Autopsy 2023 Round 12 – GWS Giants vs Richmond, Sunday, June 4, 1.10PM AEST, @Giants Stadium

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Can blame anything from umps to certain decisions but we should have been more accurate. Game was there to be had but when we miss so many gettable set shots, it's supposed to hurt.

So many passengers, I agree.

Lloyd was always vanilla but good enough with his leg to play a role and his leg has dropped off.

Keeffe is a disaster. I have to assume we brought him in to take Ryan but every time Ryan went into the ruck we just leaked goals to whoever he was on.

Callum Brown is a freak athlete but the only time he has a football thought in his head is when he headbutts the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing him as the forward/ruck though, let him jump over the opposition ruck and stress poor defenders.

Riccardi is still too self-centred to play a role if he's not the star, and he's not good enough to be a star.

Ward, I love seeing out there but it makes us too one paced at centre bounces which Richmond destroyed us with. We need to rotate him in there from a wing or the forward line, not start with him in there.

We need Perryman back in the middle, he was fantastic there and he looks like he's lost defensive mojo.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Poor first quarter
poor start to the third
some horrible inaccuracies in front of goal
too many times we let them move it the length of the field with no pressure.

other than that, we nearly (probably should have) pinched it - which was good

still sucks though.

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Some thoughts having been at a rather chilly Homebush:

Lloyd is an emergency and no more nowadays. His kicking has gone kaput.
Brown had a good game but his turnovers were costly.
Hogan often achieves the difficult, but the easy is muffed time and time again. Very frustrating.
Ash panicked as usual at the slightest pressure. Unfortunately that outweighs the good he brings to the side. Out for Haynes next week.
Fahey kicked a superb first goal, but kicked directly to the opposition (twice by memory). Felt sorry for him having to defend close to goal.
Buckley marked and rebounded well. Had plenty kicked on him but that was more the backline structure than his fault directly.
The midfield needs to work harder and smarter. Far too many times they were beaten on the defensive side of the square.
Cannot overstate the impact of losing Daniels. The zip around the F50 and crumbing closer to goal was needed as the bigger blokes tired.

Overall, when the Giants click, they are awesome, but far too often it's the lack of polish and being too frantic to keep the ball alive.

e.g. XOH dived to keep the ball in play on the broadcast side. Problem with that is his direct opponent stayed infield. He takes himself out of the contest.

How many times did the Tigers immediately respond to a Giants goal? The path to goal for them always seemed so much easier.

Another so near but yet so far game.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Is it time to think about handing a debut to Toby McMullin up front? We will miss Binga's zip and pressure; can McMullin provide some of that? I agree with posters saying that Peatling tries hard but lacks polish (had a number of chances now), and Lloyd is getting to his use-by date as his leg deteriorates. Continuing with either isn't a long-term solution, so do we give the McMuffin Man a shot? [Not least of which will be confusion in the opposition team when the cry goes up "kick it to Toby!"]

Similarly, as I've said for a few weeks now, time to put Cadman back to VFL to consolidate what he's learned. However, given it's North next, I would not be surprised if we left him in to see if he can manage a few more possessions to get his confidence up. Conversely, it would be a good opportunity to blood Derksen or Gruzewski. Whilst I think Cadman will still be fine in the long run, he's just not contributing enough at the moment.

Adam Giant

Senior List
May 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Frustrating loss, expected to win that one after last week’s performance.

Briggs really making the most of his opportunity, would love to see him extend for a couple more seasons and stamp himself as our clear first choice.

Two touches for Cadman, just can’t get involved and doesn’t look up to standard at this stage of his career.

Jesse and Riccardi had moments but hard to imagine we’ll ever be a serious threat with these two as our 1&2 KPFs.

Lloyd has always been a depth player who plays a lot because of our injury woes. Seems to have lost his knack for kicking a goal and offers little else.

Hope the injury to Daniels isn’t too severe, he’s such a live wire out there.

MelbourneGWS

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
The crowds have been awful this year. Thought 12,000 was on the cards today given the big Richmond contingent.
True. I actually also expected more than 10k given it was Richmond and we said a mate could get in for free with a paying member. At least it was the biggest crowd at Giants Stadium this year. Even though both the crowds at the Manuka matches were more than 10k, they were only just over.

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
The trend is good. The best teams bring pressure and performance consistently and we are not there yet; young team, new coach and system etc. But if the effort stays the results will come.

The balance is in developing the team, giving young players ago, rewarding performance without unduly undermining confidence; God I sound like Chapter One in 'Coach's cliches'. But I would like to suggest that some older players are probably not going to contribute much in wins or losses and some new ideas might be worthwhile:
  • Whilst Taylor is out play Himmelberg back, he does his best work there.
  • Haynes in for Brown; the latter is a great athlete but by now he should have developed some enough football smarts.
  • McMullen and Rowston in for Daniels and Lloyd. The youngsters to bring as much forward pressure as possible and hopefully kick goals.
  • Derksen for Cadman. The former has earned his chance and the latter somewhat needs to find his mojo and the ball.
  • Flynn in for Keeffe. Play the resting ruckman in the forward pocket (Matt kicked two goals in the VFL playing forward with Madden rucking). Have Jesse playing as the leading forward with Briggs/Flynn closer to goal.

Back