Preview 2023 Rd 2 - West Coast Eagles v GWS Giants, 6.20 pm (AEDT) Sunday 26 March @ Optus Stadium WA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Well, what a gutsy round 1 win that was in the heat, with multiple injuries, and coming from 28 points down. Unfortunately, we may pay for it next week in hampering what is a winnable game against the Eagles. The west has never been a happy hunting ground for us, and we'll be three major injured players down (Perryman, Whitfield & Kelly). The Eagles had a very poor 2022, and lost to last year's wooden spooners in round 1, so they'll be primed to knock us over at home. Losing 3 of our top line midfielders will make it that much harder for us. Nevertheless, another good test for Adam Kingsley, and the team.

The midfield performance today was superb after the first quarter, and if we want to hope to beat the Eagles, they'll need to reproduce that best form. Cogs and Tom Green were enormous, with half of the team's clearances between them. Josh Kelly was the other mainstay, and he'll be out. What I expect is that Finn Callaghan will take on his role, so getting more inside time rather than the more outside role he's played. We'll also need to play much smarter on I50 entries than we did today - too much of the "bomb it into the F50", that was easily intercepted, and would give McGovern and Barrass a field day next week. When we played fast and smart in the second half, moving the ball forward like a chess game, we ended up with a much better result. We just need to have some deeper entries rather than marking it around the 45-50m mark, as most of our shots from there dropped short or were inaccurate. We also need to tighen up our defensive play - defending our man from too far away was giving too much easy ball to the Crows players, while they defended tightly on us and we couldn't get the ball. We needed the heat to tire them out in the second half to allow us to break up their defence - but we shouldn't need to rely on that.

We also need to see if there's any other niggles come from this game; Lloyd, Daniels, Haynes all mentioned at times, but it's possible they were all heat-related and more cramps than niggles.

With the late game in WA, it shouldn't be as hot as today in Sydney. Long range forecast for WA is 25 degrees, which would be good conditions to employ a running game. The big interest will be on the injuries from this game, and the replacements. Pez, Whitters and Chook are definitely out. XOH is now injured and not an option as a replacement. Options that I think Adam Kingsley would consider:
  • Josh Fahey or Cooper Hamilton to take Whitfield's place - presumably they've trained there and just awaiting an opportunity
  • Connor Stone or Josh Fahey to replace Kelly, taking a more outside role, while Finn Callaghan pushes more inside to replicate Kelly's role
  • moving Cal Ward to take Pez's midfield place, & bring Kenners into the forward line
  • alternatively, Harry Rowston to replace Perryman directly (although when asked about Rowston being "first cab off the rank" as a replacement, AK said not first cab, but definitely an AFL player)
There might be some other moves, such as Ash into midfield, or Binga to midfield, allowing for other replacements in back/forward line, but they strike me as "robbing Peter to pay Paul" kinds of moves (especially after some of Lachie Ash's comments pre-season about being moved around under Leon and wanting a steady role).

And then, are there any tactical changes? Buckley was excellent today, replacing Leek Aleer (who reported some quad tightness and elected not to play). If Leek is OK next week, does he get his spot? How does Haynes pull up? He looked shaky first quarter, but then pulled off two stunning intercepts in the second half that were reminiscent of his form of yore.

Aaron Cadman scored 6 goals in the VFL hitout. Is he a chance to debut in round 2? If so, he'd presumably take Jake Riccardi's spot. But is one game - that we ended up winning - enough time for AK to assess Ricca's value to the team? I suspect not, but you might have a different view.

So, what are your thoughts on changes, and what we need to do to beat the Eagles in WA?

Last edited:
Note that if (I mean when!) we beat West Coast, it will be our equal best start to the season in our history. 2015 and 2018 were the only years where we won our first two games - in both those years we then lost the third game.

Note that if (I mean when!) we beat West Coast, it will be our equal best start to the season in our history. 2015 and 2018 were the only years where we won our first two games - in both those years we then lost the third game.
Yes. We have been a slow-starting team for our entire history. We really need to correct that!

No Whitfield, Kelly or Pez certainly sucks and it will be interesting to see if there are any delayed affects on Wehr.

Aleer might be right, but does Buckley deserve to be dropped after today’s performance - I would argue no. Buckley for Whitfield? Not really like for like is it? Buckley for Haynes perhaps.

Kenners was very good but I can see him being the “tactical sub” for most of the year - but I would also like to see Game 150 and life membership be a run-on start not as the sub. So I would have him in this week.

Cadman for Riccardi makes the most sense - but I would rather he debut at home.

I don’t know how long Preuss is out for, but Flynn was pretty damn good and deserves another game.

it will be interesting to see how we pull up from the extreme heat and massive cramping and the long flight.

Last edited:
Well, what a gutsy round 1 win that was in the heat, with multiple injuries, and coming from 28 points down. Unfortunately, we may pay for it next week in hampering what is a winnable game against the Eagles. The west has never been a happy hunting ground for us, and we'll be three major injured players down (Perryman, Whitfield & Kelly). The Eagles had a very poor 2022, and lost to last year's wooden spooners in round 1, so they'll be primed to knock us over at home. Losing 3 of our top line midfielders will make it that much harder for us. Nevertheless, another good test for Adam Kingsley, and the team.

The midfield performance today was superb after the first quarter, and if we want to hope to beat the Eagles, they'll need to reproduce that best form. Cogs and Tom Green were enormous, with half of the team's clearances between them. Josh Kelly was the other mainstay, and he'll be out. What I expect is that Finn Callaghan will take on his role, so getting more inside time rather than the more outside role he's played. We'll also need to play much smarter on I50 entries than we did today - too much of the "bomb it into the F50", that was easily intercepted, and would give McGovern and Barrass a field day next week. When we played fast and smart in the second half, moving the ball forward like a chess game, we ended up with a much better result. We just need to have some deeper entries rather than marking it around the 45-50m mark, as most of our shots from there dropped short or were inaccurate. We also need to tighen up our defensive play - defending our man from too far away was giving too much easy ball to the Crows players, while then defended tightly on us and we couldn't get the ball. We needed the heat to tire them out in the second half to allow us to break up their defence - but we shouldn't need to rely on that.

We also need to see if there's any other niggles come from this game; Lloyd, Daniels, Haynes all mentioned at times, but it's possible they were all heat-related and more cramps than niggles.

With the late game in WA, it shouldn't be as hot as today in Sydney. Long range forecast for WA is 25 degrees, which would be good conditions to employ a running game. The big interest will be on the injuries from this game, and the replacements. Pez, Whitters and Chook are definitely out. XOH is now injured and not an option as a replacement. Options that I think Adam Kingsley would consider:
  • Josh Fahey or Cooper Hamilton to take Whitfield's place - presumably they've trained there and just awaiting an opportunity
  • Connor Stone or Josh Fahey to replace Kelly, taking a more outside role, while Finn Callaghan pushes more inside to replicate Kelly's role
  • moving Cal Ward to take Pez's midfield place, & bring Kenners into the forward line
  • alternatively, Harry Rowston to replace Perryman directly (although when asked about Rowston being "first cab off the rank" as a replacement, AK said not first cab, but definitely an AFL player)
There might be some other moves, such as Ash into midfield, or Binga to midfield, allowing for other replacements in back/forward line, but they strike me as "robbing Peter to pay Paul" kinds of moves (especially after some of Lachie Ash's comments pre-season about being moved around under Leon and wanting a steady role).

And then, are there any tactical changes? Buckley was excellent today, replacing Leek Aleer (who reported some quad tightness and elected not to play). If Leek is OK next week, does he get his spot? How does Haynes pull up? He looked shaky first quarter, but then pulled off two stunning intercepts in the second half that were reminiscent of his form of yore.

Aaron Cadman scored 6 goals in the VFL hitout. Is he a chance to debut in round 2? If so, he'd presumably take Jake Riccardi's spot. But is one game - that we ended up winning - enough time for AK to assess Ricca's value to the team? I suspect not, but you might have a different view.

So, what are your thoughts on changes, and what we need to do to beat the Eagles in WA?
Great preview mate.
My initial though was Fahey for Whitfield
Callan for Perryman
Kelly almost impossible to replace but Rowston is seriously impressive.

I think Stone has the ability to play mid/forward so he might slot info the Ward role left vacant.

Even with all those injuries....what a game. BUCKLEY WAS SPECIAL.

Stunning stuff

Cramps increase recovery time. I doubt we will have a main session (or at least a proper one) this week as a result

Three massive outs
Pez- I have ward covering him and stone into the forward line
Whitfield- he played limited minutes against Gold Coast but fehey looks great. I would play him
Kelly- kennedy is so versatile. Was a wing last year, and I have him in

Tactical sun? No idea atm

I woulnt change anything else. We have to try keep some semblance of continuity

Cramps increase recovery time. I doubt we will have a main session (or at least a proper one) this week as a result

Three massive outs
Whitfield- he played limited minutes against Gold Coast but fehey looks great. I would play him

Whitfield and Kelly both automatically out for 12 days due to concussion

Three massive outs

You definitely don't want a tactical Sun after the effort on the weekend.

Our record in WA is not good. We have won just 1 of our 6 games in WA against the Eagles. However, if we continue to play the way we played during the second half yesterday, this WA history won’t matter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we move Ward in for Perryman.
Stone into the forwards (for Ward)
Rowsten in for Kelly
Fahey for Whitfield.

This all assume XOH is unavailable, in that case, he plays.

Keep it as same same as possible. Kennedy to stay sub.

i think Buckley and Flynn prob did enough to keep their spot. But equally if the original choice is recalled, Im ok with that as well.

Not a surprise, but officially Perryman out against WCE. Adam seems very keen on Jacob and said that Leek maybe available next week as well. Nothing about Cadman, so may mean that he won’t debut against the Eagles?

I reckon we move Ward in for Perryman.
Stone into the forwards (for Ward)
Rowsten in for Kelly
Fahey for Whitfield.

This all assume XOH is unavailable, in that case, he plays.

Keep it as same same as possible. Kennedy to stay sub.

i think Buckley and Flynn prob did enough to keep their spot. But equally if the original choice is recalled, Im ok with that as well.
Eagles don’t be as tall up forward as the crows and they don’t have a proper ruck at the moment so Flynn is all good I’d say. Hard to drop Buckley …. But would love sleek to play if Haynes doesn’t get up.

I’m with you on rowdy Rowston getting a start

Keep it as same same as possible.

Given the way we played and came back, the same squad deserves to play again. I would make only make changes to replace the injured players (so far Kelly, Whitfield and Perryman) and let Buckley and Flynn continue with Kennedy as sub

Team selection is going to depend on where Hamilton/Fahey have been training.

Hamilton was emergency do you would think he is going to come in either on a wing(Callaghan pushing inside) or hbf (for Whitfield)

My preference would be
Hamilton (wing) for Kelly (Callaghan moving onball (could also see a surprise call up for Angwin on the wing)
Rowston for perryman
Fahey for Whitfield
Aleer for Haynes if he doesn’t get up

Leave forward line alone with Kennedy sub again

I think Rowston for Kelly as a swap would leave us too inside heavy throughbthe midfield, especially for Kingsleys game plan, Angwin, Stone or Hamilton make more sense to me with Ward to just play more midfield minutes for Pez.

Fahey for Whitfield sensible, wouldn't be shocked to see Haynes replaced by a smaller defender given the Eagles forward set up, maybe Hamilton comes in for that instead

Not a massive Riccardi fan by any means, but I'd still give him a couple of weeks before bringing in Cadman.

Really should be winning by 5 goals comfortably even with the injuries, but our WA games always scare me

Really don't want to rush Cadman, I know it's tempting considering his output so far but I throwing him in too quick might not be the best idea. Happy to give him a few real VFL games beofre making the switch.

Our record in WA is not good. We have won just 1 of our 6 games in WA against the Eagles. However, if we continue to play the way we played during the second half yesterday, this WA history won’t matter
The belief was the biggest thing to come out of yesterday. No way would we have come back from that
Eagles don’t be as tall up forward as the crows and they don’t have a proper ruck at the moment so Flynn is all good I’d say. Hard to drop Buckley …. But would love sleek to play if Haynes doesn’t get up.

I’m with you on rowdy Rowston getting a start
nic Nat could be back?

The market has us slight favourites at $1.80 to West Coast $2.05, despite it being in Perth, our historically bad record in Perth and our injuries. We should be optimistic and as some posters have said, the self belief could be the biggest benefit from yesterday’s fantastic come from behind win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back