Injury 2023 St Kilda Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the latest on Coffield? Listed as a test on the injury list - is he in line to play for Sandy this week?
Based on this thread probably best we get him in here and let all us posters have a gander at the troublesome area.

Could be anything from next Sandy game to 6 feet under

It's not what we think Georgy...

It's what a bloke who's studied for 10 years, practiced in the field for 20+ & is renowned for being the best in a very small pond thinks.

Happy to back him (or her) over what a layman with nothing more than a senior first aid certificate 'feels'.
Hoh! Here he is! The big CHESTY LA RUE coming out of the woodworks! Have a look at him 😤

PS - I think it's a s**t decision xx

So the club medicos follow a surgeons advice & the issue is with the club docs?

Or are you suggesting the surgeon didn't advise the club that the best option for Max is to rehab for a month & do the lesser surgery at season's end?

Re: Membrey, he wasn't mismanaged, his degenerative knee was much worse than thought when they did the scope on him. The one week timeline was fine if it had just needed the small clean up that they thought it would.

The other players you mentioned had either totally unrelated injuries (Hayes, Billings) or had issues that quite commonly happen after a serious one (Coffield's calf).

And a heap of our injury issues this season have just been bad *ing luck.

In what cases have the club docs been found to have been wrong in their strategy?
Ive made my thoughts explicitly clear over and over, im not going to keep doing it.

Same injury, different injury, gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t.

At a point you can either keep blaming luck OR you can consider that maybe the rehab and recovery team has made some mistakes.

Ive made my thoughts explicitly clear over and over, im not going to keep doing it.

Same injury, different injury, gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t.

At a point you can either keep blaming luck OR you can consider that maybe the rehab and recovery team has made some mistakes.

There is risk in every decision, it sounded like the club leaves the decision making up to the player these days and Lyon seemed to be suggesting that recently. Having a loose shoulder shouldn't do more damage if you play on it and get it tightened up in the off season but playing with it could also do more damage, especially if opposition target the shoulder which is in their right to do if he steps onto a footy field.

I'm happy to take a bit of a gamble....until it *s up and then I'm thinking it was stupid.

Said this before but coffeild could be the key to so much. Play that roll on the hbf and release sincs into the middle full time.
Imagine Coff and NWM on the back flanks. I think we've got a lot of of pieces of the puzzle, we just need to put them all together and add another draft or two to them.

I don't really want to venture into the King debate, but I disagree with any suggestion that there is no real point in us taking a gamble to win a few more games and potentially finals this year. Yes, we aren't winning the flag, but the difference between fizzling out of the season and going out with a bang could be very significant come trade time.

The other key which will unlock all sorts of flow on effects is Hayes.
Its hard to explain to nuetrals how important the likes of Coff, Hayes and Zak Jones are because theyre not A grade star players but structurally they do so much for others.

Hayes leads hard and creates space for Max. Jones breaks lines and attacks stoppages which frees Steele and co up from their one on one style. I like our backline currently but Coff is so dynamic he adds to the fluid zone defence.

Those guys really will change the way we look.

Its hard to explain to nuetrals how important the likes of Coff, Hayes and Zak Jones are because theyre not A grade star players but structurally they do so much for others.

Hayes leads hard and creates space for Max. Jones breaks lines and attacks stoppages which frees Steele and co up from their one on one style. I like our backline currently but Coff is so dynamic he adds to the fluid zone defence.

Lots of those glue players are gone. DMac was similar as well. Lots of guys who aren't household names but seem to be the gelatine that stiffens the structures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was so good to see Jones back exactly for that reason. He changes angles with his speed and candy-selling better than any of our other midfielders which just opens up the whole game for everyone else. He's seriously underrated even by us fans.

i honestly believe coffield will become a very good midfielder for us

stoker allows us to push him in that direction. i think he could be the replacement for wood albeit a defencive winger.

Getting Coffield back before the end of the season would be a real bonus for us, I had just about written off his chances of playing for us at all this year.

It's been so long since he played for us it's easy to forget how good he is, he can play that Sam Fisher quarterback type role off half back with his ability to rebound and set up play going forward while also drifting forward himself to kick the odd goal or two like Fisher used to do.

Playing a role in the midfield is a possibility for him too.

I don't really want to venture into the King debate, but I disagree with any suggestion that there is no real point in us taking a gamble to win a few more games and potentially finals this year. Yes, we aren't winning the flag, but the difference between fizzling out of the season and going out with a bang could be very significant come trade time.
When you've been historically as unsuccessful as the Saints have I believe you've got to try to play finals as often as you can. If getting King back will help us do that then go for it.

Surely coff doesn't come in
Did he get any pre season in?
When you've missed as much footy as him over the last two years it would do wonders for him to play a VFL game before the end of the year.
I wouldn't think there would be a chance of him playing AFL this year. Let him have a pre season first.

There is risk in every decision, it sounded like the club leaves the decision making up to the player these days and Lyon seemed to be suggesting that recently. Having a loose shoulder shouldn't do more damage if you play on it and get it tightened up in the off season but playing with it could also do more damage, especially if opposition target the shoulder which is in their right to do if he steps onto a footy field.

I'm happy to take a bit of a gamble....until it *s up and then I'm thinking it was stupid.
I’m no Doctor (can hardly put on a band aid!) but given they have flagged he will need another operation at the end of the year it just seems an unnecessary risk to me & could impact his confidence long term especially as we’re not winning the premiership this year. I’m just not in favour of taking unnecessary risks with 10 year blue chip assets!

I’m no Doctor (can hardly put on a band aid!) but given they have flagged he will need another operation at the end of the year it just seems an unnecessary risk to me & could impact his confidence long term especially as we’re not winning the premiership this year. I’m just not in favour of taking unnecessary risks with 10 year blue chip assets!

Fair enough, but it’s not just the club’s decision.

It’s a decision for Max, his management and his family also.

It’s for them to assess the risks.

And if there are concerns then that’s where it will stop.

The club cannot, and will not, force King to play in the current situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back