2023 Season Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie_Sandbrah

Team Captain
Sep 6, 2023
AFL Club
West Coast
Tough season. Worst ever results wise. Tough to watch. It's pretty much over. A few delistings to come.

How do you feel about the whole thing? Now that it's over, would you prefer the spoon or 12th?

I can explain mine in pictures:

1694604347511.png

Very tough year. The lows were as low as I have ever felt as a supporter. Still watched every game. I guess the difference between 2022 and 2023 for me was, that we had some talented youngsters worth tuning in for.

Hewett, Ginbey, Long and Maric all exceeded expectation in their first year in my opinion. Chesser in his first real year was probably over exposed, however at times showed he could be a good player.

Looking forward to that young group plus Hough, Bazzo, Barnett, Burgeil, Culley all hopefully having an injury interrupted pre season and all showing progression in 2024.

Was pretty upbeat early in the season as we had a pretty good run injury wise. After a terrible start against NM we came back from 40 points down and almost won, then had a great win vs GWS.

Then the disastrous derby in a game we were playing well. The aftermath meant we were down pretty much 8 players best 22 to reasonably long term injuries.

From that point i knew the season was a right off and so it proved to be.

• Banned
I don't think we'll be as bad as last year, but I think the challenge will be dealing with negative thoughts such, "when is this losing going to end".

It was a character-building shitshow, really. I first started watching footy in 1990 and didn't truly understand sucking until the Judge years. Sitting through garbage like that and our post-crack era made years like 2018 all the sweeter, and so ìt shall be again.

Loved watching the kids this year too. This is trite af, but watching Hewett and Ginbey made me think of Paul Kelly's 'Bradman': "In the hour of greatest darkness, the great avenger was being born." We'll no doubt suck in 2024, but I truly believe we've got something brewing that'll astonish the dingbat pundits who've written us off for the rest of the decade.

Tough season. Worst ever results wise. Tough to watch. It's pretty much over. A few delistings to come.

How do you feel about the whole thing? Now that it's over, would you prefer the spoon or 12th?

I can explain mine in pictures:

View attachment 1802239
I honestly haven't watched an Eagles game since the Brisbane loss at the end of 2021. Judging by how the Judge era went down, I wouldn't expect the club to be down for too long

Weirdly enjoyed this season. Last season was worse to me. Sure, we got spanked harder this season when we did get spanked. But.... I saw some good signs in several games. Vs Collingwood, St. Kilda, Essendon, Bulldogs. I saw some kids come into the team and this is the start of a new era. We even won more games this season than last.

I always felt, even when teams smashed us, I've seen worse performances from better sides with more to play for. One sided thumpings that we're not up for stopping will happen while we churn out the crud, develop the young blokes and hopefully have less crippling injuries to senior guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back