Toast 2023 Rising Star - Congratulations Harry Sheezel of The North Melbourne Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
elite player in position or run of the mill player borderline AFL player?

It is all in the eyes of the beholder

Performance has never been in the eyes of the beholder.

How many number one picks do you think play back pocket, and how many AA back pockets were taken with pick 1?

Performance has never been in the eyes of the beholder.

How many number one picks do you think play back pocket, and how many AA back pockets were taken with pick 1?
Ironic, coming from a Hawks fan.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
While I think Sheezel deserves rising star and Ashcroft isn’t far behind, I don’t think I’ve been as excited about a draftee as I am about Humphrey.

He might already be, per possession the most damaging player we have. Will be a monster once he’s built his tank.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
While I think Sheezel deserves rising star and Ashcroft isn’t far behind, I don’t think I’ve been as excited about a draftee as I am about Humphrey.

He might already be, per possession the most damaging player we have. Will be a monster once he’s built his tank.

He is a beauty for sure. Think he had a limited pre season too (recovering from an injury)

Got talent to burn and really fun to watch.

BRider

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
North Melbourne

North fans feel the same about Sheezel and Wardlaw - this looks a super draft for the top 10 for all clubs.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

Finally Jye Amiss gets his recognition !

Well done young man ! A big part of Freo's future :)

Jye-sing star.....someone had a case of CBF's today.
so much you can do with Amiss in the context of footy

well deserved though.
the crop of Amiss, Erasmus, O'Driscoll, Johnson, Frederick & Jackson is going to complement Young, Serong, Brayshaw and co. quite nicely in years to come.

I know I've mentioned him before but I think Shammy is having an underated season so far. Has went from last picked on the list to locked in our best 22. Hopefully due for a body of work nomination soon.
Screenshot_20230531-090956.png

I know I've mentioned him before but I think Shammy is having an underated season so far. Has went from last picked on the list to locked in our best 22. Hopefully due for a body of work nomination soon.
View attachment 1700973
As that’s “rookies” I assume that excludes Amiss because otherwise imma bout to be very triggered..

Dockeroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 1, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
How many goals does Amiss need to kick to win this award?
40? He should make that amount based on his current trajectory

45? Would be hard to ignore that - I don’t think a rising star nominee has kicked 45 goals in a season this century

50? That’s getting close to All Australian territory. Would be unprecedented for a 19 year old key forward to kick 50 goals in the modern game.

The funny thing is I can think of at least 3 goals already this season that he handed off to players like Schultz and Frederick for some Joe the Goose goals.

If he kicks more than 40 goals in the regular season It’s going to be very hard for the voting panel not to give him the award. The lack of a clear alternative between Ashcroft and Sheezel also helps

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

45? Would be hard to ignore that - I don’t think a rising star nominee has kicked 45 goals in a season this century

50? That’s getting close to All Australian territory. Would be unprecedented for a 19 year old key forward to kick 50 goals in the modern game.

The funny thing is I can think of at least 3 goals already this season that he handed off to players like Schultz and Frederick for some Joe the Goose goals.

If he kicks more than 40 goals in the regular season It’s going to be very hard for the voting panel not to give him the award. The lack of a clear alternative between Ashcroft and Sheezel also helps

It's not unprecedented.

Hogan kicked 44 & 41 goals in his first two seasons. He'd already kicked about 60 goals to this point of his career vs Amiss' 23.

Hogan beat Patrick Cripps by 4 votes in that 44 goal season, it was Cripps' second season and he averaged 23 disposals a game.

Georgiades kicked 32.17 from 21 games as a second year forward and finished 3rd to Jackson and Green.

Green averaged 15 disposals a game and Jackson 12 touches, 10 hitouts and kicked 16 goals in his second season.

What Sheezel and Ashcroft are doing are levels above what Green did when he finished second to Jackson.

Given Sheezel has the second most amount of disposals in history from a players first 11 games (and 3/4 years younger than that player in 1st)....

It very well might take 50+ goals to beat him, because no rising star (1st year player or otherwise) has racked up this amount of the ball, not even Daicos and Walsh and they were unanimous runaway winners.

1st year rookies are naturally elevated above 2nd and 3rd year players. Talls get some leeway though obviously.

Ashcroft is the current bookies favourite FWIW.

There's actually a possibility that Amiss doesn't even make the podium, given the strength of this Rising Star group, especially with how Humphrey is building.

I think the comment is quite a bit off regarding clear alternatives given Owens and Humprey's likely season.

There's others that managed 3-4 games pre the half way mark, that will come into voting consideration with 14-15 games by the end of the season.

From what I've seen, the voting contenders by the end of the year will be out of the following group imo, the bold have already recieved nominations, I'm expecting the others to receive them by the end of the year:

Sheezel
Ashcroft
Amiss
Owens
Michalanney
Callaghan
Humphrey
Phillipou

Mackenzie
Ginbey
Weddle

Wardlaw
Ford

Last edited:

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not unprecedented.

Hogan kicked 44 & 41 goals in his first two seasons. He'd already kicked about 60 goals to this point of his career vs Amiss' 23.

Hogan beat Patrick Cripps by 4 votes in that 44 goal season, it was Cripps' second season and he averaged 23 disposals a game.

Georgiades kicked 32.17 from 21 games as a second year forward and finished 3rd to Jackson and Green.

Green averaged 15 disposals a game and Jackson 12 touches, 10 hitouts and kicked 16 goals in his second season.

What Sheezel and Ashcroft are doing are levels above what Green did when he finished second to Jackson.

Given Sheezel has the second most amount of disposals in history from a players first 11 games (and 3/4 years younger than that player in 1st)....

It very well might take 50+ goals to beat him, because no rising star (1st year player or otherwise) has racked up this amount of the ball, not even Daicos and Walsh and they were unanimous runaway winners.

1st year rookies are naturally elevated above 2nd and 3rd year players. Talls get some leeway though obviously.

There's actually a possibility that Amiss doesn't even make the podium, given the strength of this Rising Star group, especially with how Humphrey is building.

I think the comment is quite a bit off regarding clear alternatives given Owens and Humprey's likely season.

There's others that managed 3-4 games pre the half way mark, that will come into voting consideration with 14-15 games by the end of the season.

From what I've seen, the voting contenders by the end of the year will be out of the following group imo:

Sheezel
Ashcroft
Amiss
Owens
Michalanney
Callaghan
Humphrey
Phillipou
Mackenzie
Ginbey
Wardlaw
Ford
Hogan had not kicked 60 goals by his 13th game. He also didn’t play in his first year. So at the same point as amiss (by game 13 reached in his second year) they pretty much even

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hogan had not kicked 60 goals by his 12th game

Hogan had kicked 60 goals by the 11th round of his second season, which is relevant to RS discussion. He'd already had a 44 goal season AND won a RS award.

Amiss has kicked 23 goals by the 11th round of his second season.

This is Amiss' second season.

My point was, this isn't unprecedented for a KPF of this age like you were describing, I've given you another recent clear example, of someone who did it, even earlier in their career.

Hogan had kicked 60 goals by the 11th round of his second season, which is relevant to RS discussion. He'd already had a 44 goal season AND won a RS award.

My point was, this isn't unprecedented for a KPF of this age like you were describing, I've given you another recent clear example, of someone who did it, even earlier in their career.
Hogan was on Melbourne's list (as a 17 year old) in 2013. He didn't play in 2014 due to injury, which was his first year where he was eligible to play. By round 11 of his second year he had 21 goals.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not unprecedented.

From what I've seen, the voting contenders by the end of the year will be out of the following group imo, the bold have already recieved nominations, I'm expecting the others to receive them by the end of the year:

Sheezel
Ashcroft
Amiss
Owens
Michalanney
Callaghan
Humphrey
Phillipou

Mackenzie
Ginbey
Weddle

Wardlaw
Ford
Hogan kicked 60 goals from his first 13 games?

s_wd6

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hogan had not kicked 60 goals by his 12th game

Amiss played 3 games in his first season. Hogan played 0 games in his first season. You can’t be comparing Hogan’s 20 game ‘first season’ to Amiss’s 3 game actual first season.

By the 11th round of each ‘second season’ (even though it’s hogans 3rd season) Amiss had played 13 games in his career and Hogan had played 30+.

I know you want to advocate for Sheezel or Wtv but use some common sense.

Last edited:

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Amiss played 3 games in his first season. Hogan played 0 games in his first season. You can’t be comparing Hogan’s 20 game ‘first season’ to Amiss’s 3 game actual first season.

By the 11th round of each ‘second season’ (even though it’s hogans 3rd season) Amiss had played 13 games in his career and Hogan had played 30+.

I know you want to advocate for Sheezel or Wtv but use some common sense.

It's nothing to do with Sheezel.

I literally stated Ashcroft is the current favourite, which he is....

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Does anyone think Humphrey is a good chance to finish top 3 in voting (probably now out of Sheezel and Ashcroft realistically)

I know Owens and Amiss have been sensational, but i got a feeling Humphrey will come home with a wet sail.

lordbob

Team Captain
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Rhys Palmer has him covered :D

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Sheezel's chances are being hurt because he is being tested in different positions, including forward where the Roos struggle. If he remained at HBF he would continue to rack up 30+ possessions and be a lock.

Ashcroft already being in the middle and kicking goals would be ahead, but if Sheezel can start to kick goals then he can easily take back the lead.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Sheezel's chances are being hurt because he is being tested in different positions, including forward where the Roos struggle. If he remained at HBF he would continue to rack up 30+ possessions and be a lock.

Ashcroft already being in the middle and kicking goals would be ahead, but if Sheezel can start to kick goals then he can easily take back the lead.

Unfortunately North's on going struggles will probably hurt Sheezel's chances, whereas Ashcroft continues to shine for a premiership/top 4 contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back