Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Curnow wouldn't be an auto selection imo

15 goals v North & Eagles are severely over stating this years form

Larkey and Sheezel will be in the squad imo, but I don't think either will make the final team.

Can't see anyone else from North getting a look in.

Larkey and Sheezel will be in the squad imo, but I don't think either will make the final team.

Can't see anyone else from North getting a look in.
McKay looked awesome

My point is you need to define his role and I believe his role is an intercept defender and if that's the case he should be looked at in a different way.
Jones plays as the number 1 KPD every week and takes the best forward. He certainly doesn’t play the intercept role although he does intercept a fair bit.

Oscar Allen making things interesting with sheer consistency. Chance at the squad of 40.

Jones plays as the number 1 KPD every week and takes the best forward. He certainly doesn’t play the intercept role although he does intercept a fair bit.

Been very good.

Surprising, I reckon that aside from the midfield, the key defender spots have been the most hotly contested the last few years with a number of players producing top shelf seasons (and far fewer spots in the team to be awarded compared to the midfielders).

As such, as good as Jones has been, I still think right now he is more of "a chance at the squad" with obviously half a season still to play out where rankings can shift.

At the moment, I would have the following players ahead of Jones: Darcy Moore, James Sicily, Callum Wilkie, Charlie Ballard

and the following players around the same level: Tom Stewart, Harris Andrews, Aliir Allir, Steven May and believe it or not, before injury, Jack Payne.

I reckon right now the first 4 are definates for the squad, Tom Stewart quite likely (particularly given selection history) and the others (including Jones) competing for whatever other spots they award.

Round 11

B: Redman Moore Stewart
HB: Daicos Wilkie Sinclair
C: Gulden Bontempelli Daicos
HF: Rozee Cameron Petracca
F: Greene Curnow Cameron
Foll: English Oliver Taranto
Int: Dawson, Serong, Liberatore, Butters

Ins: Redman
Out: Sheezal
B: Redman Moore Stewart
HB: Daicos Wilkie Sinclair
C: Gulden Bontempelli Daicos
HF: Rozee Cameron Petracca
F:Greene Curnow Cameron
Foll: English Taranto Butters
Int: Dawson, Oliver, Serong, Liberatore

No change. Positional change, Butters swaps with Oliver.

Oscar Allen making things interesting with sheer consistency. Chance at the squad of 40.

Should be more than a chance. Having a fantastic season and to sit (equal) 3rd in the Coleman, playing in a team struggling as badly as it is, is a ridiculous feat.

Much fewer inside 50's, can be more easily double teamed and still have kicked 32 goals is awesome for a young KPF.

Obviously have to see what plays out with the quagmire of players with the same (or similar) number of goals for the rest of the season.

If they actually pick wingers , and providing they keep up their good form, it would be for me Daicos, then Martin, then Wood. Woods form has plateaued the last month, Martins has risen.

What Daicos has over both is the fact he was actually in the squad last year. They like to reward players generally on more than one season.

It’s probably too soon for Martin , Wood this year but they could easily both make the squad which sets them up for a crack at it next year.

If they actually pick wingers , and providing they keep up their good form, it would be for me Daicos, then Martin, then Wood. Woods form has plateaued the last month, Martins has risen.

What Daicos has over both is the fact he was actually in the squad last year. They like to reward players generally on more than one season.

It’s probably too soon for Martin , Wood this year but they could easily both make the squad which sets them up for a crack at it next year.
Would be nice if the wingers had a realistic chance of making it and they were compared to each other, I'd love to have a Josh vs Nic debate but it's more likely a Josh vs Merrett, Dawson or Serong debate, which is not fair on Josh (any winger)

Goals and assists round 12:

1. Tom Hawkins 49 (32/17)
2. Jeremy Cameron 47 (38/9)
3. Charlie Curnow 45 (38/7)
4. Toby Greene 42 (29/13)
5. Oscar Allen/Charlie Cameron 37 (32/5)/Kyle Langford (24/13)
8. Nick Larkey 35 (32/3)/Brodie Mihocek (31/4)/Ben King (30/5)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind 7 midfielders. How many do you think will be in the team?
For now but he's climbing.

They'll put Daicos off a HB and Petracca on a HFF. De Goey is about to miss 3 or 4 games, he might take a game or two to warm back up. That'd leave 5 or 6 spots for midfielders. Butters is a lock, Bont probably too although he has dropped off a fair bit the last month. Oliver likely slots in. TT would be around the mark for one of the last 2 or 3 spots. He has kicked more goals than any other mid bar Petracca so if he keeps up the goal per game average he may well slot into a HFF spot himself.

Last edited:
Behind 7 midfielders. How many do you think will be in the team?
Usually 10. 5 starters, one on the hff and 4 on the bench.

A second ruck averaging 2 hitouts a game. Fun fact, Hawkins is averaging more hitouts per game than him, and has 13 more goal assists than him.

Daniher is the 4th best key forward so far this year.

He's not the type of backup ruck to dominate hitouts, he just has to compete and then work his opponent around the ground, and that's what he does.

Fun fact: Look at his disposal counts from round 4 onwards when he took on that role. There's his value as a backup ruck.

I know it's hard to take as a Bombers fan, but with the exception of one round, Joe killed it in the first half of the season.

If you treat second ruck as a proper AA position (as opposed to just using the interchange as a way to cram more mids in) he absolutely walks it in.

How the AA side would be for me if structured like a normal footy side (7 def, 5/6 fwd, 2 wings, 1/2 ruck, 6 mid):

James Sicily - Charlie Ballard - Callum Wilkie
Jack Sinclair - Darcy Moore - Nick Daicos
Josh Daicos - Zak Butters - Nic Martin
Kyle Langford - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
Tom Hawkins - Charlie Curnow - Charlie Cameron
Tim English - Christian Petracca - Zach Merrett
Dan Houston - Jordan De Goey - Marcus Bontempelli - Connor Rozee

What I think would be the side to this point:

Caleb Serong - Zak Butters - Zach Merrett
Christian Petracca - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Jordan De Goey
Connor Rozee - Tim Taranto - Noah Anderson - Jordan Dawson

How the AA side would be for me if structured like a normal footy side (7 def, 5/6 fwd, 2 wings, 1/2 ruck, 6 mid):

Josh Daicos - Zak Butters - Nic Martin
Kyle Langford - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
Tim English - Christian Petracca - Zach Merrett
Dan Houston - Jordan De Goey - Marcus Bontempelli - Connor Rozee

What I think would be the side to this point:

Caleb Serong - Zak Butters - Zach Merrett
Christian Petracca - Jeremy Cameron - Toby Greene
Tim English - Marcus Bontempelli - Jordan De Goey
Connor Rozee - Tim Taranto - Noah Anderson - Jordan Dawson
2 teams and no Neale in either team

He's not the type of backup ruck to dominate hitouts, he just has to compete and then work his opponent around the ground, and that's what he does.

Fun fact: Look at his disposal counts from round 4 onwards when he took on that role. There's his value as a backup ruck.

I know it's hard to take as a Bombers fan, but with the exception of one round, Joe killed it in the first half of the season.

If you treat second ruck as a proper AA position (as opposed to just using the interchange as a way to cram more mids in) he absolutely walks it in.
Get down from your ivory tower. Have a look at my posting history on Daniher. I'm one of the Essendon fans who still likes him

Joe is having an excellent season. I have no problem saying that. I literally said he's the 4th best key forward this season, but unfortunately for him right now he's clearly behind Hawkins, Cameron and Curnow. Can that change so he gets his second jacket? Of course.

On weekly Suns watch, Rowell and Anderson up to 6th and 7th in coaches votes respectively, ahead of the likes of Neale, Bont, Oliver and Taranto.

Would both be pushing for a spot.
Anderson is probably in I think

Oliver has missed a couple of games which has seen him drop on the leaderboard. Neale is a game behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back