List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO the Blues don't need another slow midfielder so I wouldn't be going after Lyons if I was the Blues.

On the others I can't see Fullarton getting any offers as he has done very little at senior level.

I could see Prior and Robertson looking for senior opportunities, I wonder what we would get from the Eagles if they went in the one trade deal.

Fort is a must keep as a back up to O.

It would be sad to see Matho leave after all these years but he is not a need as his part of the ground is covered very well now.

It would be a blow to lose all 6 though, would severely affect our depth if heaven forbid we suffered a bad injury run eg. anywhere near like what the Eagles have had this season.

Agree with every bit of that.

2023 Unrestricted Free Agents

brisbane.jpg

Nakia Cockatoo*
Darragh Joyce*
Ryan Lester*
Rhys Mathieson*
Daniel Rich
Dayne Zorko

Zorko and Rich will most likely retire. Mathieson will be 27 at the start of next season and I imagine he will leave. Lester will stay if offered his standard one year deal and it is hard to know what Joyce or Cockatoo will do.

Wouldn't be surprised if Zorko and the club think he had another year in him but expect Rich to retire.
Matho has tested the waters last two years and had no interest. I guess you could say teams might be interested because as a free agent he's a free hit, but I guarantee had another club expressed interest we would've assisted him in getting there with zero fuss so can't see how the situation has changed. Even Hawks who cleared out their midfield weren't interested. Assuming we lose a developing player or two from our VFL, which seems likely, I'd be happy for us to give him another year and keep doing what he's been doing for us: assisting reserves development and Lachie back up.
Lester is playing better than he ever has, is highly regarded he is around the club for his off-field contributions and leadership and I'd be very hesitant to reduce any KP depth. Another year.
Unless we're able to bring in a ready-made KPD with the salary that would've been assigned to Adams' future contract I think we give Joyce at least another year to preserve our depth. If he can find his way back into the senior team and performs well that could be two years.
Cocky I genuinely have no clue.

Did we ever find out if Gunston got the 2 (or heaven forbid 3) year deal to move up here? At his age and injury history it's going to be nigh on impossible to get any of his agility and/or movement back. We ideally don't want to be carrying him on the list for 3 years if he is only able to reach his current standard.

Did we ever find out if Gunston got the 2 (or heaven forbid 3) year deal to move up here? At his age and injury history it's going to be nigh on impossible to get any of his agility and/or movement back. We ideally don't want to be carrying him on the list for 3 years if he is only able to reach his current standard.
Just my opinion.

We got Gunston up here because we still lack leadership on field.

When things start going pear shaped, some of our “leaders” start snipping the opposition, rather than trying to change the momentum and style of play in game.

I do recognise that it’s hard to change the flow of the game when some of our players are physically incapable of contributing to the style of play and pace needed to turn a game.

Just my opinion.

We got Gunston up here because we still lack leadership on field.

When things start going pear shaped, some of our “leaders” start snipping the opposition, rather than trying to change the momentum and style of play in game.

I do recognise that it’s hard to change the flow of the game when some of our players are physically incapable of contributing to the style of play and pace needed to turn a game.
Getting Gunston for leadership is like getting Custer for Little Big Horn.

We've got numerous players in the 23-30 age bracket who've been around long enough and played at a high level long enough to know what's required.

We've got Andrews , Gardiner ,Rich ,now Lester , Starcevich has leadership qualities , in the backline.

Neale and Dunkley look born leaders. Zorko's still there. Berry's been around a while. Oscar looks like a leader the way he tries as far as his body can push him every week.

McCarthy , Cameron, Daniher ,Hipwood , all very experienced players

Lots of others.

To say we needed Gunston for leadership is a total indictment on any leadership development we might have in place at the club.

The only reason we got him is that Fagan threw him a life raft and the way the club has had everyone talk him up compared to any contribution is Exhibit A of the spin.

If anything we have too many potential leaders.

Don't agree that we have too many potential leaders.

The next generation of leaders havent really come on. Andrews wasnt trusted by the club to take sole captaincy and the likes of Berry and McCluggage arent screaming pick me.

May have something to do with the personality types we draft and recruit. They tend to be more on the quieter side as opposed to the louder guys who seek the bright lights of the big city.

The only reason we got him is that Fagan threw him a life raft and the way the club has had everyone talk him up compared to any contribution is Exhibit A of the spin.
I think here you're spinning to try to make a point. Mitchell is on record as saying he is the one player Hawthorn didn't want to lose in the off-season.

Don't agree that we have too many potential leaders.

The next generation of leaders havent really come on. Andrews wasnt trusted by the club to take sole captaincy and the likes of Berry and McCluggage arent screaming pick me.

May have something to do with the personality types we draft and recruit. They tend to be more on the quieter side as opposed to the louder guys who seek the bright lights of the big city.
Well if we don't have enough potential leaders how else are you supposed to get them other than what we've done recruitment wise.

To get a 30+ guy who can't run or have any impact and think that's providing leadership is braindead.

We've got more than enough young experienced players there who are good enough to hold their place in the side and take on the responsibility.

I can understand bringing Gunston in to play if he's good enough but to bring him in for leadership just prevents personal development of the many good players we have ,and to me would be a poor reflection on them.

I think here you're spinning to try to make a point. Mitchell is on record as saying he is the one player Hawthorn didn't want to lose in the off-season.
Well of course Mitch would say that wouldn't he. When he offloaded players who could actually still play to great criticism from within make out the one who can't so much to be the one you wanted to keep . Also your mate.

Mitch is a really good operator and is taking a 5 year view. He's taken some courageous decisions but I think he'll be proven right over the next few years.

On reflection I don't think Birchall helped us much as a player and held back the development of a younger player and Gunston is next level.

There was only one Hodge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting Gunston for leadership is like getting Custer for Little Big Horn.

We've got numerous players in the 23-30 age bracket who've been around long enough and played at a high level long enough to know what's required.

We've got Andrews , Gardiner ,Rich ,now Lester , Starcevich has leadership qualities , in the backline.

Neale and Dunkley look born leaders. Zorko's still there. Berry's been around a while. Oscar looks like a leader the way he tries as far as his body can push him every week.

McCarthy , Cameron, Daniher ,Hipwood , all very experienced players

Lots of others.

To say we needed Gunston for leadership is a total indictment on any leadership development we might have in place at the club.

If anything we have too many potential leaders.
I admired Gunston at the Hawks - he was a great player, incredibly reliable goal kicker and very difficult to match up on. I was pleased we picked him up...I'm sure he is disappointed about his own performances so far - he certainly looks down on himself and he just doesn't look right. He had 2 opportunities early in the game against Adelaide to snap goals, one just missed and the other hit the post - he can't take a trick at the moment. Fingers crossed things turn around for him soon - at his best, he could be a real point of difference for us but it is just not happening yet.

I admired Gunston at the Hawks - he was a great player, incredibly reliable goal kicker and very difficult to match up on. I was pleased we picked him up...I'm sure he is disappointed about his own performances so far - he certainly looks down on himself and he just doesn't look right. He had 2 opportunities early in the game against Adelaide to snap goals, one just missed and the other hit the post - he can't take a trick at the moment. Fingers crossed things turn around for him soon - at his best, he could be a real point of difference for us but it is just not happening yet.
Could it be that his most likely struggling over his father’s passing still and just hasn’t been the same player since?

I hope if that is the case though, the club gives him some time away from the club to help himself mentally.

Well if we don't have enough potential leaders how else are you supposed to get them other than what we've done recruitment wise.

To get a 30+ guy who can't run or have any impact and think that's providing leadership is braindead.

We've got more than enough young experienced players there who are good enough to hold their place in the side and take on the responsibility.

I can understand bringing Gunston in to play if he's good enough but to bring him in for leadership just prevents personal development of the many good players we have ,and to me would be a poor reflection on them.

Yes Gunston doesnt strike me as a leader but I understand why they brought him.It doesnt look to be working out but I'm not going to criticize the club for bringing him in. The club has a track record of way more hits than misses in the Fagan era.

Importing the Hawthorn premiership DNA, starting with Fagan, was the way to go.

Not sure about the braindead part of your comment. Is that directed at the club or at me?

Yes Gunston doesnt strike me as a leader but I understand why they brought him.It doesnt look to be working out but I'm not going to criticize the club for bringing him in. The club has a track record of way more hits than misses in the Fagan era.

Importing the Hawthorn premiership DNA, starting with Fagan, was the way to go.

Not sure about the braindead part of your comment. Is that directed at the club or at me?
No. Neither really . I made the point that if we were getting someone who is 30+ and can't have any impact for the purpose of providing leadership that's ,well I should've used a less aggressive word.

I'm presuming we got him to improve the playing list. I'm sure Gunners id a bit down on himself and lost some confidence at the moment. Which is reflected in him missing shots that he used to swallow. But to me it's purely a running and defensive impact issue and I'm not sure he can get better at that. I'd love it if he did but to me he's the same player I was watching last year but in a weak side and one of the few who had a clue how to kick goals.

We pretty much took Joyce over Arnold is that right?

Could come back to bite us
I wasn't paying close attention to the preseason, but I'm sure I have read on here that Arnold was injured during the preseason, and early part of the AFL season, and we needed a player who could play the first couple of rounds, as Gardiner and Lester were out injured as well, and the only fit KPD's on our list were Andrews and Payne.

I wasn't paying close attention to the preseason, but I'm sure I have read on here that Arnold was injured during the preseason, and early part of the AFL season, and we needed a player who could play the first couple of rounds, as Gardiner and Lester were out injured as well, and the only fit KPD's on our list were Andrews and Payne.

And we even tried playing just two talls but that failed spectacularly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back