Preview 2023 Round 11 – Geelong vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 27, 4.35pm, GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Just my luck to write this week’s preview.

At least the game against the Saints was winnable. We were in it right up until the last quarter. Losing Haynes and Himmelberg to concussion didn’t help but we fought it out. Hope they’re both OK but we won’t have them back this week.

If you thought our odds against Collingwood were worth a flutter, check out what we’re paying for a win against Geelong on Saturday. Might be worth a look if you’ve got a spare hundred dollars lying around.

I still have nightmarish memories of the Cattery. I was there for that “non-AFL standard" performance in 2018, and felt flatter than a steamrollered pancake on the way out. But here’s a fun statistic – two of our four wins against the Cats have been on their turf. The other two were at Manuka and Homebush.

Geelong haven’t been in their best form lately, losing the last two matches to Fremantle and the Tigers by 4-5 goals. They might be a bit tired after returning from Perth but we shouldn’t pin our hopes on that. JC had an off day against the Dockers only scoring four behinds and will be looking to bounce back at home. This could get very ugly without our best defenders.

I think Briggs should stay on as ruck for the time being. He seemed to bring a bit more zip than Flynn and had a good all-round game. Ward will get a start for sure rather being the sub. We’ll probably have to bring Lloyd or Rowston back but there’s really no direct replacements for Haynes or Himmelberg.

As we’re short defenders, surely the opportunity for Josh Fahey to debut has arrived. He played a blinder in the VFL against Sandringham today with 42 disposals.

We’re not a finals side this season. It’s one week at a time, persisting with the game plan, and accounting for your man.

And if you believe in miracles, contact your local bookie.

Last edited:
Geelong are overwhelming favourites at $1.14. We are currently $5.75. Hard to see us winning at the Cattery, especially with the defending champions looking to bounce back and make a statement after 2 consecutive losses.

Last edited:
Geelong our overwhelming favourites at $1.14. We are currently $5.75. Hard to see us winning at the Cattery, especially with the defending champions looking to bounce back and make a statement after 2 consecutive losses.
Their midfield is missing some important pieces.
I think ( off the top of my head) with Danger and Duncan in the team they are 5-0 this season, 0-5 without them both.

With Haynes and Himmelberg out we're going to have to put together a makeshift defensive unit.

Buckley, Whitfield, Ash, Fleeton. Fahey surely comes in. And either Keefe or Davis as the tall.

What do we do with Cadman? With his terrible goal kicking form atm and Derksen knocking on the door with his VFL form, I think it's likely we may see a like for like swap here.

With Haynes and Himmelberg out we're going to have to put together a makeshift defensive unit.

Buckley, Whitfield, Ash, Fleeton. Fahey surely comes in. And either Keefe or Davis as the tall.

What do we do with Cadman? With his terrible goal kicking form atm and Derksen knocking on the door with his VFL form, I think it's likely we may see a like for like swap here.

I agree. Or hasn't riccardi played back? We could put him back, include Derksen and/ or Flynn.
I think Cadman will benefit enormously from VFL.
I think as an example Ben King played about 10 VFL games before debuting in AFL.

I think Davis and Keeffe are still under-done in terms of form and game time. Also if a greater priority for selectors is building a team for the future, rather than more immediately winning as many games as possible, it would seem less likely.

Hawkins and Cameron will have a field day.
I don't think I can watch this game. Hawkins has always annoyed me, but every time I see Jezza in Geelong colours I have to turn off the TV.

I think Davis and Keeffe are still under-done in terms of form and game time. Also if a greater priority for selectors is building a team for the future, rather than more immediately winning as many games as possible, it would seem less likely.
I think it's clear that getting games into the next generation team is a priority - especially now that finals isn't happening.
At least it will give the list management people an idea of who is and who isn't in the future plans.

Riccardi is turning into last year's Brander...
Hogan had the ball deep in the forward pocket and Riccardi was free near the goal square.
A bloke in the stand shouted "don't kick it to him!" and got a few laughs because we all knew who he was talking about.

I think it's clear that getting games into the next generation team is a priority - especially now that finals isn't happening.
At least it will give the list management people an idea of who is and who isn't in the future plans.
I think the glass is half full and we still have a shot at the finals. I expect us to lose to Geelong in Geelong, but after that I think we can beat Richmond (at Giants stadium), Norths and then Fremantle (at Giants stadium). That will take us to 6-8 before the bye and still in contention for the finals depending on other results.

Sporting News
Sporting News
Follow

AFL Injury List 2023: Carnage at GWS-St Kilda clash as stars go down​

GWS injury list​

NameInjuryEstimated Return
Leek AleerQuad2 weeks
Isaac CummingCalf5 weeks
Cooper HamiltonFootTBC
Nick HaynesConcussionTBC
Harry HimmelbergConcussionTBC
Darcy JonesACL2024
Adam KennedyACL2024
Braydon PreussBackTBC
Conor StoneBack2-3 weeks
Sam TaylorHamstring7 weeks
Jacob WehrShoulder2-3 weeks

Attachments

• 1684764347764.png
    1684764347764.png
    68 bytes · Views: 19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sporting News
Sporting News
Follow

AFL Injury List 2023: Carnage at GWS-St Kilda clash as stars go down​

GWS injury list​

NameInjuryEstimated Return
Leek AleerQuad2 weeks
Isaac CummingCalf5 weeks
Cooper HamiltonFootTBC
Nick HaynesConcussionTBC
Harry HimmelbergConcussionTBC
Darcy JonesACL2024
Adam KennedyACL2024
Braydon PreussBackTBC
Conor StoneBack2-3 weeks
Sam TaylorHamstring7 weeks
Jacob WehrShoulder2-3 weeks
Presuming they have just added Haynes and Himmelberg with TBC

as the others are the same estimated return as last week's rehab report.

Hopefully Leek isn't too far away with his quad.

I thought Haynes did a leg. I guess concussion is better than that in concrete terms. Does explain why he looked a bit detached at the end of the game when he gave my girl the signed ball, I just thought it was disappointment at injury again plus the loss.

Wouldn't have picked Haynes being concussed at the game.

The way he left the field down the race with his right arm dead-straight and not moving, everyone around me thought he'd done shoulder damage.

I think the glass is half full and we still have a shot at the finals. I expect us to lose to Geelong in Geelong, but after that I think we can beat Richmond (at Giants stadium), Norths and then Fremantle (at Giants stadium). That will take us to 6-8 before the bye and still in contention for the finals depending on other results.
Can I borrow those glasses you’re wearing?

Some limited options to replace a raft of injuries: Kelly, Himmelberg & Haynes (with Davis also injured so unavailable to backfill a KPD spot). No-one coming off the injury list either.

Also, does one or both of Derksen and Fahey finally get a run? You would think that with HH out (although he was played as a KPD) and Cadman still quite limited in production that it's the perfect opportunity to try Derksen. He can also perform as secondary ruck.

With Kelly out, do we go with Ward or Rowston to come in, or do we give Fahey an opportunity? Even potentially throwing Whitfield into a wing role to ty and work through some of his current issues (although he was a bit better last week, but still tentative with his kicking)?

I think Fahey deserves a go. He has been playing very well in the VFL and with all our injuries, this is a good time to give him a go. Fahey was selected in the 2021 draft and has been waiting a long time to debut.

Derkson in for Cadman. He can chip on the ruck.
Keefe likely the strongest to take on Hawkins or Riccardo to go back in defence (has dominated at vfl level down back before)
Fahey must come in
Cal in, Rowston the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Big chance of an upset. Geelong are missing Guthrie, Dangerfield, Duncan and Holmes from the midfield. Expect to see a VFL level midfield run out with Blicavs, Ceglar, Atkins, Bruhn, Parfitt. I can't see how Geelong will win it 9 best 22 players unavailable and their backups injured as well.

Max Holmes Knee
Jack Bowes Calf
Jhye Clark Foot
Toby Conway Foot
Patrick Dangerfield Hamstring
Sam De Koning Face
Mitch Duncan Hamstring
Cam Guthrie Toe
Ollie Henry Testicle
Flynn Kroeger Knee
Sam Menegola Knee
Gary Rohan Hamstring
Rhys Stanley Eye socket

We have also won the last two games we have played against Geelong in Geelong, albeit they were in 2019 and 2021.

The Cats are potentially getting 3/4 players to return. Hopefully they can’t get them in this week

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back