AFLW 2023 Predictions

The Demons of Melbourne will...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Went through the fixture round by round, predicting (what I believe are) favourites for 90% of the games, 5% of the games I favoured home teams when it was a too close to call match-up, and 5% of games I went for the big time underdog, because upsets happen!

This is what I've come up with for the end of the home and away season.

1. Adelaide - 9 wins and 1 loss
2. Melbourne - 8 wins and 2 losses
3. Kangaroos - 8 wins and 2 losses
4. Brisbane - 8 wins and 2 losses
5. Geelong - 8 wins and 2 losses
6. Richmond - 6 wins and 4 losses
7. Collingwood - 6 wins and 4 losses
8. Essendon - 6 wins and 4 losses
---------------------------------------------
9. Bulldogs - 5 wins and 5 losses
10. Gold Coast - 5 wins and 5 losses
11. Sydney - 4 wins and 6 losses
12. Fremantle - 4 wins and 6 losses
13. Port Adelaide - 4 wins and 6 losses
14. Hawthorn - 2 wins and 8 losses
15. Carlton - 2 wins and 6 losses
16. GWS - 2 wins and 6 losses
17. St Kilda - 2 wins and 6 losses
18. West Coast - 1 win and 9 losses

Finals:
Week 1
Adelaide beats Brisbane
Melbourne beats the Kangaroos
Geelong beat Essendon
Richmond loses to Collingwood

Week 2
Brisbane beats Geelong
Kangaroos beat Collingwood

Week 3
Adelaide beat Kangaroos
Melbourne beats Brisbane

Grand Final
Adelaide beats Melbourne

More FT scores from today:

WCE 3.6.24 def by Frem 11.10.76
Carl 2.2.14 def by Melb 5.5.35
Haw 3.8.26 def by WB 5.1.31
BL 8.5.53 def by Adel 13.9.87
Coll 3.4.22 def by Geel 5.6.36

Are stats/reports for these games going to be up anywhere?
Most clubs have put up a report on their own website. No stats, other than goalkickers in some cases.

That's a pretty high scoring match! I wonder if both clubs just went for a shootout.

Good signs for Adelaide considering they struggled to kick a decent score last season. Only managed more than four goals four times in 13 games.
They played 5 "quarters", which I think were also longer than standard. Not sure what the thinking is behind these different decisions--the Hawks and Dogs only played three 18-minute periods.

They played 5 "quarters", which I think were also longer than standard. Not sure what the thinking is behind these different decisions--the Hawks and Dogs only played three 18-minute periods.

Aha - reminds me of the (men's) practice matches from a year or two back where we played seven periods for some reason.

Still a pretty impressive score. I look forward to seeing the goalkickers, but at this stage there doesn't seem to be a match report.

That's a pretty high scoring match! I wonder if both clubs just went for a shootout.

Good signs for Adelaide considering they struggled to kick a decent score last season. Only managed more than four goals four times in 13 games.
Watched the first quarter and half. Was perfect weather and ground conditions.
Adelaide looked strong.

Take another guess at the Rising Star award, in light of the new criteria announced today.

This article has a link to an updated list of eligible players:
Jasmine Fleming a shoe-in for the award now

Jasmine Fleming a shoe-in for the award now
Yes well 1st and 2nd place finishers from last season Ewings and Dowrick are no longer eligible, 5th place finisher Wilcox has had some off-season injury trouble, and Ham is set to miss a chunk of games again.

So that all can't hurt the chances of Fleming and Roberts, who only finished 2 votes apart.

Teen Wolf denies ever having said:
Take another guess at the Rising Star award, in light of the new criteria announced today.

This article has a link to an updated list of eligible players:

To be clear, I'm not saying we all must take another guess. Don't let any weirdo trick you into thinking otherwise. I'm saying we all may take another guess. Not coldly and bluntly instructing "take another guess" (I would never write something like that).
Fixed the link to the article, should be right now.

Last edited:
Yes well 1st and 2nd place finishers from last season Ewings and Dowrick are no longer eligible, 5th place finisher Wilcox has had some off-season injury trouble, and Ham is set to miss a chunk of games again.

So that all can't hurt the chances of Fleming and Roberts, who only finished 2 votes apart.

Fixed the link to the article, should be right now.
I’m now going Ella Roberts for the Rising Star

Crows narrowly up over Geelong 8.8.56 to 7.8.50. Geelong looked pretty good in the second half.

Teah Charlton was probably the standout performer for the Crows, especially her first half. Jess Allan with a good showing back at her old club. Bonner looked lively in a half of football, don't think she played the second half.

Chloe Scheer is a fantastic footballer. I wish she was still at the Crows :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some close ones and some big ol' beatdowns in today's praccos. Carlton v Gold Coast R1, both teams coming off pre-season losses to Sydney, that's a dilemma.

BL 7.8.50 def GC 0.2.2
NM 11.11.77 def WB 2.2.14
Syd 5.8.38 def Carl 4.5.29
Frem 4.7.31 def Coll 4.6.30
Melb 8.16.64 def Haw 0.6.6
Adel 8.8.56 def Geel 7.8.50

WCE 6.7.43 def Ess 5.4.34

...in the last match of pre-season '23. So that's another result raising questions. Might stick with Hawthorn to win R1 now.

Pies i feel are flying under the radar and aflw9 will be their time to shine and they have gone to youth now and re shaped their list.

They have Bri and Bonnici back as well.

Has some x factor about them and a team to watch.

Still got some flag stars of the 2019 vflw in there.

Should make it to the play offs and finish around 6th

Last few aflws have been good week 2 finals is the aim.

Still need to win a final.

But going well.

AFLW9 2024 is more their time.

aflw8 2023 will be like a foundation season for them.

Pies i feel are flying under the radar and aflw9 will be their time to shine and they have gone to youth now and re shaped their list.

They have Bri and Bonnici back as well.

Has some x factor about them and a team to watch.

Still got some flag stars of the 2019 vflw in there.

Should make it to the play offs and finish around 6th

Last few aflws have been good week 2 finals is the aim.

Still need to win a final.

But going well.

AFLW9 2024 is more their time.

aflw8 2023 will be like a foundation season for them.
Dunno about that. Lost more talent than they brought in. Their atrocious forward line has got even worse with Membrey and Molloy gone. Not sure where the goals are going to come from?

Davey and Schleicher at FF is what I'd be trying. Morris-Dalton and Ash Brazill as the other tall targets, Eliza James and Aishling Sheridan as the main smalls. Would that be so bad.

Barber's so often injured, I'm not sure how heavily I'd rely on her, but she might be more likely to play R1 than Davey and Brazill.

Davey and Schleicher at FF is what I'd be trying. Morris-Dalton and Ash Brazill as the other tall targets, Eliza James and Aishling Sheridan as the main smalls. Would that be so bad.

Barber's so often injured, I'm not sure how heavily I'd rely on her, but she might be more likely to play R1 than Davey and Brazill.
Not sure that's a winning formula. Davey's a mid. Schleicher a back. If Brazill and Davey miss round 1 and Fredericks in the ruck they are very light on.

There were big wraps on Morris-Dalton at WB but she didn't really come on. Should get a massive amount of supply here as there literally might be no other tall target to kick to.

Not sure that's a winning formula. Davey's a mid. Schleicher a back. If Brazill and Davey miss round 1 and Fredericks in the ruck they are very light on.
Seems like they are wherever the coach puts them. One area the Pies definitely aren't light on is the backline.

I don't think there's anything about Schleicher (who used to be a forward) that demands she play in defence. Certainly hunts the ball and tackles ferociously, but a 5-player forward-line needs such players.

Davey (who used to be a back) rested deep forward in her B&F year. I can't imagine that not being more of the case this year, coming off a lower fitness base and also factoring in the new interchange cap. GWS did it with Parker on Friday night, changed the game. More of that from all teams and their best players, I say.

Summary of predictions from ten News Corp pundits:

Premiers
7 Melbourne
2 North Melb.
1 Brisbane

“Biggest threat”
3 Brisbane
3 Melbourne
2 Geelong
2 North Melb.

League B&F
5 Monique Conti
3 Jasmine Garner
1 Anne Hatchard
1 Alyce Parker

Rising Star
5 Jasmine Fleming
2 Alana Gee
1 Zarlie Goldsworth
1 Sofia Hurley
1 Matilda Scholz

Big surprises there, to me, are:
  • Nobody picking Adelaide for premiers or biggest threat (Simeon Thomas-Wilson went Melb/NM, so it wasn't all Vic bias)
  • Nobody picking Georgie Prespakis* for the League B&F (though Daniel Cherny had "Prespakises tie for top AFLW honour" as his headline I'd like to see)
  • Nobody picking Ella Roberts for Rising Star (Eliza Reilly voted for Fleming, so it wasn't all Vic bias)
*15 votes from her 8 H&A games last season (polled in every game except in a 50-point win against St Kilda, had 25 disposals & 11 tackles)

Here's what a similar group of people predicted last season:
Premiers
5 - Melbourne
3 - Brisbane
1 - Adelaide

"Biggest threat"
3 - Adelaide
3 - Brisbane
2 - Melbourne
1 - Fremantle

League B&F
4 - Conti
3 - Hatchard
1 - Marinoff
1 - M. Prespakis
0 - Anderson

Rising Star
5 - Fleming
2 - Ham
1 - Ewings
1 - Hurley

Daisy’s tips

Channel 7 expert commentator and former Melbourne premiership captain Daisy Pearce has made her predictions for the upcoming season:
  • Premiers: Melbourne
  • Grand Final teams: Melbourne v North Melbourne
  • Best and Fairest: Anne Hatchard
  • Who will be a breakout star this year: Eden Zanker
  • Rising Star: Darcy Moloney
  • Most goals (player & how many): Kate Shierlaw, 20
  • A player you can’t wait to watch: Jas Fleming
Previous nominee Darcy Moloney has played 25 games and also turns 21 in November, which makes her ineligible for the Rising Star on both counts, so we'll just say Daisy's going with Fleming.

wshow2023aug31.jpg

Good golly, Miss Olle. I always knew you were one of the good guys like me. Just about in lockstep with our tips there (albeit I ultimately said Hatchard for B&F but, as hinted 2 posts earlier, find G Prespakis to be very tempting).

Here is an early prediction.

IF West Coast can win a few games and be competitive in most of the rest, then Ella Roberts will give the rising star and the MVP double a shake.

Head and shoulders best player on the ground against Freo.

May single handedly drag Eagles to some wins, and in a team whose other best players are best described as workmanlike, stands out.

Still young, so injury, inconsistency and weight of expectations may hamper her season, that and being triple teamed everywhere she goes.

But if she gets a run at it, and the Eagles don't suck and get smashed every week, at her best she is spectacular.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rising Star winners have come from teams in all sections of the ladder. I wouldn't think WCE's performance will impact Roberts' chances.

For the League B&F though? Past winners have come from 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 3rd and 1st on the ladder. Suggests that West Coast (plus 17 other clubs) are going to have to win more than just a few matches for any of their players to take out the top medal.

Back