Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been incredible no doubt, But you don't truly think he's been the best player for the year surely?
I reckon you've watched about 1 Port Adelaide game all year if you think that's an unreasonable call. He's leading coaches votes and Champion Data rates him #1 so far playing for a team that's 2nd on the ladder.

That doesn't answer why the other poster was specifically targeting Stewart as undeserving compared to other AA defenders (even if Sicily was deserving and unlucky to miss selection). And looking at just Stewart vs Sicily in 2022 (and stats aren't everything), they look very similar to me. One slightly ahead in some areas, one slightly ahead in other areas. Definitely not a huge gap between the two that would lead one to be so definitive that one was better than the other.

View attachment 1701166
The main ones are intercepts, rebounds and disposals for those types of defenders, defensive loss % comes into it but both played differing roles, efficiency, metres gained help but arent necessary.

I don't understand him going after just Stewart but Sicily should of been there over anyone, he is the best defender in the league imo.

That doesn't answer why the other poster was specifically targeting Stewart as undeserving compared to other AA defenders (even if Sicily was deserving and unlucky to miss selection). And looking at just Stewart vs Sicily in 2022 (and stats aren't everything), they look very similar to me. One slightly ahead in some areas, one slightly ahead in other areas. Definitely not a huge gap between the two that would lead one to be so definitive that one was better than the other.

View attachment 1701166

The reason averages don't tell the full story (and I agree stats aren't everything as Sicily played a lockdown key defender role and Stewart was mostly loose) is that Stewart missed a quarter of the season. AA teams are selected on total performance, not your 'average' and only 3 players have ever been selected with 17 games played (not counting the fact that Stewart went off injured in the first quarter of another game). Those 3 players are Garry Ablett Jnr at his absolute "one of the best of all time" zenith, Lance Franklin at his peak and Stevie J when he had that ridiculous year where he was basically the best player in the comp. IN other words, they were so far ahead of everyone that their total performance (and stats for that matter) still surpassed the guys that played every game, as they were miles better than their competitors.

Stewart didn't have a year where he was so much better than his counterparts that you can overlook him missing a quarter of the season. In fact, as your stats indicate, his average performance was still (minorly) inferior to the players that played all season.

Look at the key stats I posted about Sicily last year when I was having a melt :):

OK, so promised melt....

Sicily not making it is an absolute, f@#king joke....

Was probably the most obvious selection of any player and is one of the all time best defensive performances and still misses out. He played on and shut down opposition talls every week and going the other way, he:
  • Finished 14th in the Coaches votes, easily the most of any defender
  • Picked up Coaches votes in more games than any other player in the comp
  • Took 27 more marks than any other player in the comp - that's the equivalent of a month's worth of games better than the next best.
  • Had 21 more rebound 50's than any other player in the comp - that's the equivalent of 3 weeks worth of games
  • Had the 2nd most metres gained in the competition (no other key defender in the top 20)
  • Had the 4th most kicks in the competition (no other key defender in the top 25)
  • Had the 2nd most intercepts in the competition
  • Had the 8th most spoils in the competition
  • Has easily the highest ranking points of any 'tall' in the comp (8th of all players in the comp)
Essentially, he was a key defender, shutting down opposition talls whilst under sized and undersiege and still had the numbers of an elite midfielder going the other way. It hasn't really been done before.

Yet someone like Stewart - who missed 5 games, 1 barely played - has less of every attacking stat in the comp, much less coaches votes, much less ranking points and got to play as the free man all season, gets in ahead.

For shame selectors, for shame!!

Lol, you Hawks supporters are so salty about Sicily. If you had to take out one defender from the AA team last year, surely Maynard would go before Stewart.

I think you'll find Hawthorn supporters are particularly salty about a lot of things - try reading the Rising Star threads over the years (Rioli, Burton, Newcombe, etc.) ;). or the tanking thread or the 'better youth' threads.

Sicily's ommission was a massive gaffe last year though - supporters of all sides were in agreement on that (but probably time for some of us, me included, to move on).

In terms of Maynard or Stewart coming out - I agree it could have been either. The reason Stewart is raised more frequently I think is because: (a) it is much more like for like than a small defender (main reason) and (b) what I mentioned earlier about missed games.

Whilst these would be the main reasons, I wouldn't completely rule out for some: (c) the feeling that Stewart has pipped him in some 50/50 calls over their careers already and has a bagful of AA's as it is and/or (d) the feeling that Geelong players seem to be more likely to get the nod.

Hopefully those last 2 sillier reasons are in the minority.

A couple more good games and Luke Jackson could slot on the bench as second ruck/forward. Aka the NicNat?

Sicily Moore (C) Wilkie
N Daicos Andrews Sinclair
J Daicos Bontempelli Dawson
Petracca J Cameron De Goey
Greene Curnow C Cameron
English Butters Merrett

IC - Taranto Rozee Serong Neale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks really good. I only had 1 question mark and that was Lachie Neale's selection.
Neale probably isn’t getting the possession he normally gets due to Ashcroft McCluggage and Dunkley joining him in the midfield this season he is in the top 3 for clearances this year though

this tells me that people don't watch football (not you mate, the organisers of this team)

Jack Sinclair pretty much plays midfield or even half back and is a ball pig, nothing else. Mason Redman has had a better year deffensively than Jack.

Zac Merret criminally under rated by so many, has had a better year than Conor Rozee and almost make a case that only one of Gulden, Daicos or Rozee, all fwd thinking midfielders should be in the team. Merret is sitting 6th in coaches votes such is his year.

Neale probably isn’t getting the possession he normally gets due to Ashcroft McCluggage and Dunkley joining him in the midfield this season he is in the top 3 for clearances this year though

I haven't looked at any of his stats, only going by my eyes. He doesn't look to be in the game like he usually is.

Just not at AA level I would have thought.

But that's just me!

I haven't looked at any of his stats, only going by my eyes. He doesn't look to be in the game like he usually is.

Just not at AA level I would have thought.

But that's just me!
He’s not getting the possessions he normally does but he’s been really good.
As I said the possessions are lower but he’s had more help this season with Dunkley Ashcroft and McCluggage getting more midfield minutes the Lions aren’t a team that’s been overusing the footy as well intriguing we’re rated 18th for possession of the Football this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back