List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If he goes, it will be because he sees too many in front of him and he wants to play senior footy. Good luck to him and anyone who leaves. Younger people tend to be impatient and I can’t see Lohmann deciding that his AFL career involves playing in the reserves and filling in occasionally if one of a small group of like players is injured.

There’s also every chance another club is I’m his ear saying he’d essentially be guaranteed games if he did the move. So it becomes less of a gamble moving to another club and more of a gamble staying here and waiting for a spot to open up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bummer. Might as well leave him in the reserves in that case.
Don’t agree with this sentiment.

If he can help us win games, and is the best available player to bring in due to an injury to a small forward, I want him in the team. Especially if it’s the Grand Final.

If he can help us win games, and is the best available player to bring in due to an injury to a small forward, I want him in the team. Especially if it’s the Grand Final.
Fair play, but if it's just a matter of giving another player a rest and rewarding good form in the reserves, I'd prefer others

And if he does do well improves our position at the trade table.

Lohmann I’d hope for the Tigers second round pick.

Robertson we’d be lucky to get Port’s third rounder off West Coast.
The fact that they have essentially been classified as reserves grade footballers means that our bargaining position is somewhat weakened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 Unrestricted Free Agents

brisbane.jpg

Nakia Cockatoo*
Darragh Joyce*
Ryan Lester*
Rhys Mathieson*
Daniel Rich
Dayne Zorko

Zorko and Rich will most likely retire. Mathieson will be 27 at the start of next season and I imagine he will leave. Lester will stay if offered his standard one year deal and it is hard to know what Joyce or Cockatoo will do.

2023 Unrestricted Free Agents

brisbane.jpg

Nakia Cockatoo*
Darragh Joyce*
Ryan Lester*
Rhys Mathieson*
Daniel Rich
Dayne Zorko

Zorko and Rich will most likely retire. Mathieson will be 27 at the start of next season and I imagine he will leave. Lester will stay if offered his standard one year deal and it is hard to know what Joyce or Cockatoo will do.
None of those players leaving would be terminally damaging re our flag aspirations going forward over the next few years IMO.

I'd rather go with one of Jimmy Tunstill, Jaspa Fletcher, Kai Lohmann, Dev Robertson or Jaxon Prior over Paddy Dow, no one is going to play the same style game as Zorko anyway, we just adjust and use what we have.
In bringing up Dow, there’s the assumption that Dev, Prior and Lohmann are all gone. And possibly one of Lyons or Mathieson, as has been mentioned in previous posts in this current discussion.

I believe a combination in the change of rules, and new game styles the change in rules are encouraging, don’t leave room for the likes of Lyons and Mathieson at AFL level.

However I do believe there is a place for players like Lester, Lyons, Mathieson, etc at VFL level, as leaders and on field coaches for younger developing, if such players are happy in such a role (and on close to minimum salary).

I’d much rather there be a senior core in our VFL team, that helps keep it competitive, rather than it be chock full of youngsters being flogged every week.

No one can argue that was in hindsight.
Little backstory, but I remember getting a little battering on draft night from some members on our club forum for questioning who he actually was and why we went for another small forward with our 2nd pick (Pick 20) even when we have a spoiled choice to choose from at the club.

However, looking at retrospective now and there really isn’t anyone (so far in their careers) that I would chosen otherwise so I will admit to say I thought wrong in terms of long-term potential and talent.

In saying that though, would have loved to get Jacob Van Rooyen with that pick though, if Melbourne didn’t select him beforehand but the club “apparently” didn’t rate him as highly as Lohmann in that underage year and also is best mates with Sharp as well so the club might have thought it would be a safe option instead.

Little backstory, but I remember getting a little battering on draft night from some members on our club forum for questioning who he actually was and why we went for another small forward with our 2nd pick (Pick 20) even when we have a spoiled choice to choose from at the club.

However, looking at retrospective now and there really isn’t anyone (so far in their careers) that I would chosen otherwise so I will admit to say I thought wrong in terms of long-term potential and talent.

In saying that though, would have loved to get Jacob Van Rooyen with that pick though, if Melbourne didn’t select him beforehand but the club “apparently” didn’t rate him as highly as Lohmann in that underage year and also is best mates with Sharp as well so the club might have thought it would be a safe option instead.
Club rated Van Rooyen ahead of Lohmann from what I remember.

Club rated Van Rooyen ahead of Lohmann from what I remember.
Well, I have a personal message for the Melbourne Football Club for choosing JVR the pick before us then :mad:

*- At least Wilmot has been a beauty in his short career so far with us :)

None of those players leaving would be terminally damaging re our flag aspirations going forward over the next few years IMO.
Agreed. More concerning would be a situation where players started asking to be traded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back