2023 Premiership Doco

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it, he's been emceeing club functions for decades. More just like he doesn't have the skill to properly call the moments befitting of the game.
He claimed he didn't want to come across as biased towards the Pies. So he has gone too far the other way

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I saw it yesterday. Was I the only one to notice they used every commentary but channel 7’s at least for the Prelim and GF? I think also the QF but not also 100% positive on that. I don’t blame them but it was interesting.

Overall it was a brilliant documentary and well worth the wait and the price of the ticket.
Yes, I noticed that too. They used 3AW, ABC, MMM and SEN. It was notable that BT and JB were not used at all. And no bloody wonder! Family visiting this week and we decided to watch the Preliminary Final. It was noticeable that the commentary by BT was very animated. It was fantastic and very exciting. The contrast with the GF was amazing. The GF commentary was so subdued that I wondered if there had been some issues behind the scenes. For such a great final, it was, as Rex Hunt might say, "Tobin Brothers" commentary.

He claimed he didn't want to come across as biased towards the Pies. So he has gone too far the other way

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok I figured as much (also said it earlier in the thread)

I long held a suspicion he was intentionally subdued when calling Collingwood as to not appear biased. Which I kind of understand?

I just think he's gone way too far the other way and if he feels that way, shouldn't be calling Collingwood games going forward.

Yes, I noticed that too. They used 3AW, ABC, MMM and SEN. It was notable that BT and JB were not used at all. And no bloody wonder! Family visiting this week and we decided to watch the Preliminary Final. It was noticeable that the commentary by BT was very animated. It was fantastic and very exciting. The contrast with the GF was amazing. The GF commentary was so subdued that I wondered if there had been some issues behind the scenes. For such a great final, it was, as Rex Hunt might say, "Tobin Brothers" commentary.

It could be just the producers trying to give as many unseen or unheard angles as possible. Most people were either watching the game live or watching Channel 7, so likely wouldn't have heard the broadcasts from SEN, MMM, etc.

Other than those here like myself who've gone to the effort to watch the game in sync with the SEN commentary, or seen the clips from the likes of Lace Out, of course.

Well, that and the fact that the Channel 7 commentary was mostly shithouse.

Went this Morning and I really Enjoyed it but I thought it be the Full Season not just the Finals Series.

Interesting they did not show Maynard's Bump vs Melbourne and only thing we heard on the Monday he was with a Club Lawyer

Love at Start when Fly said he was part of 2 Teams of GF Losses in 2002 and 2003 and say he repay the Debt from those 2 Games

Short for "Dipper" - a nickname he had long before Pendles. Not sure why - perhaps basketball related ...........he has a basketball background FYI.
From memory the Dipper nickname may have been one he picked up before he came to Collingwood or if not then soon after arriving. I recall reading or hearing about in an interview early on, though for whatever reason it didn’t really filter out to the public where he picked up the Pendles moniker. To be honest this was the first time I can recall it being used publicly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who haven't or can't get to see Take The Steps doco, AFL is coming out with a new one tomorrow called 44 Sons:

"44 Sons will be broadcast for the first time on Wednesday night at the AFL's season launch in Sydney and be available to watch on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live app."

I think it’s good that all these docos and videos about the granny win are all coming out before our first game this season, feels like a nice full stop to what happened last year and then we can move onto this season.

Either way, I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of watching stuff about last year’s granny, absolute surreal stuff.

I saw it yesterday. Was I the only one to notice they used every commentary but channel 7’s at least for the Prelim and GF? I think also the QF but not also 100% positive on that. I don’t blame them but it was interesting.

Overall it was a brilliant documentary and well worth the wait and the price of the ticket.
Channel 7 commentary probably cost more.

The Fox doco last night used a new Collingwood symbol, which intrigued me. Has anybody seen this before or know anything about it?
View attachment 1920629
Just incredibly random. No idea why it's been used since they have 75% of the logo already there haha

Just back from watching Taking the Steps then followed up with Recall.

Goosebumps, chills, laughs & tears.

What a night.
TtS was definitely the superior of the two (going back for a second viewing this afternoon); but the Recall was still decent in its own right. And the end with the reactions of everyone as the final siren went? How good was that?

TtS was definitely the superior of the two (going back for a second viewing this afternoon); but the Recall was still decent in its own right. And the end with the reactions of everyone as the final siren went? How good was that?
Both different in their own ways. Thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

Bizarre to still get nervous when you know the result though, lol.

Rex was atrocious. You had no idea what was going on in the game.

Listening to Rex commentate was like a dog listens to people …

… no friggen idea what they’re saying, but you can follow the emotion and from that get the general gist of what they mean.

(Maybe that’s why his name was Rex?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back