Autopsy 2023 Scratch Match v Essendon @ Austworld Centre Oval (Thurs, 23 Feb, 4:00pm AEST)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Here we go!

Less than a month to go until our first hit out against AFL opposition. No confirmation as to whether it's the 23rd or 24th of Feb or what time it will take place but I'm sure that information will become available soon. Either way, I'm pumped! Can't wait to see how our boys go in this game and all the different combinations Dewy tries.

The biggest question I have is... will we see the return of the King in this match?

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Here we go!

Less than a month to go until our first hit out against AFL opposition. No confirmation as to whether it's the 23rd or 24th of Feb or what time it will take place but I'm sure that information will become available soon. Either way, I'm pumped! Can't wait to see how our boys go in this game and all the different combinations Dewy tries.

The biggest question I have is... will we see the return of the King in this match?
I doubt King plays personally
I want to see whether Mac Andrew will play.

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I doubt King plays but think he probably should. He will take a bit of time to get that confidence back and the more he plays the better. Even if he just plays a half I think it would help him come Rd 1. Keen to see Humphrey, uwland and improvement in guys like hollands and Flanders in this one. Give witts the game off and see what Moyle has got also.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Essendon have close to a fully fit list and will take "upwards of 35 players" to Queensland for the hit-out with the Suns.

James Stewart (foot), Zach Reid (back), Matt Guelfi (calf), Nik Cox (back) and No.5 draft pick Elijah Tsatas (knee) have all been ruled out.

But match-winner Jake Stringer is "pain free" and available after overcoming groin issues that plagued him last season.

Best-and-fairest winner Peter Wright had a calf injury but is also likely to play against Gold Coast.

Stringer and Wright both trained with the main group on Friday in Bendigo, where the Bombers have been on a community camp this week.

Flying 35 players here tells me Essendon will be trialing lots of different combinations throughout our match with them. Considering the last time we played Essendon they essentially ended our final aspirations and we failed to fire a shot for the entire match, I'd like to see us belt them in this game.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Flying 35 players here tells me Essendon will be trialing lots of different combinations throughout our match with them. Considering the last time we played Essendon they essentially ended our final aspirations and we failed to fire a shot for the entire match, I'd like to see us belt them in this game.
We play them in Round 2 so it will be interesting to see what approach Dew takes.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My predicted practice match starting line up

Lemmens Collins Farrar
Long Ballard Ellis
Hollands Miller Sharp
Ainsworth Chol Lukosius
Rosas King Holman

Witts Anderson Rowell

Jeffrey Flanders Swallow Davies
s) Humphrey

Weller not considered.
Would swap him and Sharp if he's fit.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Lemmens Collins Farrar
Long Ballard Ellis
Hollands Miller Sharp
Ainsworth Chol Lukosius
Rosas King Holman

Witts Anderson Rowell

s) Humphrey

Weller not considered.
Looking good as a starting line-up.

It would not surprise me we start with Collins, Ballard and Graham together. In that case Ellis replaces Sharp on the wing for me (Sharp out).

I suspect most healthy players will probably get opportunity in this practice match.

Last edited:

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Lemmens Collins Farrar
Long Ballard Ellis
Hollands Miller Sharp
Ainsworth Chol Lukosius
Rosas King Holman

Witts Anderson Rowell

s) Humphrey

Weller not considered.
Looks like a line up that may roll out in the gws game, but against essendon we will see guys like uwland, blakely, j. Anderson, stein, moyle get to show what they can do. Boys will be keen to impress though, limited spots available.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Looks like a line up that may roll out in the gws game, but against essendon we will see guys like uwland, blakely, j. Anderson, stein, moyle get to show what they can do. Boys will be keen to impress though, limited spots available.
I think they’ll start with the A team but cycle through guys pretty quickly.

King, chol, Ainsworth, Holman, Ellis, Miller, anderson, rowell, Witt’s, Ballard, collins the only round 1 locks IMO.

the others fighting for spots.

Edit: forgot swallow + luksoius - both locks

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think they’ll start with the A team but cycle through guys pretty quickly.

King, chol, Ainsworth, Holman, Ellis, Miller, anderson, rowell, Witt’s, Ballard, collins the only round 1 locks IMO.

the others fighting for spots.

Edit: forgot swallow - lock
4 more locks for me - Luko, Swallow, Lemmens, Long.

Cheifkeith95

Sam Collins appreciator
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Will this be streamed, I need fix hard
Theyres only so much tennis a man can watch
dave chappelle drugs GIF

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Super keen to watch some half proper footy Thursday! Top 3 things I'll be hoping to see.
-Bailey Humphrey
  • big improvement from hollands, Flanders, Davies.
  • Rowell bursting from stoppage and looking 100% injury free.
It's just first practice, a lot of line-up shuffling. I expect sloppy crap footy. Players fighting for spots should show intensity. Priority #1 - stay healthy.

Southern Sun

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It's just first practice, a lot of line-up shuffling. I expect sloppy crap footy. Players fighting for spots should show intensity. Priority #1 - stay healthy.
Yeah not expecting perfect footy but it's footy and I've missed it, especially after watching the rubbish the Aussies served up in India today. Done with cricket bring on the footy! Agree, no injuries please🙏

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Just want 0 major injuries. Happy for the squad to rotate around.

I wanna see something from the new recruits, a strong tackle, a goal, anything..

Our game will be heavily watched for all the Charlie Constable fanboys

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Will this be streamed, I need fix hard
Theyres only so much tennis a man can watch
dave chappelle drugs GIF

THE AFL is pleased to confirm that all match simulation and practice matches will be streamed live on Kayo Sports and broadcast on Foxtel.

The eight match simulations will be conducted between February 23-24, with the format, number of players, game length and number of breaks determined by the competing teams.

All 18 clubs will compete in one official practice match between March 2-4 with the format and game length replicating Toyota AFL Premiership Season matches.

Fans will have free entry to all practice matches.

Back