I've seen of Ashcroft against his own age never seen anyone as outstandingly a class above. Hoping we have a champ.

I'm wondering with Marcus out and Payne developing/still on modified duties whether we're giving Cam some time in defence because he could be an option there.

Been hesitant to say this and others who follow the juniors will know more than me but on what I've seen of Ashcroft against his own age never seen anyone as outstandingly a class above. Hoping we have a champ.
Do you or anyone know what has happened to Payne? Why is he on modified duties?

i was impressed with what i saw of tunstill last year and the club seems to be promoting him a fair bit this preaseason. hoping he can take further steps and potentially even cement a spot in the 23 this year

officially on the tunstill train

Too early to tell I think. FWIW Ely Smith was all the rage last pre-season.

Too early to tell I think. FWIW Ely Smith was all the rage last pre-season.
To me it was obvious that the Ely Smith rage was faux. No substance, other than to generate some feel good stuff and perhaps create some motivation for Ely and give him some love. He was on the list for considerable time without looking like breaking in the top 35.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back