Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Henry pictured with Liam Ryan written on it. Couldn't really get more wrong. Wrong in a factual sense. Wrong in a culturally insensitive sense. Wrong in a lazy, stupid, pos sense.

Wobbly Punt Training Report -28/02/23
Just swung past the ARC on the way back to the office. Not much going on outside. What was going on does have a little interest though.

Walters was doing straight line run throughs of about 50m at about 50% pace. Looked comfortable in his gait so the idea he might be Rd 1 ready looks real. Achilles suck though as Longmuir said in his presser. He was striding out well though so that's something.

Also working with the small rehab crew were Freddy and Wagner. When I was there they were running around doing low intensity leading and 30m kick to kick and both were moving well in that. Freddy was kicking only off his left which indicates they're not ready to test the quad too much but he wasn't limping and went well above 50% effort a few times when leading to Wagner's kicks.

Wagner was also moving freely and thumping some of his passes to Freddy. Can't be far away. He was the most aggressive mover of the 3. He was turning, pivoting and kicking all very freely and, to me, he looked uninjured.

Finally, Tabs was doing 1 on 1 work with the coaches in the sandbank goal square. 1 coach padded up, the other kicked to the "contest". Looked like they were concentrating on getting his marking hands up to scratch again as he pushing off his man and getting to the ball and then resisting the contact to take the mark. He then went to the jumping pad (not Nic Nat who's injured again) and went to hanger practise. His hands aren't close to match ready yet and he dropped too many you'd expect him to take but we know he has the good mitts so I don't think its an issue, especially seeing he is clearly working towards getting them there.

1 small thing, not from this session but from others, they do a lot of drills where the ball gets kicked to a to a big target at HF for wing etc and that big is asked to deliberately drop the mark to provide crumbing. I know they do it so the mids can practise reading the bounce etc and the big can work on following up and it is about clearing the ball from a spilled contest. However, I just don't like the idea of practising failing at a skill and being asked to drop the mark. Maybe its just me.

1 small thing, not from this session but from others, they do a lot of drills where the ball gets kicked to a to a big target at HF for wing etc and that big is asked to deliberately drop the mark to provide crumbing. I know they do it so the mids can practise reading the bounce etc and the big can work on following up and it is about clearing the ball from a spilled contest. However, I just don't like the idea of practising failing at a skill and being asked to drop the mark. Maybe its just me.
Nah it's smart. Instead of mastering the correct way to do it, you master the wrong way, then on game day just do the opposite. Simples.

Just swung past the ARC on the way back to the office. Not much going on outside. What was going on does have a little interest though.

Walters was doing straight line run throughs of about 50m at about 50% pace. Looked comfortable in his gait so the idea he might be Rd 1 ready looks real. Achilles suck though as Longmuir said in his presser. He was striding out well though so that's something.

Also working with the small rehab crew were Freddy and Wagner. When I was there they were running around doing low intensity leading and 30m kick to kick and both were moving well in that. Freddy was kicking only off his left which indicates they're not ready to test the quad too much but he wasn't limping and went well above 50% effort a few times when leading to Wagner's kicks.

Wagner was also moving freely and thumping some of his passes to Freddy. Can't be far away. He was the most aggressive mover of the 3. He was turning, pivoting and kicking all very freely and, to me, he looked uninjured.

Finally, Tabs was doing 1 on 1 work with the coaches in the sandbank goal square. 1 coach padded up, the other kicked to the "contest". Looked like they were concentrating on getting his marking hands up to scratch again as he pushing off his man and getting to the ball and then resisting the contact to take the mark. He then went to the jumping pad (not Nic Nat who's injured again) and went to hanger practise. His hands aren't close to match ready yet and he dropped too many you'd expect him to take but we know he has the good mitts so I don't think its an issue, especially seeing he is clearly working towards getting them there.

Legend - thanks for answering my query as well on another thread re: Wagner. Sounds like he is close to resuming full training. He’s not in the mix for the early rounds but there is plenty of time for him to be ready off HBF/wing once WAFL season is up and running.

Legend - thanks for answering my query as well on another thread re: Wagner. Sounds like he is close to resuming full training. He’s not in the mix for the early rounds but there is plenty of time for him to be ready off HBF/wing once WAFL season is up and running.

No worries at all SK. I'd be surprised if he's not in the full gear this week or next. No game against Port obviously but he's close I'd reckon. If we stay injury free-ish he might be a good sneaky bet for the Sandover?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any idea on what sort of crowd we can expect at Freo Oval on a Thursday afternoon for a 4pm match?

Would 8k be a bit unrealistic?

I wouldn’t be expecting much.
It’s a 410 start on a Thursday, and it’s gonna be 37 odd degrees.
Would suggest if you are gonna go, go early and try get a seat in the shade on the west side..
Have to be pretty keen to sit out on the eastern concrete steps looking into the sun and dealing with the heat.

I wouldn’t be expecting much.
It’s a 410 start on a Thursday, and it’s gonna be 37 odd degrees.
Would suggest if you are gonna go, go early and try get a seat in the shade on the west side..
Have to be pretty keen to sit out on the eastern concrete steps looking into the sun and dealing with the heat.
Yep saw the forecast and I said to myself, Id prefer to watch it on Kayo then attend there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back