State Focus 2023 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
I was going to start this thread a few days ago, but then I got distracted. But that may have been for the best since SA ended up naming their squad for the U18 Champs yesterday, so now I can just post that rather than take a guess....

U18 Championships Squad

And we also have some preseason testing numbers to have a look through too.

This team was put together in less than 5 minutes, so it's no doubt hugely flawed and missing something obvious but it's better than nothing...

f: Jack Delean - Liam Fawcett - Patrick Weckert
hf: Ashton Moir - Harry Francis - Eli Redman
c: Luca Slade - Kane McAuliffe - Loch Rawlinson
hb: Bodie Ryan - Will Patton - Callum Fairall
b: Logan Evans - Jack Oates - Alex Holt
r: Tom Luck - Ben Ridgway - Trent Tattoli
i: Will McCabe - Tom Wheaton - Oscar Talbot - Tyler Welsh - Sid Draper

It's always impossible to know which way the coaches will go, and there are a few options across all three lines. Fawcett deserves the chance to be the #1 guy up forward, but there are a few options around him in Weckert, Francis and McCabe. The latter two offer more versatility in terms of ruck or KPD. And we saw last year that the coaches value their structure over particular 'bigger' names. But with Delean and Moir down there, it'll be a talented forward line no matter what.

And down back, there are a handful of KPDs to choose from - I went with Oates, I think his ceiling might be the highest of the options. But the real strength should be in the medium defenders and half backs.

In the middle, there's a bunch of ball winners to pick from and that's where it's a waiting game to see which way the coaches go - especially when filling the bench. As always a bit more speed would be nice through the middle, but there's some good solid mids to build off in McAuliffe and Ridgway. At the moment, it's looking like the ruck role is between the underage Luck and the overage van Wyk. Maybe both play, or maybe they go with some relief work from Francis.

Feels like there'll be a couple of late additions to the squad, likely more in terms of the x factor players who pop up over the next month. I've always had a soft spot for Jayden Matz as a developing KPP/relief ruck, I think he's still draftable despite missing the squad - he has a few things to work on though, and really needs to nail down a specific position.

Anyway, I'll look to keep this thread updated throughout the season with news and results. But please jump in and help me out with thoughts and opinions.

I haven’t had a chance to watch these kids this season, I’m looking forward to it when I get a chance. Few questions..

What’s weckerts height at currently? Is he still about 190? Is he a kpp or just a medium? I think he’s played back a bit as a junior unless my memory betrays me.. what is he in the afl?

What’s Oates height?

Goad will ruck. He’ll be a first rounder by Nov. Van Wyk called in for back up. Luck won’t get a game.
Need to run back vision v Eagles , Goad didn’t loose a CB tap, He’ll play. All eyes are on him, 207cm and moves like Luke Jackson, as I said watch this name in Nov.

Phoenix Hargrave is a really good player, I think he will get game time

I'm surprised Benny Barrett and Lucas Camporeale weren't named in the squad because SA has a strong group of talent for 2024 imo.

Trent Tattoli deserving a little more attention.
Listed as 179 cms this year averaging just under 30 disposals a game in 4 games this year at 90% efficiency and seems to be building? 39 today against West.

Probably doesn't play a long game but think he's making a few other players look good with his distribution.

Long time reader, first time poster ;)

SA vs NSW Academies this Sunday
Moir, McAuliffe, Delean, Patton (? neck soreness) have AFL Academy commitments
Ridgeway Osteitis Pubis ,not sure of timeline would think 3-4 away
Thinking they will go with Van Wyk and Goad. Although Francis is undersized he did well against Luck a couple of weeks so could potentially provide relief if selected.

Benny Barret in a bit of trouble for a dumping tackle on the weekend. SANFL very cautious with anything to the head region. Has struggled for form early but has genuine pace and will provide moments of magic.

Oates in the 6 foot 5 vicinity

College football will now determine some results..... example Glenelg vs South on the weekend.

Thinking they will go with Van Wyk and Goad. Although Francis is undersized he did well against Luck a couple of weeks so could potentially provide relief if selected.

Benny Barret in a bit of trouble for a dumping tackle on the weekend. SANFL very cautious with anything to the head region. Has struggled for form early but has genuine pace and will provide moments of magic.

College football will now determine some results..... example Glenelg vs South on the weekend.
Benny Barrett is very similar in game style to Kysiah Pickett, but maybe more a mid/forw than Pickett who is forw/mid

Anyone over in SA got any idea what’s happening with Byron Pickett Jnr?

Played for WWT last year then moved to a Melbourne but didn’t get picked in the Northern Knights squad so has he has moved back to SA. Anyone know if he is planning on playing back in the SANFL under 18’s?

Swans have a 205cm ruck who's improving fairly rapidly, looking forward to him testing himself against the SA boys

SANFL is pleased to announce an exciting new partnership with The Advertiser’s streaming platform, KommunityTV, which provides an opportunity to showcase SA’s most talented teenage footballers to the nation.

The exclusive streaming deal kicks off this weekend with live coverage of the 2023 Torrens University SA Under 18 State Team’s first hit out against the NSW Academy at Thebarton Oval on Sunday.

This will be one of two State U18s trial matches to be featured on KommunityTV, with the second match being the team’s second trial match on Friday May 19. This match will be against the SA Under 20s, comprising the best 19 and 20-year-olds currently playing in the Hostplus SANFL League and Reserves.

The Advertiser KommunityTV's SANFL streaming schedule​

• SA U18s v NSW Academy trial game | Sunday May 14 | 10:05am | Thebarton Oval
  • SA U18s v SA U20s | Friday May 19 | 7:00pm | Thebarton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back