Autopsy 2023 Round 12 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Sunday, June 4, 1.10PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We can't pick players not ready for AFL. It is embarrassing. Would loved to have had Bailey Hunphrey today.
Yes we can, we aren't playing for a premiership this year. We are rebuilding and the most important thing for the club to do is get games into our young players. The quicker we can get those players to 50 games the better our list will be in 2 years time.

We can't pick players not ready for AFL. It is embarrassing. Would loved to have had Bailey Hunphrey today.
Wouldn’t we all.

Oh wait, we do!

Commiserations on the loss today.
Hoping you got up.
Good to see Briggs taking his place. Always wondered why he wasn’t getting a look in.

I was at the game, so don't actually know as much as if I had watched on TV. Did we look crap, or Richmond good, or both of us crap?

Also we should have traded last year. 7 for 12,19.
Anyway, how high did you rate Bailey Humphrey before you drafted him?
Behind only Sheezel, Wardlaw and Ashcroft?
Or ahead of one/ both of Wardlaw/Sheezel.

Lots to like about how we played:
  • Did win inside 50’s 70-47. They were far more efficient in 50. Resulting players getting out the back.
  • Some of our pressure acts were incredible. The mosquito fleet of Bedford, XOH, Binga etc is huge upside.
  • Loss of Binga REALLY hurt. Hope it’s not serious, love this guy.
  • Bedford just wow!!! Pressure and tackling off the charts
  • uncharacteristically out marked in defensive 50 (Buckley and Okeefe caught out a bit).
  • Orange tsunami was incredible to see and reminds me of 2016!
  • Just lack polish from a few (Ash, Brown)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wouldn’t we all.

Oh wait, we do!

Commiserations on the loss today.
Hoping you got up.
Good to see Briggs taking his place. Always wondered why he wasn’t getting a look in.
Frustrating loss, expected to win that one after last week’s performance.

Briggs really making the most of his opportunity, would love to see him extend for a couple more seasons and stamp himself as our clear first choice.

Two touches for Cadman, just can’t get involved and doesn’t look up to standard at this stage of his career.

Jesse and Riccardi had moments but hard to imagine we’ll ever be a serious threat with these two as our 1&2 KPFs.

Lloyd has always been a depth player who plays a lot because of our injury woes. Seems to have lost his knack for kicking a goal and offers little else.

Hope the injury to Daniels isn’t too severe, he’s such a live wire out there.
Maybe Nate Caddy will be available at our first round pick this year. We need kpf depth/ quality, especially if Himmelberg goes.

Flynn in for Keeffe. Play the resting ruckman in the forward pocket (Matt kicked two goals in the VFL playing forward with Madden rucking). Have Jesse playing as the leading forward with Briggs/Flynn closer to goal.
With you other than this. I don't think Flynn brings as much forward compared to even Riccardi, and if we drop Keeffe we do need to bring in another defender - not a forward.

With you other than this. I don't think Flynn brings as much forward compared to even Riccardi, and if we drop Keeffe we do need to bring in another defender - not a forward.
I mused that Himmelberg goes back to replace Keeffe, which as you correctly say meant a forward to replace H.H. The idea was to try something new for a tall forward, because Riccardi is so inconsistent. With him it is probably too tall a forward line, Ruckman/Hogan/Derksen/Riccardi; I really want Riccardi to make the jump to reliable KPF as he has by now been around long enough and has occasionally shown flashes, but I doubt he will. Cadman just needs a few years but this year and next whilst we rebuild maybe we could move the chess pieces to see what works. At the start of last year not many would have said H.H as a key back.

If we had not have traded for #1, we could have gone Humphrey with pick #3 (#4 after Ashcroft bid/match) and Jefferson with pick #12 to still get a KPD (although Jefferson was rated lower than Cadman).

Or, as you said, #12 & #19 to GCS for #7, who could have used one of those to grease the Jack Bowes trade. A chance that Cadman would have been there at #7. And if gone, could likely probably have traded back to get Jefferson without using #7.

But, we have what we have, until the next draft!

Kingsley’s post match. Happy generally with the game but thought we allowed them to score freely. Pleased with Briggs and Tom Green, with the hamstring injury of Daniels in the other leg to his previous injury. Said Toby was carrying some niggling injury but was ok with this. The team will be doing more defensive work before the Norths match.

Tigers shouldn't have scored the last goal, but then again Swans should have stopped tobys last goal.
Across the 2 games, we have turned a loss and a draw into a win and loss. Overall, that's OK.

9,723 crowd. Just missed 10k

The crowds have been awful this year. Thought 12,000 was on the cards today given the big Richmond contingent.

I'm quite heartened at today's turn out, the trend is up (bar the dip in the Saints game).

We'll crack the 10k mark soon enough and hopefully continue trending up (especially if we bring the atmosphere of today, it'll draw in a crowd).

AFL has slotted in our remaining home games on Saturday which is apparently the best day for us so we'll see how we go. We had a lower margin to rise from compared to other teams due external factors which impacted us given we don't have the generational followings of other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers shouldn't have scored the last goal, but then again Swans should have stopped tobys last goal.
Across the 2 games, we have turned a loss and a draw into a win and loss. Overall, that's OK.
Other than the Collingwood loss, all our results have been close. As the team learns the Kingsley system and gains experience, we will be able to win a far more proportion of these close games

I mused that Himmelberg goes back to replace Keeffe, which as you correctly say meant a forward to replace H.H.

Harry is already playing down back though... Our talls up forward are currently Hogan, Cadman (who you've replaced with Derkson), and Riccardi (as backup ruck). You would need to drop one of them to bring in Flynn, or two if Harry moves back forward when Haynes returns.

I'm quite heartened at today's turn out, the trend is up (bar the dip in the Saints game).

We'll crack the 10k mark soon enough and hopefully continue trending up (especially if we bring the atmosphere of today, it'll draw in a crowd).

AFL has slotted in our remaining home games on Saturday which is apparently the best day for us so we'll see how we go. We had a lower margin to rise from compared to other teams due external factors which impacted us given we don't have the generational followings of other teams.
We have 5 more home games:
  • Based on the attendances against Carlton and Richmond, I don’t think we will get 10k against Fremantle for our next home match at Giants Stadium.
  • However, we will definitely crack the 10k for the Swans derby!.
  • Whilst we cracked 10k in both our Manuka home matches, it’s unlikely we will exceed 10k against lower drawing Gold Coast for our third and final match in Manuka which will be played on a Sunday.
  • I am optimistic that we will reach 10k for both the Hawthorn and Essendon home games, especially as the former is a designated Recruits game for kids.

We have 5 more home games:
  • Based on the attendances against Carlton and Richmond, I don’t think we will get 10k against Fremantle for our next home match at Giants Stadium.
  • However, we will definitely crack the 10k for the Swans derby!.
  • Whilst we cracked 10k in both our Manuka home matches, it’s unlikely we will exceed 10k against lower drawing Gold Coast for our third and final match in Manuka which will be played on a Sunday.
  • I am optimistic that we will reach 10k for both the Hawthorn and Essendon home games, especially as the former is a designated Recruits game for kids.

I agree with the Freo game. Though, given that it's on a Saturday I'm happy to be surprised..

This is my second Giants home game ever (4th AFL in person game) after attending my first AFL game in March in Melbourne at the G when a mate took me to a Collingwood game (after many years trying to take me to an AFL game).

I'll be bringing a following fluctuating between 2-3,4, expanding to 7 to or 8.. That's just from me attending and inviting friends/family.

My mother who has never really been into sports (aside from soccer occasionally during the world cup) loves it. My family who is into NRL bought their son a Giants Guernsey today after they attended their first AFL game and the kids loved it and will be coming to other games where they can.

I am but one new fan (one who has never really been into following sports) - If everyone manages to get friends and family to come along who end up enjoying it, it won't take long to recover our numbers from their previous peaks of previous seasons.

Harry is already playing down back though... Our talls up forward are currently Hogan, Cadman (who you've replaced with Derkson), and Riccardi (as backup ruck). You would need to drop one of them to bring in Flynn, or two if Harry moves back forward when Haynes returns.
I earlier had Haynes in for Brown. A ruckman for Riccardi if the spare is rested as a forward, otherwsie off the bench is an alternative but that screws around with interchanges and other team balance issues. The core problem, is Riccardi a consistent KPF going forward. The one that turned up in Gelong definitely. But I'm not sure; Hogan is a set, I want to see how Derksen performs and Cadman will probably be in and out at times as he develops?

Interesting split on the coaches' votes for this game. For GWS, the only votes went to Cal & Tom:

Greater Western Sydney v Richmond​

7 Jack Riewoldt (RICH)
5 Shai Bolton (RICH)
5 Tim Taranto (RICH)
5 Callan Ward (GWS)
5 Noah Balta (RICH)
3 Tom Green (GWS)

Hogan muffed his easy set shot, but delivery to him was generally sh@thouse. Either on his head or to the advantage of Balta. Compared to Jack Riewoldt getting low, quick hit ups and made him nearly impossible to beat on a lead.

Last edited:
Hogan muffed his easy set shot, but delivery to him was generally sh@thouse. Either on his head or to the advantage of Balta. Compared to Jack Riewoldt getting low, quick hit ups and made him nearly impossible to beat on a lead.
To be fair three of the marks Jack took were from mongrel floaters

Sen’s review of the round.

GWS GIANTS club banner

The Key Takeaway: The Giants leaked too many points

The Giants had a remarkable 70 inside 50s compared to Richmond’s 47 yet had one less scoring shot and lost by a straight kick. GWS’ efficiency inside-50 was 42.9 per cent once the final siren was gone and once again, it was Toby Greene who led the way with three goals.

On the other end, Richmond had a 66 per cent efficiency when they went forward and capitalised on their limited chances. After lauding the defence of the Giants in recent weeks, they had a poor afternoon which ultimately led to a heartbreaking loss.

The positive: Tackling pressure

Despite having more of the ball than the Tigers, GWS soundly beat Richmond in the tackle count 75-55 including 20 tackles inside 50.

The Giants’ best performances this season have come when they lay 60+ tackles in a match.

The negative: The one that got away

After trailing for 114 minutes, GWS hit the front with just three minutes left courtesy of a scrappy goal through Kieren Briggs.

From there, the Giants needed to find a way to hold on to the lead but conceded a goal almost immediately from the centre bounce and in the final two minutes, Daniel Lloyd went down the line rather than hit Tom Green or Stephen Coniglio who were free in the corridor.

I was at the game, so don't actually know as much as if I had watched on TV. Did we look crap, or Richmond good, or both of us crap?

Behind only Sheezel, Wardlaw and Ashcroft?
Or ahead of one/ both of Wardlaw/Sheezel.
Are you talking to me?
I don’t watch the kids directly.so don’t really have a personal rankings.
No idea what our recruiters rankings might have been.

Agree we could have done something like you suggest above with bowes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back