Autopsy 2023 Rd 9 Blues tease but go down again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Dogs in Round 9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Would Richmond have won any of those flags without Dusty's moments of brilliance?
No. Even the team that prides itself more than any other for being a "system first" team, at least that's what Hardwick says at any opportunity (definitely not to give himself credit...), they still depended on one of the best big game players ever to go to that level.

I think he has been affected by Charlie playing in the forwardline. I think H thrived knowing he was the no.1 dog in the forward line and he commanded the 50 like he knew it. After Charlies return and has returned to his match-breaking best Harry is clearly no.2 now and I don't think he's quite figured out how to play that role. He's definitely not the same commanding presence in the air inside 50. He is when he gets up to the wings and he commands his space but inside 50 he's nowhere near as much of a presence.

It was fine last year - this year he has had a stinker inside the f50 - been decent up the ground and presenting but hasn't hit his straps at all inside f50 which is a major issue.

It may take just one game where he kicks 5 goals and he's away - hopefully

It was fine last year - this year he has had a stinker inside the f50 - been decent up the ground and presenting but hasn't hit his straps at all inside f50 which is a major issue.

I noticed some apprehension last yr though he definitely seemed to pick his moments when to take command so that's fair, the balance worked well.

Makes you think his kicking could be responsible for it inside the 50. Isn't sure he really wants it knowing the pressure that comes.

Harry is in his 8th year on the senior list. Might pay to remember that he didn't go into his draft year as a dominant key forward. For memory he was a bit of tall utility, forced up forward because of injury. Had a reasonably small sample size to go off.
So the way Voss is playing him as a roaming forward up the ground is the right call then.

We forgetting Harry kicked 45 goals last year?

He's way out of form.

Our delivery has been trash, but he and Charlie work well together
Harry's not Robinson Crusoe!

Cripps, Hewett, Weitering, Young are in abysmal form.

Walsh is still building....

Even Saad and McGovern have been 'patchy'.

JSOS been bog ordinary too (hint: hire Fev to TEACH the lot of you to kick straight!!!)

And the youngsters - Mots, Durdin, Hollands (to a lesser extent) are frequently going missing.

And Acres goes from hero to zero on a week by week basis.

Our ball movement and our forward line are dead average. and while ball movement can be fixed relatively quickly if they're willing to play with more dare, the forward line is a different beast.

Out of six players that start there we currently have two earning their pay checks, Curnow and Owies so it's no wonder we're shite at scoring, Harry's confidence is shot and no one else down there puts the fear of god in any opposition.

Faster ball movement will help but we need to ensure we draft/recruit better forward players , Charlie and Harry aren't supported well enough as it stands now.

In 2021 Harry kicked a lot goals when there were smaller or no crowds due to Covid.

He was ok last year but down on his 2021 output albeit not as much as last year when the crowds returned.

Either way I think I’ve seen enough of him to conclude he can’t handle the pressure of kicking set shots for goal.

It is probably among the top 5 biggest factors holding us back currently and needs to addressed by H and the club.

I hold onto the hood that Tomahawk was a bad kick for goal in his earlier years so it’s something that can improve.
Nah. He just has the yips. Its all farting around with technique and too many options. He needs to just drop punt always.

True!
But what happened?
Hazza was fine 2 years ago.
Why such a bad slump?

Not solely. No.

What a mess.
See above.......

the way I see it the best full forward ever...Dunstall,.... never ever varied his action. He used the drop punt and extreme concentration to just repeat it a thousand times. More important even for Harry than anyone with such long legs.

His head is in the clouds with way too much info

Last edited:
I think he has been affected by Charlie playing in the forwardline. I think H thrived knowing he was the no.1 dog in the forward line and he commanded the 50 like he knew it. After Charlies return and has returned to his match-breaking best Harry is clearly no.2 now and I don't think he's quite figured out how to play that role. He's definitely not the same commanding presence in the air inside 50. He is when he gets up to the wings and he commands his space but inside 50 he's nowhere near as much of a presence.
The role is fine.
If he only corrected his goal-kicking, he'd be playing well, and we'd be winning.

All of the players you mentioned from 95 had leadership qualities, name 7 of our current team who show genuine leadership. We are bereft of it, everyone can talk up a good game but when it comes to delivering when things get tough, it's crickets. I agree with you, if it's not coming from the top tier players, then forget it.
Geez. I remember our 95 side, and they were good. If Kouta had a rare bad day, Diesel didn't. Is Bradley had a shocker, which I can't remember, then Sticks didn't.

Brad Pearce, a local Tas boy, kicked a few in the GF. He'd be bottom 8 of that team and he does that in a grand final. Our bottom 8 players these days kick the ball out on the full, do hospital handballs, can't tackle.

See above.......

the way I see it the best full forward ever...Dunstall,.... never ever varied his action. He used the drop punt and extreme concentration to just repeat it a thousand times. More important even for Harry than anyone with such long legs.

His head is in the clouds with way too much info

Surely you mean Tony Lockett

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might have been 'fine' last year, but it was a big drop-off from the year before.
He went from 58.33 to 45.31

And his routine has deteriorated.
Routine is fundamental to good goal-kicking, and his is junk now.

I do find it funny when a player misses a snap shot at goal everyone loses their s**t but if they miss it kicking a drop punt its 'bugger, better luck next time' 🤣
One has a routine involved, and gives you the best chance of success time and time again.
The other (from most positions) is just a cop-out effort.

I can't stand the way we're playing at the moment, but sacking Voss isn't the answer.
In addition to it becoming the place where coaches go to die (or get another pay check after they have already died), it just tells the playing group that if they suck then the coach for this season will take the blame and they're ok.

Voss needs a strong 2IC to take over the game plan, during the week and on game day.
Who that is, I don't know. Leppa is the obvious choice: has proven to be a great strategist and possibly one of a small number of people Voss would listen to.
No sure why he'd want the job though, going from the Pies who are flying to a basket case. Can't just wave $$$ at it any more.
So you’re suggesting we keep Voss and just bring in someone to do the bulk of his job?
This is his system, he is accountable for it.
Nothing stopping him changing it up.

So the way Voss is playing him as a roaming forward up the ground is the right call then.

Yes. He should be up the ground. Make him ruck. Make him drop a kick behind the play at times. Then let him saunter into the forward 50 with more confidence as a tall utility.

Have to clear him out of Charlie's way. Have to get him away from the pressure of kicking goals and help him find confidence in other spots. Esssentially, we're using him like Silvagni and Silvagni is playing second tall forward. Jack is well versed in leading away to open up the leading lanes for the other tall forwards. He can make himself dangerous. Harry leaving the area will also help our smalls to play to Charlie and/or find space.

That stat where we targeted McKay 12 times against the Dogs and Charlie 4 times is alarming. No way should we be sacrificing Charlie's potency to try to build Harry's confidence.

OK so a couple of days have passed & I’ve all but blocked out the shambolisms of games past - willing to look for some positives from that performance.

(oh lord, wait…fighting off the quick sharp shock of a painful recall - unending ballooned kicks for goal ….oh god!)

OK breeeaaath….one Mississippi, two…

….So we had a 30 minute patch when we kicked 6 unanswered, won the ball, moved it Ok and converted!!!

There, I did it :).

So we have that to build on right?

We played Dogs without Treloar and Lions without Zorko. Did it stop them? No they have a system and other talented mids stepped up.

Last 2 rounds last year were amongst our best games with really compromised midfields.

If he’s injured don’t play him, almost hope he doesn’t front this week just to see who steps up in our team. He has NIL or few tackles and has no influence/disposals when injured.
Quick one on this;

Both teams we played have been flying, we played a great brand of shyteness, still only losing by 3 goals.

There’s something in the margin given we have nothing but upside.

Our ball movement and our forward line are dead average. and while ball movement can be fixed relatively quickly if they're willing to play with more dare, the forward line is a different beast.
Think our ball movement and transition from D50 to forward line has been our achillies heel for a while (was an issue last year and before).

Our kicking skills and decision making moving the ball for way needs to improve massively. Not sure it can be fixed all that quickly tbh…hopefully it can.

Back