Training 2023 Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I had presumed when we got Corbett that it was for actually for the wing as well as obviously being half forward depth. All the talk was him being GC's best runner, decent height and a strong mark. Figured the club might've been looking at him as a potential Acres replacement.

I had presumed when we got Corbett that it was for actually for the wing as well as obviously being half forward depth. All the talk was him being GC's best runner, decent height and a strong mark. Figured the club might've been looking at him as a potential Acres replacement.
Yeah. Hasn't really seemed to have been a consideration.

I don't see Banfield and Corbett competing for the same position. Corbett is a very different player to Walters, Switta, Freddy, Schultz and Banfield imo.
I see Corbett as back up for Fyfe, that big bodied medium forward, he seems to lack the contested ball winning ability of Fyfe though.
Feels like we definitely wanted to bolster our medium forward stocks with acquisitions of both Corbett and Emmett plus Stubbs as a train on for most of the summer.
It’s a pity we didn’t get to see more of Corbett and Emmett over the preseason however they are clearly behind Fyfe and Sturt at this point, which is good for our team if not for them personally, as it means we’ve seen significant improvement in both Fyfe and Sturts’ performance.

Last edited:
Corbett would be the one running up to the wing for a mark instead of us committing a tall forward to that, allowing them to remain deeper for the next kick. That's where Sturt gets pushed off the ball because the win you get by forcing a stoppage there compared to the loss should that mark turn into 100m of ball movement is too high to not plan your key back to cover that kick out.

I see Corbett as a good piece of recruiting. We needed the forward depth and he appears to be a good clubman. Who'd have thought we would be preparing for the season with Corbett looking like he's surplus to requirements!
yeah exactly when we picked him up sturt had all but been written off by most, hes now shown a bit of ticker so corbett has dropped back a bit, but whos to say things wont change through the season and going forward? maybe fyfe as a forward doesnt work out or tabs picks up another injury, having a decent mature forward is a good thing, no point writing him off now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So both Treacy and Sturt are in the 26?
Have to be one or the other in the final 23, you'd think. Assuming that Davies and one of Walker and Willo (probably the latter) are cut, which would take it to 24, and given that we'd have to choose at least one of Hughes and Henry, and one of Treacy and Sturt, with one of the two unsuccessfuls preparing for only a quarter of football. Then again, could be both Hughes and Henry (leaving Freddy forward full-time) with one of Treacy and Sturt being the sub.

Have to be one or the other in the final 23, you'd think. Assuming that Davies and one of Walker and Willo (probably the latter) are cut, which would take it to 24, and given that we'd have to choose at least one of Hughes and Henry, and one of Treacy and Sturt, with one of the two unsuccessfuls preparing for only a quarter of football. Then again, could be both Hughes and Henry (leaving Freddy forward full-time) with one of Treacy and Sturt being the sub.
I think we'll choose both Hughes and Henry in the 22 as NOD is out.
I assume the sub will come down to either Wilson or Banfield. Sturt in the 22 and Treacy to miss out altogether

Remove this Banner Ad

Back