VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not very hopeful about Ladhams, but it sounds like his ankle injury was really bad. So maybe has an excuse for his lack of impact since coming back.

But I think his temperament issues aren't just going to go away.

Had more hitouts, disposals and clearances than McAndrew so he seems to be improving since his return?

Had more hitouts, disposals and clearances than McAndrew so he seems to be improving since his return?
It’s hard to describe - but he just looked “unhappy”.

Gobbed off at umps (costing us 50) when he wasn’t even in the play and it was a far-from-dominant performance.

Perhaps he’s still not 100%, perhaps he’s frustrated at the way he’s playing - hard to know.

I went to watch the match and saw from about 10 minutes in until 3/4 time. Unfortunately i had to leave then and missed the best bits!

Anyway, a few sundry observations:

* I thought the team's performance was a bit lacklustre and lackenergy too. Just weren't focused or on their toes enough of the time. Might have improved after I left.

* the team's discipline was not as good as it needed to be. Werribee were more disciplined. The biggest offender was definitely Ladhams. He gave 50 away for dissent after a perfectly reasonable but 50-50 call on a deliberate out of bounds. Totally unnecessary. I think he should just resolve to say and think as little as possible about the umpiring regardless of how bad the calls are - just get on with it. Has an umpire ever changed a call after a player suggests they got it wrong? Waste of energy and focus. More positively, later on, when the Werribee lads got stuck into Gould very physically Ladhams backed Gould up, but in a reasonable and disciplined way. Unfortunately then one of them (but I think it was Gould) gave away the free kick when the oppo continued to provoke them and that led to another goal for Werribee. I would not be comfortable selecting Ladhams for AFL at the moment. The frustrating thing is that Ladhams has the ability, and he has the competitiveness. He needs to work on his mental game big time.

* I sadly missed Rankin's goals but until then I thought his game was disappointing. He has obviously won some respect and directs a bit of the traffic and makes a bit of the play, especially now that there aren't that many players in the team more experienced than him (!). But he made numerous skill errors that troubled me. I wasn't that impressed with his game overall.

* Melican was great - spoiled everything that came near him and rebounded reliably. By far our best defender, with Harry Arnold a clear second and Will Edwards and Cam Owen making up the numbers on the tall side of things. I think Melican should be called in to cover for Tommy McCartin if we can't overturn Tommy's suspension.

* Caiden Cleary looked good. Lachie Cabor looked uncertain and anonymous.

* Tom Howard (#56) worked really hard - I liked his effort, even if he is never going to be drafted.

There were plenty of senior Swans in action on Sunday but it didn't help them get over the line against Werribee, going down by 33 points.

Corey Warner led Sydney for disposals with 26, also slotting a goal, while Lachlan Rankin kicked two from 18 touches.

Will Gould finished with two goals as well.

Matt Roberts had a team-high six clearances in his 20 disposals, Ryan Clarke had five and 21 touches and Peter Ladhams had four clearances along with 21 hitouts and 13 disposals.

Lewis Melican was busy with 19 disposals, and ruckman Lachie McAndrew had 18 hitouts and 10 disposals.

Other senior Swans in action included Caleb Mitchell (nine disposals), Hugo Hall-Kahan (eight), William Edwards (eight), Cameron Owen (eight), Jacob Konstanty (six) and Jaiden Magor (five).

It will be interesting to see how we recruit for the VFL list for 2024.

With the injuries to senior players, players had to step up to fill in, and then the VFL team got hit by injuries as well (Mitchell, Konstanty, Vickery, Collis, etc). Quite a few players also seem to have dropped out of the squad throughout the season as well, and we had to rely on local top-ups at times to get us through until others came back in.

What are the players doing now - predominantly I meant the senior listed players who aren't playing seniors? Some of them were at the AFLW (including some who we don't know if they will be on the list next year e.g. Gould) so I guess they haven't gone on holidays yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back