Autopsy 2023 Rd 1 - GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows, 1.10 pm Sunday 19 March @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing game. We were absolutely gone at half time, and to come back and win was fantastic. It must have been some stirring half time talk by Adam!

To win with Perryman, Whitfield and Kelly out, and with Haynes, Wehr and Lloyd not 100%, was truely courageous. Season defining wonderful stuff!

This is unbelievably courageous. Just me or has Callan Ward stepped it up big time since all the injuries?
His courage never ceases to amaze me. He took a mark in the forward fifty in the last 5-10 mins of the game in front of the members stand. Was going back with the flight with no idea of what was coming behind him. Right when we needed someone to stand up and drag us over the finish line.

He may be slowing down a bit, but you know he's always going to give 110% and keep that bar set high for the team.

Last edited:
and is it me or are is the stadium empty? lol 🤷‍♂️
Everyone was in the shade, it actually felt like a big crowd where the people were, dead empty in the sun. Created a weird, but cool vibe.

Is this arguably our most impressive win in our short history? Considering the heat, half time deficit and injuries
Nah.
We have had stacks of amazing wins.
Geelong in 21 with everyone out is one example.
Terrific win though.
The big names stood up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah.
We have had stacks of amazing wins.
Geelong in 21 with everyone out is one example.
Terrific win though.
The big names stood up.
Probably one of few where it felt like we won going away as opposed to just falling over the line

Probably one of few where it felt like we won going away as opposed to just falling over the line
Agree- at half time it was looking like we would be lucky if we didn’t lose by three digits. The turnaround was so unexpected, especially with our injuries.

Just back from the proverbial 'game of 2 halves'.

One of the gutsiest wins in the club's history considering the concussions and injuries (yes another bloody soft tissue injury).

This team would not have won under Leon Cameron. It's early days but there was something different in the way the assistant coaches and players embraced after the final siren.

Something that annoyed the heck out of me - the no-look, over the shoulder handpasses in the back 50. The lairising in general was very costly close to their own goal.

The pickle juice stock must be severely depleted.

It's West Coast over in Perth next Sunday. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagles do a number on the Giants next week. It wasn't so much the walking wounded but today's game would have taken a heck of a lot out of our players.

His courage never ceases to amaze me. He took a mark in the forward fifty in the last 5-10 mins of the game in front of the members stand. Was going back with the flight with no idea of what was coming behind him. Right when we needed someone to stand up and drag us over the finish line.

He may be slowing down a bit, but you know he's always going to give 110% and keep that bar set high for the team.
He’s been written off by a few on this board but if he doesn’t get to 300 games the club should hang their heads in shame …. Heart and soul!

Mrs Noodle’s birthday lunch precluded us from attending so I’ve just finished watching the replay.

pretty happy with that (after the first quarter - though who had Matt Flynn for 1st goal?)

given our injuries, the heat, the cramp, it was a remarkable win.

Mrs Noodle did ask during the last quarter “In what attic are they hiding Cal Ward’s portrait?” And I gotta agree with her.

great to see Binger & Bucks back - they both played really well.

Cogs was outstanding and Tom Green will win a brownlow.

sucks we8th be without Whitfield, Kelly & Pez next week.

but all in all, some pretty good signs.

I remember that, at the time I thought it was a huge, match winning mark. Sounds too big of a call but the manner in which he took it and the state of the game, it was that big. Guy is a warrior, played an amazing second half today.

Very tough gritty win, probably in the top 3 bravest in our short history!!

• HH too early mark of the year!
  • Toby just fantastic, if he kicked straighter it could’ve been much more!
  • We gradually got better as the game went on. Things take longer to gel in a new set up.
  • we finally won a 2nd half! We looked much fitter than them since 2nd half even with a few troops down in the 38 degree heat
  • Disliked McAdams cheap shot on Wehr, he arrogantly provoked the crowd boos holding his hand up to his ear . After the siren refused to shake any hands, stood there on his when all other players shook and said thanks, what a tool!
  • It was a terrible first qtr, they looked like a well drilled team in their positioning and set up. We looked on in disarray.
  • That last qtr there were always about 3 GWS players cramping, down on the bench numbers to run over them the way we did make me a super proud supporter!
  • We’ll dine in the new coaching crew to turn this around, so rapt for them to get the 1st W! Many of them have their family interstate, so great to see for them!
  • Felt like 10k at the stadium. Most shaded areas were 3/4 full. The noise was lifted after the McAdam hit. Hope there were some newbies or non rusted on supporters who will come back again and enjoy this great game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We won the Tackles inside 50 count 18-0!!!!!! Most of these were probably in the 2nd half too! Brilliant, Kingers knows that tackle pressure and turnovers scoring is King!
Bunga was huge and shows how much we really missed him. He’s our most underrated player.
Well done Binga and Buckley, both were huge in this win! So happy for them. Their second efforts and tackling were top notch!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

WOWOWOW Such a good win, super tough conditions with the heat and lack of rotations, feels exactly like the type of game we wouldn't have won under Leon would've slipped away and lost by 50. Some thoughts:
  • Cogs was elite elite, one of his best games in years. 32 touches, 810(!!!!!) metres gained, lead the game in clearances and i50, 14 score involements, that is a "I'm one of the best players in the competition" level performances. Was unreal, so happy for him
  • Green was fantastic stuffed Laird in a locker for most of the game being directly matched up on him a fair, career high in disposals for the first game of the year is telling of the type of year he's in for, what a player we have
  • Finn was awesome his composure and ball use is so good for someone that hasn't touched 10 games yet, need him to demand it more because good things are always happening with him
  • Will combine these two but Buckley and Daniels both looked terrific, Daniels energy was clearly infectous and a big impact i50 constantly being disruptive (tied for game high tackles i50) and creating chances (6 Score involvements) exactly the type of game we're looking from him cashed in 2 as well. Can't believe how good Buckley looked, so comfortable back there and just slotted straight in after missing 18 months of footy
  • Toby was great kicking 4.4 and 10 score involvements, his ball use in the front half was important in setting up opportunities for others as well, one of the games elite players
  • Ward just keeps on keeping on, every year we're looking to move him out of the midfield and give the others a go but he always gets a chance and never fails, 31 touches, 427 metres gained, 12 contested what a player
  • Thought Haynes was looking pretty good, I think his AA days are over but defintely think there's a real impact player in there for us to use and he looked like it today before all the cramping and he moved (kicking a clutch goal), encouraging performance
  • Hogan was solid, kicked 3 pretty normal standard day for him, didn't get much out of HH or Riccardi, Riccardi is probably on thin ice I rekon with Cadman producing like he has in the 2s I don't think a debut will be too far away for him
  • Didn't love Ash's game, had a few good moments of taking the game on but man his decision making as a distributor leads to see real poor turnovers
  • Cumming was really good too, over 500 mertres gaines from just 21 touches shows the type of drive he gives us out of D50, important player
  • Kelly played great too before getting concussed, loved his game
  • 18-0 i50 tackle count in our favour is also in an incredible stat
Incredibly unique conditions that we hopefully won't have to deal with again, but a strong character performance from everyone that played

Last edited:
A sign of the professionalism of the club and players is Perryman does a hamstring after 4 minutes on the ground. Not stretching and warming up enough prior to going on. Callaghan on the home ground sprays a shot 25 metres out on a slight angle
Coaches and support staff not putting in the required effort and letting the players think they are stars and no need to follow basic principles
Just to be clear

That’s not how injuries work

The big thing I take from this is that the crows are not a bad team …. We held lairs and berry to * all
Tom Green went head to head with Laird - not a tag, just old fashioned 'beat your man' gameplay according to AK. Did bloody well. He's going to be a star ... maybe even as early as this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back