List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just assumed it based on his height, but does Watson actually have the ability to rove contests as one of his main strengths? I've seen one or two say that he's more of a marking forward, and if that's true, he's an absolute no go. Ginnivan but 16cm shorter. No thanks

Right now I have changed my views and reckon we are better going with all our picks to strengthen our side. If we are trading all those picks for Harley Reid its a risk. How many so called number 1 players have failed to meet their so called high billing and can 1 player really change a side. I think West Coast would be much better off with a heap of picks looking at their current draft hand. Give my 4 quality players rather than 1 star. If he was a Carey or an Ablett type player you would throw the kitchen sink at him but he's not that type of player

Right now I have changed my views and reckon we are better going with all our picks to strengthen our side. If we are trading all those picks for Harley Reid its a risk. How many so called number 1 players have failed to meet their so called high billing and can 1 player really change a side. I think West Coast would be much better off with a heap of picks looking at their current draft hand. Give my 4 quality players rather than 1 star. If he was a Carey or an Ablett type player you would throw the kitchen sink at him but he's not that type of player
Not necessarily gonna disagree with you on your overall point, but there's a pretty recent example at North showing that this can happen

I reckon Melbourne will probably get a deal done but its going to cost us heaps. As someone has already said 1 player is ok for Melbourne. But for us we need 4 or so quality players not just one potential star
I don't think that its 4 vs 1. We will be keeping two top 3 picks, no matter what.

Haha, the Weagles think Darling will help to land them more of our carefully assembled draft capital. He'll be reluctant to leave Perth, is on $800k per year when well past his best and is contracted for another 2 years. The Weagles are more than welcome to keep him as their problem. Too many red flags for me with not nearly enough upside.

Damo is obsessed with the fact we haven't offered up 2+3 for pick 1 yet. Seems genuinely offended we started off at best possible option for us and are working our way down.

Can't seem to process that in a negotiation you don't start high, because you can't negotiate back down to less.

he will be apoplectic if we don't offer 2+3 at one point.

One of the only good points that they've made a few times is that people are too obsessed with the Draft Point Index and picks 1-7 are far more valuable than a couple of picks in the late teens with similar DPI value.

So Weagles now in desperation mode and trying to offload a 31 yo champion of the club.

If we wait long enough they'll throw in Barrass as well.

Like I said in a pist 2-3 days ago. They are trapped in the HR VORTEX.

They really want Mckercher at 1 but know the fans will burn the place down if HR isn't picked.

Hold firm Brady as the picks we have are too valuable to piss away. Let them come begging for 2 and 15 and tell em they're dreaming.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Melbourne will probably get a deal done but its going to cost us heaps. As someone has already said 1 player is ok for Melbourne. But for us we need 4 or so quality players not just one potential star
6, 11, two picks in the 40s and their future first. I don't see how?

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jack Darling: West Coast Eagles forward on trade table as part of potential North Melbourne No.1 pick deal

West Coast has made veteran forward Jack Darling available for trade if it helps the Eagles turn pick one into a life raft of early draft selections.

As North Melbourne, Melbourne and Hawthorn clamber to entice the Eagles to part with the coveted first selection in the November 20 AFL national draft.

The West Australian understands Darling is on the table, but only at the right price.

Complicating the matter is the 31-year-old has a young family and does not want to leave Perth.

The Eagles’ premiership player also has two years remaining on a five-year contract, worth about $800,000 per season, which will also come into salary cap calculations in any negotiations.

The Kangaroos have already shown interest and insiders suggest Melbourne would also be willing to take on Darling to help solve its forward line riddle.

The Demons, Kangaroos and Hawks are desperate to gain the No. 1 pick so they can draft gun Victorian youngster Harley Reid.

North Melbourne added pick 3 to 2, 3, 15, 17, 18, 57, and 65 to its suite after Ben McKay’s free agency move to Essendon.

It gives the Roos the whip hand to package up a deal, which is where Darling may come into play.

The Kangaroos have already made an offer of picks 15, 18, 21, and a future end-of-first-round for No. 1 — an ambit claim that was quickly rejected by the Eagles – with stronger offers expected to come in the last three days of the AFL’s Trade Period which winds up on Wednesday.

Darling could be an ideal addition to the North Melbourne attack alongside Nick Larkey as the Kangaroos look to add experience and depth to the forward line.

But Melbourne is also poised for a play at Reid and entered the bidding war when it secured pick 11 from Gold Coast to No. 6 which it landed via Fremantle last year in the Luke Jackson deal.

The Demons have picks 6, 11, 42, and 47 at their disposal and view a player with Darling’s experience as crucial with their premiership window open.

The Demons have struggled to kick winning scores this season with key targets Ben Brownand Tom McDonald missing large chunks and forcing them to park Brodie Grundy and Max Gawn in the forward 50. Jake Melksham is also out for 12 months with an ACL and Grundy has now joined Sydney.

Harrison Petty has knocked back an offer to move to Adelaide, but may look at it again at the end of next season.

West Australian Demon Jacob van Rooyen is contracted til the end of 2025 and is seen as a key part of Melbourne’s future plans, but might be expendable if Reid is the reward.

An offer of six, 11 and van Rooyen would be hard for the Eagles to turn down, unless the Roos slap down a trump hand.

Hawthorn is not considered in play for Darling as it chases Mabior Chol from Gold Coast and is in negotiations with Brisbane for premiership player Jack Gunston to return to the club.

The Eagles are also keen on pick two or three so they can secure one of their prime draft targets, Claremont defender Daniel Curtin.

Apart from Darling’s reluctance to move, the Eagles are also keen to hang on to experience, following the retirement of veterans Luke Shuey, Shannon Hurn and Nic Naitanui.

Darling was firm in his belief he wanted to remain a one-club player when he re-signed in 2019.

“I grew up supporting the Eagles, so to be here for my entire career is something I’ll look back on proudly,” Darling told the West Coast website.

“I always thought I was going to be a one-club player. I’m just really excited that the club has backed me in like they have my whole career.”

Darling has played 277 games, including 20 this season.

He sits on 510 goals and 265 behinds over his AFL career, third on the Eagles’ all-time list behind Josh Kennedy (712) and needs only another four to equal Peter Sumich in second position.

Darling’s 26 goals in 2023 was his lowest tally since his debut season in 2011.
Wowzsers….that whole article has a ring of panic stations….
Here well‘ll offer up Jack Darling, who’s still contracted, doesn’t want to relocate due to young family, has had his lowest output for his career…and is closer to the end of his playing days….l couldn’t give a rats if he’s 3rd on the wegales goal kicking list……..and in return we would prefer you hand over…… (we Know what they want …but it ain’t happening) ….what a genius idea on behalf of them…a one lonley solitary steak knife that is well done… l think it’s dawning on them and their media albeit slowly that this huge range of early picks that they seek might not be appearing……hence the look at this shiny player who may or may not be available to consider as a part of our deal…
Good luck with the rebuild WC…..

"The Kangaroos have already made an offer of picks 15, 18, 21, and a future end-of-first-round for No. 1 — an ambit claim that was quickly rejected by the Eagles – with stronger offers expected to come in the last three days of the AFL’s Trade Period which winds up on Wednesday."

It probably is a waste of time doing a one-on-one trade, they need to quantify what it is they want for 1 and there might be a chance a multi-club deal can be done by including Geelong and/or other teams that have better picks that would value splitting them like the trade last year.

It comes down to IF what they want for 1 is realistic or not. If we put our future 1st on the table, we have to assume it is going to be a top 4 pick, currency wise. Assuming we end up 4th last next year, that would be roughly 5k points worth of picks. Roughly equivalent to picks 5, 6 and 9. Would they say no to 5, 6 and 9? If yes then we may as well move on. If they would take take then then there might be a slim chance we can find the clubs that talent at that end of the draft and has the type of picks they are after.

I don't want to see us do a Port and start hocking picks around and then find out Geelong says no to the deal anyway, they just flushed their future 1st down the toilet. That being said, I'd prefer going to the draft with what we have.

Can’t respond to the last thread directly but here’s this.

Neither Melbourne or Hawthorn are after pick 1. Hawks in particular have three picks this year and need to satisfy a first round father son.

Melbourne aren’t trading Petty. If anything they’re attempting trading to one of our picks.

I think Melbourne go 6,11 JVR for Pick 1 and Darling and West Coast F2.

I think it’s good strategy and I worry about picks 2 and 3. There’s not a clear pick there.

Mckercher clear pick if not for Tassie thing. But there is a Tassie thing and if he’s a gun the afl highly likely to get him back to Tassie.

Curtin, same but with WA twist. If he’s any good they will be all over him.

Dursma not great from list needs point of view and I have doubts

Watson possible but too high for 2 and 3.

I’d think Reid is the best option as he’s local(ish), most likely to succeed and has said he’s ready to rebuild a club.

I said is the other night

2 + F1

1, WC F2, Darling with some salary

That’s the main part

Then either take 3 of trade down to Melbourne and we get to keep all out late firsts, a local talent at 6, then 11, 15, 17, 18.

If you want, make a play for the cats pick 7 as well.

I think Melbourne go 6,11 JVR for Pick 1 and Darling and West Coast F2.

I think it’s good strategy and I worry about picks 2 and 3. There’s not a clear pick there.

Mckercher clear pick if not for Tassie thing. But there is a Tassie thing and if he’s a gun the afl highly likely to get him back to Tassie.

Curtin, same but with WA twist. If he’s any good they will be all over him.

Dursma not great from list needs point of view and I have doubts

Watson possible but too high for 2 and 3.

I’d think Reid is the best option as he’s local(ish), most likely to succeed and has said he’s ready to rebuild a club.

I said is the other night

2 + F1

1, WC F2, Darling with some salary

That’s the main part

Then either take 3 of trade down to Melbourne and we get to keep all out late firsts, a local talent at 6, then 11, 15, 17, 18.

If you want, make a play for the cats pick 7 as well.
We cannot trade our F1 unless it is for a bloody good current player imo.

Doubt Melbourne offer up JVR regardless but especially as the Crows will keep going hard for Petty. They need a key forward, not to lose them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back