Training 2023 Preseason + training discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I noticed that Roy Benning ran the TTs, or maybe one. How did he fair. I know he is a long way off, but is there any progress in him?
Also Sean Darcy,, how did the big fella fare in the runs?
Great to see that the new recruits have all rocked up in tip top shape.
Another exciting year ahead I think.

I noticed that Roy Benning ran the TTs, or maybe one. How did he fair. I know he is a long way off, but is there any progress in him?
Also Sean Darcy,, how did the big fella fare in the runs?
Great to see that the new recruits have all rocked up in tip top shape.
Another exciting year ahead I think.
Finished at the back. Is coming from a long way back. None of us know how well he performed in comparison to 12months ago.

The fact is he is a long way off playing based on what I’ve seen at Peel. Hopefully his endurance has improved somewhat compared to 12months ago rather than just seeing him well off the pack but making strides to an improved fitness.

I did feel looking at his physique that he looks leaner but that is just a very brief visual analysis.

Where do you see him playing? Only position I can see him taking is
Walker’s.
Walker would then be apart of the interchange rotations.
It’s a nice problem to have, if we can get the forward line functioning
the midfield and defence is good enough for a flag tilt.
If your thinking wing, there would be about 5 players who would be
Competing for a spot.
Our running, speed in the second half in games is mouth watering 😀
Wing and stints through HBF. Based on his running capacity already and improved foot skills in the VFL he is moving up the pecking order. Henry, Aish, Worner and NOD are others but we are well set in the backline.

Jordan Clark seems to rotate between Wing and HBF. Trav Colyer, Henry and NOD rotate between HFF and Wing.

I like NOD in one of the wings because he is a nice left foot kick. Point of difference.

Wagner is quick, super fit and will be interested to watch his progression with footskills in pre-season.

Worner developing nicely but isn’t as it quick but a running machine.

Max King was the second most targeted forward in the AFL last season, behind Peter Wright. He's probably the Saints most important player

Finished at the back. Is coming from a long way back. None of us know how well he performed in comparison to 12months ago.

The fact is he is a long way off playing based on what I’ve seen at Peel. Hopefully his endurance has improved somewhat compared to 12months ago rather than just seeing him well off the pack but making strides to an improved fitness.

I did feel looking at his physique that he looks leaner but that is just a very brief visual analysis.
I ask because he was found wanting, badly, in the earlier TTs.I am just wondering if he had improved. He is a long way off even playing league for Peel, but I think the club sees something in him.
Maybe a late bloomer.

So to summarise, who are currently auditioning for each of last year’s vacant b22 positions?

Acres (wing) - Henry, Worner, Wagner
Lobb (ruck/fwd) - you’d think that Jackson walks straight into this one, ?treacy
Mundy (inside mid) - O’Meara, Johnson, Ras
Logue (defensive fwd/fwd) - corbett, Sturt, banfield, Emmett

How will we fit our developing kids in?
Ysaye has outlined the most likely changes, but in response to your post I think Treacy is a good replacement for Logue forward.

I ask because he was found wanting, badly, in the earlier TTs.I am just wondering if he had improved. He is a long way off even playing league for Peel, but I think the club sees something in him.
Maybe a late bloomer.
Not a comment specifically about Benning but the club has been good at identifying both late bloomers as well as early developers.

The way I look at, Jackson has replaced Logue, Amiss has replaced Lobb. Treacy will need to replace Tabs if he wants to get into the forward line.
Fair enough. I see it as a forward line rebuild for our talls rather than replacing this or that player.

Amiss, Jackson, Treacy all credible additions for Key Positions. Maybe Reidy has something to contribute?

Corbett and Sturt probably lead the push to push Banfield out, but Fyfe is a bit of a mystery man for now, Erasmus simply must develop somewhere, and Emmett has joined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can play 4 talls next year
Taberner, Treacy, amiss, Jackson

Sub one out at half if we suck
It’s not out of the realms of possibility, especially if we are playing Jackson as a Mid/Ruck, if we are getting outrun in the midfield we could sub out Treacy, Tabs or Amiss and bring in another midfielder. Jackson could revert to a forward/ruck and we’d still stretch most backlines for height.

O'Meara is going to be very good for us on and off the field

I will put my hand up and confess that getting O'Meara seemed a bit odd to me at the time but his attitude since becoming part of Freo has been outstanding.

What a great thing to promote two of our young players in such a positive manner.

You have won me over 100% Jager. Not just a player but a leader and a mentor too.

I will put my hand up and confess that getting O'Meara seemed a bit odd to me at the time but his attitude since becoming part of Freo has been outstanding.

What a great thing to promote two of our young players in such a positive manner.

You have won me over 100% Jager. Not just a player but a leader and a mentor too.
No surprises here he’s one of the most professional players in the AFL.
You won’t find JOM showing up to preseason 8 kilos overweight or running around drunk in a Santa suit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back