Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
That's an interesting observation. I've read (haven't checked the stats myself) that as the season went by Paddy was allowed less latitude by opposition and made more accountable. If Paddy's being made more accountable perhaps it creates an opportunity for someone else to take more intercepts and that could be Francis. The tricky part, the really tricky part is, at whose expense? Maybe if Rampe starts slowing down it could be his - but can't see that happening Round 1 without injury. Could Fox be super unlucky again? Otherwise can't see who would leave to make room for Francis without injury.

As already confirmed, Sid is Caleb Mitchell, so named after Sid from Ice Age. That was told to me directly by staff at the club.

Finally, Melican is the resident Adonis. Perhaps Hayward can take the vacant Ganymede title? At least until Lewis vacates, potentially later this season...
If Fox gets dropped, I'll start the "Sack Horse" thread.

Maximumlnsanity

All Australian
Nov 10, 2020
Hobart
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Papley on SEN track all afternoon (only worth tuning in if you are into horse racing).

But they did just ask him about preseason and who was the best performed and he said Caleb Mitchell, Konstanty and Dylan Stephens.
That tracks, the first 2 in particular are getting all the hype

Is Sheldrick becoming the boards new Gould
I personally don't get it bedders. But I like it. I'm almost certain I have gotten into more arguments on here when defending players I rate than I have knocking the ones I don't. I think it's a cool thing when people go into bat for their favourites, even if I don't see what they see. Makes for more lively discussions than "I don't think x will make it"..."Yeah agreed."

Zanerednwhite

Debutant
Feb 2, 2023
AFL Club
Sydney
That's an interesting observation. I've read (haven't checked the stats myself) that as the season went by Paddy was allowed less latitude by opposition and made more accountable. If Paddy's being made more accountable perhaps it creates an opportunity for someone else to take more intercepts and that could be Francis. The tricky part, the really tricky part is, at whose expense? Maybe if Rampe starts slowing down it could be his - but can't see that happening Round 1 without injury. Could Fox be super unlucky again? Otherwise can't see who would leave to make room for Francis without injury.

As already confirmed, Sid is Caleb Mitchell, so named after Sid from Ice Age. That was told to me directly by staff at the club.

Finally, Melican is the resident Adonis. Perhaps Hayward can take the vacant Ganymede title? At least until Lewis vacates, potentially later this season...
They weren't wrong
Screenshot_20230208-193128_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230208-193112_Google.jpg

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I personally don't get it bedders. But I like it. I'm almost certain I have gotten into more arguments on here when defending players I rate than I have knocking the ones I don't. I think it's a cool thing when people go into bat for their favourites, even if I don't see what they see. Makes for more lively discussions than "I don't think x will make it"..."Yeah agreed."

What's your beef with Sheldrick?

Spare no detail

You didn't see a place for Mills in our midfield either.
That's not true at all.

I was one of many who was sceptical about the prospect of moving one of our best defenders out of defence at a time when we were a bottom four side, and I was unsure if what we'd gain from having him in the midfield was worth the risk of what we'd lose from not having him in defence.

I think that's different to having doubts that a one-gamer can crack a midfield that made the GF.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
That's not true at all.

I was one of many who was sceptical about the prospect of moving one of our best defenders out of defence at a time when we were a bottom four side, and I was unsure if what we'd gain from having him in the midfield was worth the risk of what we'd lose from not having him in defence.

I think that's different to having doubts that a one-gamer can crack a midfield that made the GF.

You said quite a few times you didn't think he would be a good midfielder though.

You said quite a few times you didn't think he would be a good midfielder though.
No. I said I doubted if what he would add to the midfield - given his similarities to Parker and Rowbottom, pretty much our only two set mids at the time - was worth taking away what he added to our defence. This was a common thought among Swans fans who recognised we had a need for him in both roles.

Did my doubts prove unfounded? Absolutely. As I mentioned on the previous page, it turns out his similarities to Rowbottom in particular have actually ended up a massive strength of ours, probably the single biggest key to our success in games. I never doubted he'd be a good midfielder though.

But the situations aren't comparable. Mills was one of our best players and the scepticism was over which of two positions he'd be most valuable. Sheldrick has played one game and the scepticism is if there's even a place for him. So not sure what your point was.

Reading Horse's interview that hairy biker posted in the media thread, sounds like Konstanty might've put himself on the inside track for that small forward spot throughout the pre-season so far. Now we await the pre-season games to see if one of his rivals can catch up and cross the tape first!

Zanerednwhite

Debutant
Feb 2, 2023
AFL Club
Sydney
Reading Horse's interview that hairy biker posted in the media thread, sounds like Konstanty might've put himself on the inside track for that small forward spot throughout the pre-season so far. Now we await the pre-season games to see if one of his rivals can catch up and cross the tape first!
Speaking of the pre season games, does anyone know if the scratch match will be streamed at all?

Callipygian

Team Player
May 18, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

I'm actually thinking Konstanty may be in the box seat for a Round 1 debut too. I say this because:

(a) we've heard him talked up a lot;

(b) I've learned that Ryan Clarke has had at least two separate injury issues over the pre-season;

(c) this week Sheldrick has been training with the mids.

And we haven't heard much about Wicks recently. So bring him on!

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Speaking of the pre season games, does anyone know if the scratch match will be streamed at all?
Still undetermined and I wouldn't expect any details until much closer to the game. And by that I mean with 2 minutes to go before kick off we're still in the dark.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
C88 also suggested we trade Rowbottom last pre-season. A few months ago he was saying that Rowbottom has overtaken Mills as our most important player. Hang on a second, are they both sh*t or elite??? Add that to his judgement of Taranto and Hopper as "under whelming", and his love affair with Hewett (as the cleanest midfielder ever!). Recently he stated that Mills and Rowbum are the same type of player and therefore theres no room for Sheldrick. Hes correct, all three are the same type of player - they all play inside mid. All three are very different and are likely to be given different roles...
Then he states theres a "5th cog who will attend 40% of centre bounces' (didn't know c88 has been talking to Horse?), who at the moment is Paps but should be Gulden. Paps, Heeney, Gulden, JMac, + Stephens and others all played the '5th cog' - it was determined by the needs of the moment - does Paps/Heeney need to get their Hands on the ball? Is the match up suited to JMac? do we have too many predominately outside players on the field right now? etc etc..
Ive stopped reading his posts regarding midfielders

Bloods86

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Everton, Socceroos
C88 also suggested we trade Rowbottom last pre-season. A few months ago he was saying that Rowbottom has overtaken Mills as our most important player. Hang on a second, are they both sh*t or elite??? Add that to his judgement of Taranto and Hopper as "under whelming", and his love affair with Hewett (as the cleanest midfielder ever!). Recently he stated that Mills and Rowbum are the same type of player and therefore theres no room for Sheldrick. Hes correct, all three are the same type of player - they all play inside mid. All three are very different and are likely to be given different roles...
Then he states theres a "5th cog who will attend 40% of centre bounces' (didn't know c88 has been talking to Horse?), who at the moment is Paps but should be Gulden. Paps, Heeney, Gulden, JMac, + Stephens and others all played the '5th cog' - it was determined by the needs of the moment - does Paps/Heeney need to get their Hands on the ball? Is the match up suited to JMac? do we have too many predominately outside players on the field right now? etc etc..
Ive stopped reading his posts regarding midfielders
If those were your takeaways, I'd suggest you didn't read the Rowbottom trade and Hewett posts in the first place.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
That’s very good news for the Swans, especially for those of us who put Clarke in the meh category.

Back