Autopsy 2023 Round 11 – Geelong vs GWS Giants, Saturday May 27, 4.35pm, GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished watching the replay. That's easily the best game I've seen from Idun, just a very complete game both defensively and offensively where he can be prone to biting off more than he can chew on either.

Finished watching the replay. That's easily the best game I've seen from Idun, just a very complete game both defensively and offensively where he can be prone to biting off more than he can chew on either.

He has become such a nice dependable player down back. No fuss. He seems so tight with the other young backs too.

Coaches votes. Interesting compared to how we viewed the best players:

Geelong v Greater Western Sydney​

9 Toby Greene (GWS)
6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
6 Connor Idun (GWS)
5 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Harry Perryman (GWS)
2 Brent Daniels (GWS)

The Key Takeaway: The Giants don’t fear GMHBA Stadium

Many teams haven’t won three games at Kardinia Park in the last decade let alone win three games in a row. The Giants had injuries to Harry Himmelberg, Josh Kelly and Nick Haynes yet never looked like losing against the reigning premiers. GWS also didn’t rely on Toby Greene after half-time and the team had several contributors to yet another famous win in Geelong.

The positive: Kieren Briggs

Kieren Briggs easily won the ruck battle against two experienced campaigners in Jonathon Ceglar and Mark Blicavs. Briggs had 34 hitouts including 17 touches, eight clearances, five tackles, three inside-50’s, two score involvements and an excellent set shot goal in the third quarter. The most complete game of his career.

The overreaction: GWS have one of the best backlines in the AFL

It may lack the big names of some other backlines but GWS have quietly built a back six that kept a forward line consisting of Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins, Tyson Stengle and Brad Close to 10 goals. Connor Idun had one of the best games of his 50-game career and Jack Buckley and Xavier O’Halloran have excelled this season under new coach Adam Kinglsey. The Giants now have a core group of defenders they can build their future around.

Charles Goodsir

Coaches votes. Interesting compared to how we viewed the best players:

Geelong v Greater Western Sydney​

9 Toby Greene (GWS)
6 Lachie Whitfield (GWS)
6 Connor Idun (GWS)
5 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Harry Perryman (GWS)
2 Brent Daniels (GWS)
One of the coaches had either Lachie Whitfield or Idun as best on .
Thought both were really good but that surprises me.
As does Perryman.

One of the coaches had either Lachie Whitfield or Idun as best on .
Thought both were really good but that surprises me.
As does Perryman.
Yep, those were my takeaways too.

(P.S. The numbers allow that Tom Stewart could have been deemed "best on ground" by one coach and not given a vote by the other.)

Yep, those were my takeaways too.

(P.S. The numbers allow that Tom Stewart could have been deemed "best on ground" by one coach and not given a vote by the other.)
Actually that is very likely looking at the rest of the votes.
It's almost more surprising that one of the coaches didn't have Stewart in the votes if that is the case.
Very surprised all round really

Actually that is very likely looking at the rest of the votes.
It's almost more surprising that one of the coaches didn't have Stewart in the votes if that is the case.
Very surprised all round really
I can understand the high votes for Toby compared to Daniels as Toby’s 200th game would have drawn a lot of focus and created a “halo effect”. But very surprised that Daniels was not in the top 3 at least.

I can understand the high votes for Toby compared to Daniels as Toby’s 200th game would have drawn a lot of focus and created a “halo effect”. But very surprised that Daniels was not in the top 3 at least.
I thought Toby, Binga and Stewart were a clear top 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the coaches vote had Toby, Whitfield and Idun as the top 3 with Stewart a close fourth. Bings was a distant equal 5th?
I was saying how I saw it, the coaches saw it differently to me, with the top 3 as you have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back