AFLW 2023 Predictions

The Demons of Melbourne will...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There's now a ladder predictor on the AFLW website...

I had a go, selecting favourites for 80% of matches, a couple of games going with the home team when too close to call (like GC to beat Ess in Mackay), plus a couple of upsets cause upsets happen (like Sydney to beat Collingwood in Sydney)!

I was bloody surprised with what it came up with, but considering some sides have a soft draw, maybe not!

1. Adel 10-0
2. Melb 9-1
3. GC Suns 8-2
4. North 7-3
5. Ess 7-3
6. Geel 6-4
7. Carl 6-4
8. Syd 6-4
--------
9. Bris 5-5
10. Coll 5-5
11. Freo 5-5
12. Rich 4-6
13. St.K 4-6
14. Port 2-8
15. Haw 2-8
16. WCE 2-8
17. GWS 2-8
18. WB 0-10

Upsets by definition are surprises. If one is to arbitrarily pepper predictions with upsets, of course one is going to get a cockamamie ladder. In which case, one shouldn't be surprised.

There's now a ladder predictor on the AFLW website...

I had a go, selecting favourites for 80% of matches, a couple of games going with the home team when too close to call (like GC to beat Ess in Mackay), plus a couple of upsets cause upsets happen (like Sydney to beat Collingwood in Sydney)!

I was bloody surprised with what it came up with, but considering some sides have a soft draw, maybe not!

1. Adel 10-0
2. Melb 9-1
3. GC Suns 8-2
4. Norf 7-3
5. Ess 7-3
6. Geel 6-4
7. Carl 6-4
8. Syd 6-4
--------
9. Bris 5-5
10. Coll 5-5
11. Freo 5-5
12. Rich 4-6
13. St.K 4-6
14. Port 2-8
15. Haw 2-8
16. WCE 2-8
17. GWS 2-8
18. WB 0-10
This hasn’t aged well after just 1 round
Gc already at 3 losses

1. Adelaide - 9 wins and 1 loss
2. Melbourne - 8 wins and 2 losses
3. Kangaroos - 8 wins and 2 losses
4. Brisbane - 8 wins and 2 losses
5. Geelong - 8 wins and 2 losses
6. Richmond - 6 wins and 4 losses
7. Collingwood - 6 wins and 4 losses
8. Essendon - 6 wins and 4 losses
---------------------------------------------
9. Bulldogs - 5 wins and 5 losses
10. Gold Coast - 5 wins and 5 losses
11. Sydney - 4 wins and 6 losses
12. Fremantle - 4 wins and 6 losses
13. Port Adelaide - 4 wins and 6 losses
14. Hawthorn - 2 wins and 8 losses
15. Carlton - 2 wins and 6 losses
16. GWS - 2 wins and 6 losses
17. St Kilda - 2 wins and 6 losses
18. West Coast - 1 win and 9 losses

Okay, looking back on my predictions...

Top 4 came to be in order as predicted, the only slight miss was on wins and losses for North and the Lions.
Geelong finished one place lower that predicted, Richmond missed by 4 spots (a win short... they'll rue that GC loss!)
Collingwood also missed by predicted finish by four spots. Can't blame it on the Saints loss and they didn't show up in the last game!

Essendon finished one spot higher than predicted, but I was spot on with the wins and losses for them.
Bulldogs... eeeewwwwwww.... the less said about them the better (but to be fair, I did say on-air at half-time of the Round 1 Cats v Dogs game theie season was over... it's on the record!!).

Suns finished 5 spots higher that predicted. Missed that by a game and a half.

Sydney... I knew under Scott Gowans and his recruits they would improve, but "oh boy, wow-eee"! Finished 3 spots higher and with two more wins.

Freo - Got the wins and losses spot on, but they finished one spot lower. Power finished two spots lower and 1 and a half wins behind my prediction.

Hawks - got their position correct, but they won one more game than predicted. Carlton... finished three spots higher and with two more wins than predicted.

GWS - Ladder position and wins 100% spot on.

Saints - 3/4 time of Round 4 it looked like another wasted season and to their credit, they turned it all around. Finished 8 spots higher than predicted and with 4 more wins.

Eagles - finished one spot higher and with one more win that predicted... coach gone.

Back