VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

I am worried about the Swans VFL team next year as we have lost a lot of our depth again in delisting Clarke and trading away Stephens, two of our best VFL players and we were not a great team this year.

I really do think having a strong reserves team helps develop younger players which is why I wish we kept Clarke and a few others.

I am worried about the Swans VFL team next year as we have lost a lot of our depth again in delisting Clarke and trading away Stephens, two of our best VFL players and we were not a great team this year.

I really do think having a strong reserves team helps develop younger players which is why I wish we kept Clarke and a few others.

Always depends on the length of the injury list throughout the year, but if we have a fairly manageable injury list then I’d suggest the reserves will have good access to a batch including guys like Wicks, Ladhams, Warner Jr, Amartey, Buller, Arnold, Melican, Hamling, Francis, Jordon, Roberts, McAndrew, Reid, Cunningham, Fox plus developing guys like Konstanty, Mitchell, Edwards, Vickery, Magor and the new draftees including Cleary. That’s plenty to work with imo. Probably not a premiership challenging side but enough to compete. Particularly in the key positions.

They were mainly using Ladhams as a ruck forward with McAndrew full time in the ruck. Stretch's ruck work had surpassed Ladhams by the end of the year. With another strong pre season and the chance to learn from Grundy, I expect he will have another leap forward.

They were mainly using Ladhams as a ruck forward with McAndrew full time in the ruck. Stretch's ruck work had surpassed Ladhams by the end of the year. With another strong pre season and the chance to learn from Grundy, I expect he will have another leap forward.
Horse said they had to play Ladhams predominantly forward because they didn't want to put further strain on his ankle while it was recovering.

We'll have one new recruit, if Ben Edwards (as posted on main recruitment thread by Ticky009) does come over for the 2024 season

Not sure how many VFL-listed players won't be coming back yet - I suppose we won't know until the new year.

That kid has spent a heap of time in the weights room.

Bartholomeus will hopefully return and Morrison.Expect there to be a few ex Academy types if they miss getting a spot, eg Cabor.

We'll have one new recruit, if Ben Edwards (as posted on main recruitment thread by Ticky009) does come over for the 2024 season

Not sure how many VFL-listed players won't be coming back yet - I suppose we won't know until the new year.
That's correct , like the comp it's a waiting game and it's still only October

I'm slowly working through the team lists over the next couple of weeks so should hopefully have some details shortly.

29OCT23: Swans VFL Analysis
I do wonder what will happen on the coaching front for our VFL team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do wonder what will happen on the coaching front for our VFL team.

It's a curious mix of needing to develop the kids but needing to be competitive in order to do so. Failed miserably this year. Reckon HHK was sacrificed. What I saw (albeit limited) was chaotic. 2022 with Taylor, Clarke and Sinclair running the show on field was a whole different thing. I think we missed Laidler who seemed to do a decent job as forwards coach at GWS.

I know people at standalone clubs are worried about the future going forward
As they should be, rumours about the SA teams joining soon and if that happens the WA teams will follow soon after, plus tasmania in 2025/2026.

There will be no room for standalone clubs

As they should be, rumours about the SA teams joining soon and if that happens the WA teams will follow soon after, plus tasmania in 2025/2026.

There will be no room for standalone clubs
Wonder if they're going to change the name. VFL name is a bit of a mockery atm.

Wonder if they're going to change the name. VFL name is a bit of a mockery atm.
If the AFL destroys the next tier they have got rocks in their head. They should be trying to expand it, not shrink it. As someone (sorry) mentioned WAFL, SANFL, VTFL, NQFL as the next tier comps properly supported underpinned by junior organisations. Not everyone can, or even wants to, play at the top level.
Country footy at the third tier, also with juniors.
Put some money in it.

I'm quite bullish on our prospects. Yes, we lost Clarke and Stephens. But all the youngsters are another year older and more experienced and we have recruited new and better depth players. We have better KPP depth and will have a formidable backline (injuries permitting). Our ruck depth is adequate. The recruiting of Jordon and Hamling (and Adams) plus the likely return of Reid will mean that we'll have some more mature and experienced players (whether it's them or the players they replace in the seniors). Buller is going to get a chance to strut his stuff. If Roberts and Sheldrick can't crack the seniors, together with Corey, they are going to be strong on-ball crew. We'll do just fine - better than this year I'm confident.

I'm quite bullish on our prospects. Yes, we lost Clarke and Stephens. But all the youngsters are another year older and more experienced and we have recruited new and better depth players. We have better KPP depth and will have a formidable backline (injuries permitting). Our ruck depth is adequate. The recruiting of Jordon and Hamling (and Adams) plus the likely return of Reid will mean that we'll have some more mature and experienced players (whether it's them or the players they replace in the seniors). Buller is going to get a chance to strut his stuff. If Roberts and Sheldrick can't crack the seniors, together with Corey, they are going to be strong on-ball crew. We'll do just fine - better than this year I'm confident.
So much is determined by injuries.. and as it stands at the moment, every one is healthy (apart from Mills). Havnt heard any reports of off-season surgery?

Bullish !

Another article regarding the expansion of the 2nds to include Port & Crows. It seems Port are pushing for it quiet hard.

It's going to happen , clubs like Coburg are a basket case and their licence runs out about the same time as Tassie come in.
Sandringham will fall over asa well , but clubs like Port ,Willy and Werribee will survive thanks to pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back