2023 Rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard us linked to many players. Not sure how true any of it is. Last u heard we were very keen on Charlie Edwards.

I wouldn't rule out taking one of those players, but not taking a mid at all with our first two picks and then grabbing another slow mid with our lat pick doesn't seem right to me.

I'd be looking at Demattia or Edwards if it fell that way but I also wouldn't rule out taking a key defender as we don't see overly set on Howard.

I'd be jumping at Cooper Simpson if he were there with that third pick.

Yeh saints wasnt easy

Kade De La Rue, Simpson and G.Stevens all considered around that 3rd pick also Will Rowlands

Very well could chance the arm and wait for Collard at 26 and take C.Edwards at 18 who im a huge fan of, i already mentioned that though

I agree that Stevens isnt a great match, but hes a fair bit ahead of Simpson on best availability for me. I really like Stevens, but yes probably better suited elsewhere as saints have big future mids in Pou and Mitchito

I think if saints get a half back and they can hold their own year 2 then i think 2025 Sinclair is providing the run, change of lanes in the midfield the saints need and the 4 young kids should be coming on by then who all have expliosvness (Windy, Pou, Chito, Hotton)

Some clubs will see Collard as a potential impact midfielder aswell, he has the tank, speed and agility. People are comparing him to Bolton, but Collards endurance is way better at the same time

As much as i would love to own pies fr1 freo arent trading it for a pick in the 20s after going all the trouble to get it to begin with.

Theyre also getting an F3, not that, thats much

but they are if they really rate K.Sanchez and thats their only option as this shows

All it takes is for Fremantle to rate him around 20 in this pool and to think he wont be there at 37, or want 2 small forwards and hes one of them

and im most certainly not saying this is a likely scenario. Trades are pure guesses

Weve just seen it happen many times in the past. Freo dont have anything else either

Last edited:

but they are if they really rate K.Sanchez and thats their only option as this shows

All it takes is for Fremantle to rate him around 20 in this pool and to think he wont be there at 37, or want 2 small forwards and hes one of them

and im most certainly not saying this is a likely scenario. Trades are pure guesses

Weve just seen it happen many times in the past. Freo dont have anything else either
We could have had Collingwood's first this year if we thought someone we really wanted was going to be there at ~25. We fought for F1 instead.

That's not to say it can't happen but it would be surprising.

We could have had Collingwood's first this year if we thought someone we really wanted was going to be there at ~25. We fought for F1 instead.

That's not to say it can't happen but it would be surprising.
I suppose only the case if Collingwood offered that

Are we certain that was offered? We would never know unless said from their club

Maybe its an F2 back instead of an F3

I just think Freo would really like Sanchez and if they dont see him being there at 37 then there only way to get him is that Future pick

We know you need to pay up

See J.Sharp, H.Jones, Josh Sinn, Flanders, Stocker live draft deals

Last edited:
I suppose only the case if Collingwood offered that

Are we certain that was offered? We would never know unless said from their club

Maybe its an F2 back instead of an F3

I just think Freo would really like Sanchez and if they dont see him there at 37 then there only way to get him is that Future pick

We know you need to pay up

See J.Sharp, H.Jones, Josh Sinn, Flanders, Stocker live draft deals
Well if you believe anything the media reports then you have to believe that the Pies wanted to give us 19 instead of F1. In fact, they supposedly opened with it. Reported by multiple sources. So yes, as certain as you can be about these things from the outside.

I have no idea whether we like Sanchez or not, but I don't think you could conclude from the evidence available that our plan was ever to use the Pies F1 to get him unless you think he's going before their first rounder. Even then, surely the obvious thing to do would be to take 19 and trade up from there.

I also think we're much more likely to do either/both of trading for one of GC's mid 20s picks (using multiple later picks) or use the Saints F2 for another pick in this draft.

Well if you believe anything the media reports then you have to believe that the Pies wanted to give us 19 instead of F1. In fact, they supposedly opened with it. Reported by multiple sources. So yes, as certain as you can be about these things from the outside.

I have no idea whether we like Sanchez or not, but I don't think you could conclude from the evidence available that our plan was ever to use the Pies F1 to get him unless you think he's going before their first rounder. Even then, surely the obvious thing to do would be to take 19 and trade up from there.

I also think we're much more likely to do either/both of trading for one of GC's mid 20s picks (using multiple later picks) or use the Saints F2 for another pick in this draft.
The suns wont accept your last 3 picks for one of their 20s, they lose points

I have you trading 46, 60 and 64 for Suns 36

Maybe Fremantle wait a bit longer and see if he gets through to late 30s or early 40s for a spot where an F2 (Saints) may be accepted

Certainly plausible

And Charlesson, Delean and Odriscoll are other avenues

It is all based on them really liking Sanchez and rating him highly around the top 20 and not expecting him to be there at 37 (Im not saying this is true or not)

The F2 from saints doesnt really work as theyd just take him at 37 anyway if they did in fact like him and i dont reckon an F2 gets you significantly higher than that in a live swap

I think to go after Sanchez we would have to be rating him ahead of Tholstrup, Collard and Hardeman ... perhaps at Butters level. And in that case we'd be going earlier than 28. Use our own F1 or Port's F1. And the absolute worst pick we would settle for is 24 by sending the Pies F1 back to Collingwood, who were pretty clear they would rather give us their first this year and keep their future first.

The suns wont accept your last 3 picks for one of their 20s, they lose points

I have you trading 46, 60 and 64 for Suns 36

Maybe Fremantle wait a bit longer and see if he gets through to late 30s or early 40s for a spot where an F2 (Saints) may be accepted

Certainly plausible

And Charlesson, Delean and Odriscoll are other avenues

It is all based on them really liking Sanchez and rating him highly around the top 20 and not expecting him to be there at 37 (Im not saying this is true or not)

The F2 from saints doesnt really work as theyd just take him at 37 anyway if they did in fact like him and i dont reckon an F2 gets you significantly higher than that in a live swap
I haven't done the calcs on the GC trade (I thought I read it somewhere but maybe not) but we could definitely get something going with the Saints F2 to generate current picks in some capacity.

But none of that changes the fact that by far the best way to get a particular player this draft would have been to have the highest possible pick in this draft. Since we actively avoided that for a future option, I don't see how you can conclude that we are desperate for any player higher than 30 in 2023 . Nor does it make sense to give up that future pick we rated higher than a 2023 first to get back an inferior current pick.

I haven't done the calcs on the GC trade (I thought I read it somewhere but maybe not) but we could definitely get something going with the Saints F2 to generate current picks in some capacity.

But none of that changes the fact that by far the best way to get a particular player this draft would have been to have the highest possible pick in this draft. Since we actively avoided that for a future option, I don't see how you can conclude that we are desperate for any player higher than 30 in 2023 . Nor does it make sense to give up that future pick we rated higher than a 2023 first to get back an inferior current pick.
Might be worth further thinking

Can you send me some articles that the pies wouldve preferred to give up this years 1st and F2 instead of the ither way around?

Might be worth further thinking

Can you send me some articles that the pies wouldve preferred to give up this years 1st and F2 instead of the ither way around?
I don't think it's completely unlikely that we trade an F1, but this particular scenario doesn't fit (unless Freo has their draft ranking of Sanchez/whomever we like completely wrong which is not impossible).

They are not hard to find. Here's Tom Morris.

Definitely an option, it seems his back half work may be seen as his best asset

But i think a tall forward is the need, Dawson may fit that for Brisbane though if they think they can develop him there

Morris can probably have a more immediate impact aswell which would be highly regarded i think with their position
Hey Keystone, can you please elaborate a little on the bad publicity comment regarding pick 34 Brisbane Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

oh ok, anything to do with off field?

Yeh , again not sure how true, he has slid for no apparent reason imo he should be rated top 30 on talent. I dont think even Twomey had him inside his 45

More so to do with his character, seems fine on field from what ive seen, so decent chance the rumours are false

Last edited:
Yeh , again not sure how true, he has slid for no apparent reason imo he should be rated top 30 on talent. I dont think even Twomey had him inside his 45

More so to do with his character, seems fine on field from what ive seen, so decent chance the rumours are false
Agree, as good as Caddy I think. My mail is that his interviews didn’t go so well along with his testing. He’ll still go inside 35 I believe.

Next years draft will be way more compromised than this year’s draft, particularly the second round.

I don’t know what the depth is like next year, but I don’t currently place much value on future picks that might fall later than pick 30 (unless I’m a team trading for points).

Big fan of your thread here keystone.

Would like to hear your thoughts on what you think west coast will get up to on draft day?
Pretty much what ive given them

Past pick 1, i think they need a half back flanker to replace Duggan and Hurn, Duggan moving into the midfield to provide some experience in there next to Reid, Hewett, Ginbey types

The eagles can do with everything really

Maybe they can sit out of the ruck department unless Mitch Edwards is there at pick 37

Got to love some of the local boys later on aswell if available. Sanchez, Odriscoll, E.Smith as a tall fwd, C.Hall ect

If Collard is there at 23 it wont surprise me obviously they wouldve been watching him for a long time closely

C.Livingstoj in the rookie draft aswell means even less need for 200cm guys

Flynn
B.Williams
H.Barnett
Jamieson (Who they seemed to rate big time)
C.Livingstone

Is fine for now and the possibility or dream of T.English (Even though i think its about 10% likely)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back