2023 Round 1 - Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

i think its Noble and WHE that start to mkae way for the new recruits and even Cox spending less time as starting line up then before

Frampton, Dean, Murphy (Kelly) have the preseason to win the position
Reckon Frampton has the physical edge we lack 200cm 100 k.
It allows Moore to take Curnow or Cameron while Frampton takes McKay or Hawkins (Howe to intercept as the 3rd KPD)
It also allows us to play Frampton as Ruck inside the back 50m line and McStay inside the forward 50. Cameron roams the middle
McStay as secondary ruck when Cameron plays forward
Murphy becomes the 8th defender, Noble's ability to play wing guarantees his spot, with the same principle applied to WHE
The Sub/5th player will be interesting. I lean toward N Kreuger
Disappointed with losing Grundy and Henry but the list is better balanced wth decent depth throughout

B: J Howe B Frampton B Maynard

HB: I Quaynor D Moore S Pendlebury

C: S Sidebottom J De Goey J Daicos

HF: N Daicos D McStay B McCreery

F: J Elliott B Mihocek J Ginnivan

R: D Cameron J Crisp T Mitchell

Int: WHE T Adams P Lipinski J Noble

Frampton, Dean, Murphy (Kelly) have the preseason to win the position
Reckon Frampton has the physical edge we lack 200cm 100 k.
It allows Moore to take Curnow or Cameron while Frampton takes McKay or Hawkins (Howe to intercept as the 3rd KPD)
It also allows us to play Frampton as Ruck inside the back 50m line and McStay inside the forward 50. Cameron roams the middle
McStay as secondary ruck when Cameron plays forward
Murphy becomes the 8th defender, Noble's ability to play wing guarantees his spot, with the same principle applied to WHE
The Sub/5th player will be interesting. I lean toward N Kreuger
Disappointed with losing Grundy and Henry but the list is better balanced wth decent depth throughout

B: J Howe B Frampton B Maynard

HB: I Quaynor D Moore S Pendlebury

C: S Sidebottom J De Goey J Daicos

HF: N Daicos D McStay B McCreery

F: J Elliott B Mihocek J Ginnivan

R: D Cameron J Crisp T Mitchell

Int: WHE T Adams P Lipinski J Noble
Beautifully summed up but I want Hill in that side, for Noble perhaps?

Just an after thought but could we possibly try Hill running off HB at times during the year just to add some flexibilty to his game

Beautifully summed up but I want Hill in that side, for Noble perhaps?

Just an after thought but could we possibly try Hill running off HB at times during the year just to add some flexibilty to his game
Competition for spots is a beautiful thing. Hill is in my emergencies, but if Noble misses N Daicos moves back, Hill into the fwd line

Big call for my first post but imagine if.

Two of Frampton, Dean, Murphy, Kelly won a spot enabling > Darcy Moore to a wing

Big call for my first post but imagine if.

Two of Frampton, Dean, Murphy, Kelly won a spot enabling > Darcy Moore to a wing
I don't see the fascination with 200cm wingers. I think it's a waste of their height.

I don't see the fascination with 200cm wingers. I think it's a waste of their height.
Agree. If you win at CHB, you have gone a fair way to winning the game.

If Dean and Murphy can play accountable football, Moore and Howe can launch counter attacks with their intercept marking. Quaynor and Maynard also bring their share of quality.

Agree. If you win at CHB, you have gone a fair way to winning the game.

If Dean and Murphy can play accountable football, Moore and Howe can launch counter attacks with their intercept marking. Quaynor and Maynard also bring their share of quality.
Furthermore, the wing is already one of our points of difference. I don't think there was a better combination of wingers than Sidebottom and Josh Daicos n 2022. Moore is a star defender and that's where he belongs

Going to be fun to pick the team.
If Frampton and Dean can have a good pre-season and challenge for a spot we will have plenty of options down back.
Midfield the same 2x Daicos Crisp Adams De Goey Mitchell Pendlebury Lipinski Sidebottom etc.
Forward line will be better with McStay and I think Hill will be great for us put him out in front of a packed MCG he will love it.
Plenty of x factor in the forwards now all we need is a good run with injuries.
Think Reef McInnes has real talent hopefully he gets a good run and a bit of luck.
Cant wait for it to kick off we have a great team and the future looks good.

Hopefully some of the younger players get opportunities to develop.

We win 15 matches under a goal, against some s**t ordinary teams, and everyone thinks we are in a premiership window. Sydney has a better team, going forward than we have.
Considering that we lost to the grand finalists by six points and one point respectively,and in both games we were dudded by the umpires,I’d say our premiership window is very much open.Of course our team has some weaknesses,but don’t forget that the other so called top sides aren’t exactly perfect either.

B- Howe Krueger Maynard
HB- Crisp Moore Quaynor
C- J.Daicos Mitchell N.Daicos
HF- Elliot McStay Ginnivan
F- Hill Miochek McCreery
FOLL- Cox Adams De Goey
I/C- Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Cameron, Lipinski, Hoskin-Elliot

Emerg- Murphy, Johnson, Macrae, Frampton, Mclnnes, Bianco, Dean, Begg, Noble

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B- Howe Krueger Maynard
HB- Crisp Moore Quaynor
C- J.Daicos Mitchell N.Daicos
HF- Elliot McStay Ginnivan
F- Hill Miochek McCreery
FOLL- Cox Adams De Goey
I/C- Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Cameron, Lipinski, Hoskin-Elliot

Emerg- Murphy, Johnson, Macrae, Frampton, Mclnnes, Bianco, Dean, Begg, Noble
Novel suggestion. Kreuger at fullback and a forward line of rovers.

I laugh at those that are leaving Noble out of the 18 or even 23. He was a very important part of our attack-from-defence gameplan and a genuine contributor to our rise up the ladder this year. Especially if Nick ends up moving higher up the ground (which to be honest I don't think will happen this year), then Noble's role becomes even more important as that attacking runner from defence.

Quaynor Frampton Maynard
Howe Moore Pendlebury
Sidebottom Mitchell Jaicos
Naicos McStay Ginnivan
Elliott Mihocek McCreery
Cameron De Goey Crisp
Adams Lipinski Noble Murphy Kreuger

EMG Hoskin-Elliott Hill Johnson

NIL Cox Carmichael Bianco Dean

VFL Wilson Macrae Draper Kelly Ruscoe McInnes Murley Harrison Begg

My current first blush on Rd 1.

Not convinced about my Ruck situation, but McStay/Kreuger is a more traditional 2nd ruck offering.
Also allows Kreuger to pinch hit in defence if one of the KPP's goes down.

Preferring - the size of Frampton or Dean to Murphy, the pace/pressure of Hill to WHE, Kreuger for versatility across the ground

BacksMaynardDean/FramptonQuaynor
Half BacksHoweMooreN Daicos
WingsSidebottomCrispJ Daicos
Half ForwardsGinnivanMcStayHill
ForwardsMcCreeryMihocekElliott
RucksCameronDeGoeyMitchell
InterchangePendleburyLipinskiAdamsNobleKreuger
Emergencies fromJohnsonCoxFrampton/DeanWHEMurphy

I've thought twice about this. The coaches probably will go with the same ruck set up. It has worked this year. And probably want Mcstay predominant in the fwd line..

Maynard. Frampton/Murphy. Howe
Quaynor. Moore. Pendles
Sidebottom. Mitchell. Jaicos
Elliott. Mihocek. Lippa
Naicos. Mcstay. McCreery
Cameron. De Goey. Crisp

Int: Cox, Noble, Ginnivan, Adams, Kreuger/Johnson/WHE (competing for the possible 5th spot)

Hill is probably competing with Beau. WHE prob ahead for that marking forward role ahead of Kreuger/Johnson.
Same. I see Murphy and Frampton not so much in direct competition for a spot: depending on need for 3 talls and injury we might see both in. Competition for a spot on every line. Impressive trade period after a development year: the pies have moved quickly from their little to no depth status 12 months ago.

Not convinced about my Ruck situation, but McStay/Kreuger is a more traditional 2nd ruck offering.

Preferring - the size of Frampton or Dean to Murphy, the pace/pressure of Hill to WHE, Kreuger for versatility across the ground

This will be close pending any niggles.

Murphy is brave but sometimes panics so imo is a weak link.
The other 3 that I feel will be fighting for spots are Hill, McCreery & Johnson.
Ginnivan has credits but needs to keep growing also to lock a permanent spot with this strong group.

Agree, this is pretty close in my view. I think that only 2 of Hill, Ginni, McCreery will ultimately be in the 23 (if everyone is fit), and I think Kreuger probably comes into the team to replace one of them (making us bigger in the air also), but I agree with the rest of the 23, and directionally the position representation. Again, I think Noble is a more critical contributor in the defence than is reflected above, but that is minor.

Murphinator is not panicky. In fact if 2022 showed anything he is brave and composed now. He knows how to get the best out of his abilities, and he backs himself to be braver than the next schmo.

But... I agree that having Peter Frampton will change the dynamic of the back line. IMO it's Howie's spot to lose. He's had the more erratic season. He's either on and amazing or just plain bog ordinary.

Still too tough to pick the best 22. We have a whole pre-season and there's some personalities who will want to dominate the coaches gaze. Like Jen/others have said, old Schnoz will also demand a spot.

And we haven't even got our new recruits yet!

TBH I still think Cox is gaining confidence and will be a better tap ruck for the next 2 years. He belongs. He just needs a better midfield to capitalise, and if Adams can stay fit then he/Mitchell/DeGoey and McRae can be a force.

Crispy/Bruzzy are great power moves we can sub in at any time of the game to balance out any weakness.

If Krueger stays fit he will be a great bash and crash addition to help out Checkers and AJ up forward.

I really feel confident this year seeing the talent we've brought in - just need to see evidence of that during pre-season.

And Hill... blimey...

I'll make my selection in late Feb/early March :)

Possible positions.

Lock down tall defenders: Dean, Moore, Frampton and maybe Murphy. (Need 2 of these to cover the KPFs)

Intercept Defenders: Howe, Moore, Frampton (1-2)

Small/Medium lock down defenders: IQ, Maynard, Ruscoe, Murphy (2)

Running back flankers: Noble, N Daicos, Pendlebury, Maynard, Crisp, Howe, Ruscoe, Bianco, Draper (2-3)

Wingers: Sidebottom, J Daicos, Hill, Pendlebury, N Daicos, WHE, Bianco (2)

Inside Mids: Mitchell, Adams, DeGoey, MaCrae, Carmichael, Draper, Harrison (2-3)

Outside mids: Lipinski, Pendlebury, Crisp, Elliott, Sidebottom, J Daicos, Harrison, Draper (3)

Rucks: Cox, Cameron, McStay, Begg, Kreuger, Johnson (2)

KPF/ Tall forwards: McStay, Mihocek, Kreuger, Johnson, Cameron, Cox (2)

Small/medium forwards: Elliott, Ginnivan, Hill, N Daicos, WHE, McInnes, Bianco (2)

Lockdown/Pressure forwards: McCreery, Hill, Elliott, McInnes, Harrison (2)

Preferred team

Maynard Dean IQ
N Daicos Moore Frampton
J Daicos Crisp Sidebottom
Cox Mitchell DeGoey
Hill McStay McCreery
Ginnivan Mihocek Elliott

Interchange: Pendlebury, Noble, Lipinski, Adams, Howe

We have a large group of versitile players with many able to play mulitple roles: Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Crisp, Both Daicos', Elliott, Hill and even McCreery and Ginnivan being adaptable.

Best tap ruck Cox pairing up with McStay in the ruck. 80/20

Dean and Moore covering the 2 KPF with Frampton working as the intercept defender. Howe also coming on to help out in this role.

Lots of run with IQ, NDaicos and Noble off the bench in defence.

Crazy defensive pressure in the forward line with McCreery, Hill and Elliott.
Not to mention tall forwards which can also apply excellent pressure for their height.

Who are the first out with a handful of new recruits- I’m thinking ( just an opinion don’t stress )

Noble
Johnson
Ginn
Bianco
McCreery
WHE
Murphy ( maybe )
Either one of Cox or Cameron

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
If everyone is fit. Bianco for Hill, one of the rucks for McStay, Murphy (if Frampton is good). I think one of Kreuger/Johnson will play and one miss out. No idea who for Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back