Autopsy 2023 Rd 13 Another loss. Devoid of headline material

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point I'd embrace tanking, play the youngsters, figure out what our stocks are like.
Tanking can absolutely * off - look at Hawthorn this year. A winning culture is EVERYTHING for a young group (or any group for that matter) and we haven't had anything resembling that for over 20 years.

Play the kids who deserve their spots (ie Binns) by all means but this tanking mentality needs to stay in the 00s where we never should have picked it up in the first place. This group needs to get used to actually winning for a change - our leaders haven't known what it's like for 2 decades and it shows

Give it a

Despite your weekly rant, the issues go far deeper than just the playing list.
Sure at the end of the season much more will come out as to why this list is performing well below their capabilities.

Rant no. Opinion yes. The list is the common denominator for three head coaches in a row.

This isn't a quick fix.

We need to purge ourself of many things from the club.

We should be moving mountains to secure the #1 pick from the Eagles starting with trading Cripps as part of the deal.

He's 28, now is the time to do it.

Not a chance Cripps moves to the Eagles. They are in worse position than we are.

Is he doing the awful job week after week, or is that the players on the field?:rolleyes:
Of course it's not one factor alone.

But , c'mon. We can't even understand what the game plan is and week after week, for 2 months now we've seen the same drivel.

Yep, the Coach is the biggest factor here because the players - on the whole - can play!

Not a chance Cripps moves to the Eagles. They are in worse position than we are.
It's not about trading Cripps. What we need to do is make him earn his spot this year, if fit. If not fit, he needs to rest and get fit.
When he returns, he needs to shows us if he is worth keeping the captaincy. IMO, he needs to move aside next year but we need Voss and players to make this call. They will know, but if a hard call needs to be made, it must be made!

No way Ed plays again! Like seriously we need to mix up this slow ass midfield, get Dow starting, put J Boyd in there, give Cripps a couple weeks off (he’s cooked) Piss young off! I honestly don’t know where we go from here!!!!!
He shut down their most important player for a half. Ed has one strength and it's tagging. When the coaches move him away from tagging and expect him to perform its their fault. He was coached out of the game by his own coaches.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

When Vossy was asked if he has lost the players last night in his presser he snickered and then remarked that he hasn't lost the playing group. That laugh was enough for me. He knows his cooked. If he isn't sacked by mid-week then I will be shocked. However, in saying that, I think the new coach will need to make some drastic changes to the list, we are a mentally weak group who turns on the coach any sign of things getting tough.
Don’t think a sacking is near.
What drives me mad the most is the weight of scoring opportunities v actual score.
We are going at 15% . It's downright disgusting. Our ball movement going forward has not changed even though it is blatantly clear that we aren't kicking enough goals per week .
Surely they realise that 6 goals per week isn't going to cut the mustard.
Would rather go down swinging having kicked 12-15 goals a week coz at least that way the players are looking for different avenues to goal

Should have had 12-15 goals if we can kick straighter & the confidence/pressure-off that comes with it.
Though returning to the centre square last night in the 3rd Q was not pretty, got absolutely smashed in the air & on the ground.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with pretty much all of that. But when you've got a talented group pretty much in their peak years (25-30) and you're in the bottom 4 the decision is taken out of the board's control. Their hand is essentially forced.

Ideally what we need is a board capable of appointing a decent coach.

I guess they'll let Voss limp along a bit longer, appoint an interim then throw everything at Hardwick.

And it would be the Carlton way that we’d land Hardwick, he only signed on because the $$$ we threw at him was good and he runs at 75% capacity because the passion is gone or he didn’t have long enough away to recharge his batteries.

And it might take 2-3 years for this playing group to learn their 4th!! Game plan.

Regarding point 5 I think many would love the chance to coach Carlton … nothing to lose … think about it every coach we sack has waltzed into an assistant role … so there’s only upside for any incumbent because if he succeeds he’s the saviour of a powerhouse club if he doesn’t he goes back into the system as an assistant …

Respectfully, this reeks of Carlton drinking it’s own bath water.

You have no problem getting experienced senior coaches who are just going through the motion (Pagan, Malthouse) but quality assistants don’t want a bar of you.

I know nothing about how Essendon played under Rutten. I have no idea how to answer your question. Watching Essendon last night is the first time I have watched Essendon play since we played them last year.
It’s a similar situation with the players realising they are playing under an incompetent coach.

If Essendon did what you seem to be hoping for Carlton to do and trade out players and back a clueless coach where would they be this year?

They would be without 1-3 senior players. They would have gained some picks in last years and this years draft. They would still have the issue of a clueless coach. They would be bottom 4 and years away from finals.

Why will they play for the jumper with campaigners like us as supporters?

Hope they forget about us and play for each other.

They’ll come out of this season either solid or broken.
They broke last year in Round 23 matey.

We've been carrying them for years now.

How's that working out for us?
Cunningham 8 years now and 1 good game v Essendon in covid impacted 2020.

Injuries aside, Cunningham never could establish himself as consistent best18.

I think many are attracted to his type. As his attributes are unique, but Cunningham I would have little confidence in stringing games together at AFL level, let alone be effective in them

Just no evidence of it

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Wow, a passionate bunch

Is what it is, though. Take the good with the bad as a player

If we were in the top 6 they'd be appreciated

And on Grundy, Don't see anything wrong with that. Wish we had toothless low iq supporters and were favourites for the flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Back