Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Buutt……………… We didn’t get Liam Jones!
Oh Yes David King....I see another headline article from him, where he is implying that Adams being out for the finals cost us big time. If someone can explain to me how Payne (especially his first half in the prelim), or Adams not playing cost us the game I would be interested. Yes Harris had his hands full with Hawkins and some might argue Adams would have taken him, but I don't buy that. We were comprehensively outplayed all over the park.

+ Dunkley = the missing pieces.
Yes, Most of the experts tip Lions to be the minor Premier and Most likely contender for 2023 Flag. I am a Freo Fan, But my top8 ladder for 2023 is
Brisbane
Geelong
Sydney
Richmond
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Carlton
With Collingwood and Bulldogs just missing out Or they may replace the last 2 (Freo and Carlton) in a tight ladder

Pics from the game: Facebook
Thanks for the images they are excellent.
It feels like i was in attendance without sitting in the oppressive conditions.

My favourite below. It's not the best image by a long shot.
For me it tells a story even without the players faces

1675466575802.png

Yes, Most of the experts tip Lions to be the minor Premier and Most likely contender for 2023 Flag. I am a Freo Fan, But my top8 ladder for 2023 is
Brisbane
Geelong
Sydney
Richmond
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Carlton
With Collingwood and Bulldogs just missing out Or they may replace the last 2 (Freo and Carlton) in a tight ladder
If the Bulldogs and Collingwood miss out, I would be thrilled!

Do they? Aren't experts tipping Richmond and Carlton to finish above us?

I'm a WA girl so I have a soft spot for Freo and west coast. I was at the Freo vs Bulldogs Elim final last year. Absolutely cracking game. Good luck for the season.

If the Bulldogs and Collingwood miss out, I would be thrilled!

Do they? Aren't experts tipping Richmond and Carlton to finish above us?

I'm a WA girl so I have a soft spot for Freo and west coast. I was at the Freo vs Bulldogs Elim final last year. Absolutely cracking game. Good luck for the season.
I saw the video of Will Schofield and one other guy ( I donot know the name) predicting Lions is the most likely contender and minor premier.
Yes there are people predicting Carlton and Richmond and it will be a tight ladder like last year.
The ladder I put is my own so there may be flaws... Good luck for Lions in 2023

Q3

Lights on

2:00 scrappy start to the quarter but after a rushed snap by McKenna goes into the pocket, Sharp is there to handball to Ashcroft in the goal square 88-100. Gunston roving his own dropped contested mark a feature of the build up.
4:00 Gunston marks a short Wilmot kick on 50. Handballs to Rich who nails it from 50 on the run. 94-100
6:00 Prior running between centre and the wing finds Gunston inside 50. He nails his set shot from 35. The longer this goes the better Jack looks. 100-100
7:00 Tunstill gives away a high tackle free kick inside 50. Red 48 misses badly to the left from 40 but red lead 100-101
8:30 tackle of the day from Joe. Had one arm pinned but not the ball, didn't drive him into the ground; no need. Clear holding the ball free kick. Everybody else take note. Too far out to score by the way
10:00 after a slow build up Neale spots McKenna in a NTTAWWTteenth of space. He marks and shapes to shoot but it's the old look away kick to Gunston who marks 30 out directly in front. Kicks truly again 106-101. Smart by McKenna - in a real game that's another 30 seconds off the clock as well
13:00 thrilling build up after a throw in deep in red's forward pocket. All the forwards get involved across midfield before Ashcroft marks in space 40 out. Proves he's human tho by dragging it left 107-101
18:00ish Big O outmarks Andrews on the behind line. Put around on the impossible angle he nails it. 107-107 but the game has officially reached "cue in the rack" territory. So much so that the time clock is now showing sponsors instead of the time
22:00ish Ashcroft wins a free kick for what I think was high contact. From 40 out in the pocket he goes the right foot snap and slots it. Missed the easy one, kicks the hard one. 113-107
23:00ish just noticed Gunston has been moved into defence with maroon hanging onto a slender lead. Maroon now content to play a bit of kick-mark between wing and half back. Gunston has assumed the quarterback role.
25:00ish brilliant snapped goal from Ashcroft from 45 under considerable pressure as the buzzer sounds 119-107

I'm hopeless at giving votes but I'll do my best

3 Gunston. I'd probably give him the 2 and the 1 if I could
2 Hipwood. Was good early
1 Ashcroft. That last goal gets him the 1. Quite brilliant

McCarthy probly 4th. Others will probably have very different votes and I'd trust their thoughts over mine!
Have to agree GH....hard to I.D some of our players wearing the Melbournish jumpers....ty for the hard work.

Thoughts on yesterdays game. I echo everything already said about Ashcroft and Gunston. Ashcroft will be putting up ridiculous numbers and Gunston I think is the smartest forward we've had in recent memory. Will be fascinating to see if Sharpe/Tunstill can get a wing spot. I think their endurance could be important and they have clearly improved. Hipwood covering the ground very nicely. I think yesterdays game puts the Rayner "learning experience" to an end.

Thanks G17 for the great write up. Work of key forwards sounds great. Did you pick up on the defensive match ups, particularly who Joyce was on. Did he look up to AFL standard if Gardiner and Payne don’t come up?
I must admit I wasn't paying a great deal of attention to matchups. I'm used to going along and watching my team, not both teams haha.

Thanks G17 for the great write up. Work of key forwards sounds great. Did you pick up on the defensive match ups, particularly who Joyce was on. Did he look up to AFL standard if Gardiner and Payne don’t come up?
Sadly no. Lacks game sense which we can only hope comes with some solid VFL time. In his defence he was matched up on Hippy and Daniher. Has the physical attributes and the effort. Doesn't shirk contact.

Sent from my SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking Gunston might be one of the underrated pickups of the season. Still has plenty to give and will change the way our forward line moves for the better imo. Almost felt like he was a replacement for McStay but he’s a pretty clear upgrade.
Gunston is still a 50+ goal forward in the right side, if he can stay on the park. No matter who he's playing with, he'll figure out how to have an impact around them and make them better. He's the perfect player for a team looking to take the final step and win a flag.

I reckon by the end of this season he'll be the consensus pick up of the year, with Dunkley as the only challenger. You blokes have both of em.

I saw the video of Will Schofield and one other guy ( I donot know the name) predicting Lions is the most likely contender and minor premier.
Yes there are people predicting Carlton and Richmond and it will be a tight ladder like last year.
The ladder I put is my own so there may be flaws... Good luck for Lions in 2023
I figured it was your own. Even if it wasn't, it's predicting the future so it's always going to be imperfect.
Appreciate the support though! Really need some non-vic teams winning more especially in the finals.

Thanks for the images they are excellent.
It feels like i was in attendance without sitting in the oppressive conditions.

My favourite below. It's not the best image by a long shot.
For me it tells a story even without the players faces

View attachment 1599808

Thanks but just pointing out not my photos. Highflyer Images provide a fantastic service taking photos of community sporting events and occasionally, Lions intra club games. It’s run by Deion Menzies and his wife and some helpers

Ideally it’s something they’ve focussed on. I felt a large part of our iffy f50 entries last year were down to forwards not leading. We’d mark the ball down the wing, the player would look up to move it on quick - but forwards never led with initiative; causing the play to slow down and the opposition to set up.
I’ve always felt Gunston was a threat purely because he is an awesome lead. Reckon he is going to really clear congestion in the forward line for us.

Thanks but just pointing out not my photos. Highflyer Images provide a fantastic service taking photos of community sporting events and occasionally, Lions intra club games. It’s run by Deion Menzies and his wife and some helpers
Thats okay that they are not your photos.
But you supplied the link which is much appreciated.

I’ve always felt Gunston was a threat purely because he is an awesome lead. Reckon he is going to really clear congestion in the forward line for us.

I suspect he's also going to be used in the back line at times, like yesterday's game.

Might be wishful thinking on my part, I think our weakest area is the backline. As good as Harris is as a general, Gunston will have a lot to contribute to help back line cohesion.

I suspect he's also going to be used in the back line at times, like yesterday's game.

Might be wishful thinking on my part, I think our weakest area is the backline. As good as Harris is as a general, Gunston will have a lot to contribute to help back line cohesion.
I feel like a less chaos ball forwardline will help prevent rebound attacks and therefore help the backline.

sounds like Payne did not play again yesterday, is there any word on why? I had him down for a decent year this year, building on last year. I believe him feeling like the position is his he will develop into a very solid citizen for us.

sounds like Payne did not play again yesterday, is there any word on why? I had him down for a decent year this year, building on last year. I believe him feeling like the position is his he will develop into a very solid citizen for us.
He was running laps before the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back