Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Choosing the glass half full, Max's injury early in the summer at least allows us the entire preseason to work on leading patterns and forward entries, some of our biggest areas of concern the last few years. We need strong ideas of how a forward setup should work, regardless of the cattle. Coaches will have to get a little creative but we need much more movement, cohesively working together to create space and options. Bombing it to outnumbered Max will be a thing of the past thankfully.

Jack Higgins is going to be a very dangerous player for us next year, wouldn't surprise me to see him kick fifty goals depending on how long Max is out for. He looks noticeably bigger and stronger and did very well in the 3km time trial, I reckon he'd be pumped that Ross is the Boss and I'm expecting a big season from Jack. I think he'll be one of the dominant forwards in the comp, really hard to match up on. He was getting a lot of shots on goal early this year even with Max in the team. Should probably get more space to work in with Sharman actually leading and Timmy always on the move. Gonna be exciting to watch, looking forward to it. 🧐

Getting 2 or 3 goals out of Higgins, Butler, Sharman, Membrey and who ever else goes forward and a couple of mids popping up would be better than kicking 90% of traffic through King who is a bad kicking day off a loss for the club. This might be short term pain for long term gain.

Sharman to defence was pretty bloody average thinking as was Battle to wing. We had so many better options than those 2 decisions. Let’s hope the returning coaches are a bit smarter than that.

I liked (and actually called for) Battle on the wing. It didn't work but I thought it was worth a shot. Mason Wood managed it far better though.

Sharman is a natural half forward though.

Leads well, sticky hands, reliable set shot.

If the gameplan was a little more complex than "Dump it to King" he probably would have broken out as expected.

Fingers crossed that happens under Ross now.

Not a fan of ruck/ forwards holding down a FF position for long, so we need to look at natural forwards such as Membrey, Sharman or Battle for that position. Nothing much else available. Hayes had one big game, but didn't show a huge amount otherwise up to getting injured, and when fit would be of better use up the ground with his style of play. A good test for RL to sort this one out.

Having a spiller for the small forwards to feed off is a decent plan. You can carry a tall who is just there to compete and spill the ball out the back. Hayes got that role. A few times he deliberately dropped the ball out the back into space when he had the chance to compete for a mark. That can be a Campbell/Heath type too. But you want someone who'll stop the opposition backs intercepting.

Getting 2 or 3 goals out of Higgins, Butler, Sharman, Membrey and who ever else goes forward and a couple of mids popping up would be better than kicking 90% of traffic through King who is a bad kicking day off a loss for the club. This might be short term pain for long term gain.
No one is mentioning my boy Mattaes!!

No one is mentioning my boy Mattaes!!

It could also be Owens, Hotton or even Byrnes. He looked like he was with the forward group in a training pic.

Could see Owens playing forward in a Heeney like position. Never seen him play a game (except for his debut) where he wasn’t at the very least a threat to the scoreboard.

I’d be a big fan of focusing on our defence and midfield to be stable and flowing, whilst just putting the dangerous x-factor players up forward. Owens, Gresham, Higgins, Butler, Membrey, Sharman. It’s short but at least for of those players are good marks, and all of them have goals nous.

And hell, if you really really need a tall target up front… could we see the debut of 204cm Max Heath? It’s a bit out there but he’s gotta get some experience at some point, and seems to play a lot of forward at Sandy. Could just bring it to ground if he’s ready.

Sharman to defence was pretty bloody average thinking as was Battle to wing. We had so many better options than those 2 decisions. Let’s hope the returning coaches are a bit smarter than that.
Sharman was playing like s**t as a forward and was moved back to actually get him touch of the football. Its happened hundreds of times before to get players back into some sort of form and it will continue to happen as long as it keeps working. You may not have liked it but he as underperforming in his supposed "natural position" and something had to be done to get him a game.

Whilst it's far from ideal l believe the team has the personnel to cover this so long as there's enough brain power behind it.
It's great for Membrey, Coops, Snags and hopefully Chito that the mids will have to look for other options and break the habit of bombing to Max.
Expectations are reduced whilst application is increased, it'll supercharge team development this year.
I can't wait for round 1.

Yep to take the obvious focus and reliance away from King (we've all been saying that for a while!) can only be a good thing for our other forwards and the team in general and should make us harder to defend against in the long run. Plainly it's a shame it takes a serious injury to Max, but ultimately I've decided there's now a whole new level of intrigue for the coming season and am looking forward to Snags in the AA team!

Wasn't the reason why he was moved from the forward line was because 'he was found out' ? I sm sure that's what I read somewhere

At the game, versus TV watching, you can can a whole new perspective on players.

With Sharman, like any player he needs to learn and progress.

But at the game one thing you could see last season was that he was doing was to lead, and lead again. Often very good leads with him in the clear. But time after time the ball carrier would just pump it over Max's head instead, and Sharman was often ignored.

Opposition coaches and players were delighted, for after Max started the year with some 4 goal blitzes they no longer left him one on one. Strategy became one opponent would body Max so that he could not mark it easily, and and another opponent or two would be ready for the crumbs to gather and clear.

Eventually they tried him down back, and in the main I thought he played quite decently. One reason being is that he was not reliant on having to present and hope a team mate then passed to you. Instead he was able to use his own judgement to defend including to spoil.

I liked (and actually called for) Battle on the wing. It didn't work but I thought it was worth a shot. Mason Wood managed it far better though.

Yes, Wood on the wing worked really well, and he really knows now how to play the "modern winger" role well. Compared to Battle he is quicker, is more agile and has a bigger tank and at 192cm is only 1 cm shorter.

That extra pace and endurance allows him to get back and support our backs, but also really press forward to be a marking option.

At the game, versus TV watching, you can can a whole new perspective on players.

But at the game one thing you could see last season was that he was doing was to lead, and lead again. Often very good leads with him in the clear. But time after time the ball carrier would just pump it over Max's head instead, and Sharman was often ignored.

Opposition coaches and players were delighted, for after Max started the year with some 4 goal blitzes they no longer left him one on one. Strategy became one opponent would body Max so that he could not mark it easily, and and another opponent or two would be ready for the crumbs to gather and clear.

Eventually they tried him down back, and in the main I thought he played quite decently. One reason being is that he was not reliant on having to present and hope a team mate then passed to you. Instead he was able to use his own judgement to defend including to spoil.
Agree. Too many times the players just defaulted to bomb it on top of Max's head.

Many options to goal if they open their eyes and there is plenty of fwd movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah l thought he did an amazing job in the backline after what 1 game's practice in the VFL.
It just went to reinforce that he's a very smart player and deceptively quick and athletic.
I might get cained for this, but last year he should have been used for Membrey's role and long term a tall utility/forward. Let him off the leash.

Last year we had one marking target. Max.

Now we will have most likely 4 who can beat or 50/50 the contest.

For years we have needed a small marking forward...Jack Higgins is that..just never got much of a look in with Max there.

Membrey played up the ground to link up for the kick out of the backline....now we have Mason Wood and DMac good mark (when fit) that can swap with him almost like for like allowing him to be more dangerous when deep in fwd 50.

Sharman is a lead up forward but also with spring and good hands and a great kick. Back him one on one to get his share.

Roma different again very good one on one almost immovable in a contested mark.

Rotate Steele and Owens through there as well... different styles again and the defence needs to always shift and change to the new style of forward.

Basketball is about pasing and moving the defence until it makes a mistake and over commits...will be the mantra for us in first 10 weeks of the season.

RTB has the clarity of thought and accountable messaging to make it happen.

Be interesting to watch.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's mid to late April, yeah not bad at all. So Round 5 to 7 return. Maybe a few matches at Sandy too.
I would be furious if max came back via Sandy.

His last game there, that clown tried to make a name for himself and tried to end Max.

I’d rather carry him at senior level, then risk s**t like that again at VFL level.

I would be furious if max came back via Sandy.

His last game there, that clown tried to make a name for himself and tried to end Max.

I’d rather carry him at senior level, then risk s**t like that again at VFL level.

Agree, give him an extra week of intense body on body work internally rather than let him get targeted.

Sharman was playing like s**t as a forward and was moved back to actually get him touch of the football. Its happened hundreds of times before to get players back into some sort of form and it will continue to happen as long as it keeps working. You may not have liked it but he as underperforming in his supposed "natural position" and something had to be done to get him a game.

He was going at a goal a game as a forward in 2022 unless you want to count the Freo game where he was an unused medi-sub. Hardly s**t and Ratts had him running end to end with the play in the high half forward role rather than a set third tall forward. They dropped him and then moved him down back when he did come back in where he played a similar role as he did in the forward line. He started just outside 50 to help rebound the ball rather than a set third tall back role.

Sharman came in at the end of 2021 and averaged 2 goals a game in 5 games and we some of us thought holy **** we might have Max’s 10 year partner. Then what happens in 2022. Trialed on the wing, used as a defensive forward then sent to the backline to cover for an injury. Young forwards rarely average 2 goals a game and instead of building on that we chose to stuff him around. He’s a good athlete, hits the packs hard and is a good shot for goal I think Max’s injury will be the making of him. Please Ross just settle him in the forward line.
Remember that amazing match against freo where max was injured and coops became our number 1 forward? Dominated

Having a spiller for the small forwards to feed off is a decent plan. You can carry a tall who is just there to compete and spill the ball out the back. Hayes got that role. A few times he deliberately dropped the ball out the back into space when he had the chance to compete for a mark. That can be a Campbell/Heath type too. But you want someone who'll stop the opposition backs intercepting.
Campbell Heath can do that but Hayes is different. He’s actually a key forward can mark can kick goals knows forward craft.

Campbell Heath can do that but Hayes is different. He’s actually a key forward can mark can kick goals knows forward craft.
yes, but Hayes won't be coming back till approx round 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back