Training 2023 pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but Buddy is a year older - and was average last year. He'll be below average this year.
No knock on the bloke, but time is undefeated.
Unless Amartey steps up to fill the void it's going to be interesting. He's shown glimpses. I hope he can flourish.
Buddy wasn't average. Was he prime Buddy, no. Was he still one of the best KPFs in the league, yes.

Yes but Buddy is a year older - and was average last year. He'll be below average this year.
Unless Amartey steps up to fill the void it's going to be interesting. He's shown glimpses. I hope he can flourish.
We also won a flag in 2012 where our leading goalkicker was Jetta, 14th in the league. Goodes was next, outside the top 20.

Pies and Carlton two shakiest of my predictions for sure. I just figure Carlton have to have one good season in them with the talent they have. Surely.
Tich getting the ball is going to be very interesting for Pies. He's good at farming it out to people and the pies have a lot of runners. Could be a marriage made in heaven.
I think the Tigers list is just strong everywhere.

We are really going to lack the key forward besides Reid to kick goals on a consistent basis to make the top 4 IMO. Unless we go helter skelter and have smaller forward line this year. Heeney and Parker up forward as marking options a fair bit as a game plan it could work and push us higher. If Amartey comes on then it will be different.
Mhm.
Rookie mistake.

Your a hard task master, he was only 13 goals off the Coleman medallist. At his age is alot better then average, in my book that's a great return.

Your a hard task master, he was only 13 goals off the Coleman medallist. At his age is alot better then average, in my book that's a great return.
Fair points. There's no doubting he is an all-time great. I hope his marking improves in likely his last season as he relies less on the athleticism.

I'll be disappointed if we finish bottom half of the 8 (unless we go on to make a prelim anyway). I'll be unpleasantly surprised if we don't play finals.
I agree. Top 4 is a minimum pass mark based upon last season's results. I want a ruthless Sydney team. I think this list has the capability to become ruthless. It has the talent. It has shown it can get to a grand final. It has shown it can play and win epic games against quality opposition(eg Richmond and Geelong games). Sydney, if you look at the age and games experience of the majority of the best 22, has not hit it's peak yet. Adding a touch of hardness, and reducing the amount of times we give up multiple goals will hopefully improve our consistency. No more drop offs in games.

Sydney will get better in the next few years. Definitely. Hopefully get top 4 and go one better this year. It is a tough competition to win let alone make top 4. I think the internal rate of improvement is massive in a lot of players including Gulden, Warner, Rowbottom, McDonald, McCartins, Stephens, McInerney especially let alone others.

Easy to say. harder to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After making a grand final unexpectedly, with a relatively young team compared to those around us, I'd be pretty disappointed if we don't make Top 4 and push again. And I'm usually one of the more pessimistic ones on here. It'll depend on the likes of Buddy, Rampe, one of the rucks, having decent years. They don't need to be in prime form, but good enough. Improvement from Logan, Buddy still kicking around 35-40, continued improvement from our younger mids, a mix of mids and smaller types kicking goals, being competitive in the ruck, Rampe (or Gould) still being able to take a good forward, all will be factors, but achievable.

Look at this list of 20-25 year olds. None of them should have hit their peaks, some of them won't for years. All of them should be even better in 2023, than what they've shown before. Maybe there's question marks on whether Wicks can get back to form, or whether McAndrew, Gould can perform at the level, though there's promising signs. Even the likes of Sheather were exciting when fit. Haven't even really seen what Sheldrick, Warner jnr, Magor (the draftee that excites me most), Konstanty will do.

1678517757854.png

I'll be disappointed if we finish bottom half of the 8 (unless we go on to make a prelim anyway). I'll be unpleasantly surprised if we don't play finals.
Oh my comment was me being positive lol. Evidently that didn't come through to everyone.

History shows that the year post-GF drubbing can be a rough one for teams and they don't play finals. If we can defy that and make top 8, even if it's in the bottom half of the eight, then I think that's a pretty good result. Anything more and I think it'd be a very good result.

Oh my comment was me being positive lol. Evidently that didn't come through to everyone.

History shows that the year post-GF drubbing can be a rough one for teams and they don't play finals. If we can defy that and make top 8, even if it's in the bottom half of the eight, then I think that's a pretty good result. Anything more and I think it'd be a very good result.
Tbf, we made top 4 again the year after a grand final drubbing.

Tbf, we made top 4 again the year after a grand final drubbing.
We sure did, with the same coach too. That's why I'm very optimistic about this year. I just think if it doesn't pan out that way and we only end up in the bottom half of the eight, I think that's still a good outcome.

Heeney might pass him as our leading goalkicker, but Reid certainly won't.
No i highly doubt Reid will become our number one goal kicker, i fully expect alot of players to go past him this year purely on the fact I don't expect him to play as many games as he did last year and for team balance the times he does he isn't that sole focus.
Would LOVE if we could get a fwd line of Heeney, Hayward, Papley and Logan all up around the 40 mark at the end of the year and have a bunch of 20 goal mids like Warner, Parker already are especially if Errol ups his time at cbas but still hitting the scoreboard as usual. Then have guys like Mills & Rowbottom & Stephens jump from 10, 8 and 4 respectively and then we are talking!!

We have one of the hardest draws in 2023 it does effect things considerably where you finish at the end of 23 rounds.

Our double ups are teams that consistently give us trouble and have improved in the off season.

Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, Richmond

Thats some of the toughest double ups in terms of matchups we can have.

Way too much pessimism in this thread. Top 4 should be the expectation on everyone's mind. * history and * statistics. We're young and mentally tough. Also we have this seasons Brownlow medalist on the list which is a huge boost

That's exactly what I thought you meant. I just don't feel as positive about it as you. Making finals is a bare pass mark. I expect more. I feel like the competition is definitely hot but we have every reason to demand that we finish top 4 and dream of a flag.

We have one of the hardest draws in 2023 it does effect things considerably where you finish at the end of 23 rounds.

Our double ups are teams that consistently give us trouble and have improved in the off season.

Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne, Richmond

Thats some of the toughest double ups in terms of matchups we can have.

We beat the Dees 3 times, GWS twice, beat Freo, Tigers, Cats once.

If we hadn't lost to Gold Coast, it'd have been 9-1 against these teams in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back