List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
Lot of indigenous guys leave Essendon very quietly
As much as I'd like to pile on a lot of Cat Bs have their careers ended the same way. Freo would be up there with Port as having the best rep for drafting and developing indigenous players and they just delisted a very athletic ruck in Eric Benning after just two years (OtToMH).

If we can't get out a contracted player for an assistance F2 then it might be worthwhile rolling it together with some picks in this draft, if we need points for Sanders. The Swans have a couple of picks in the 40-50's they may not use, puts Stephens around 45 value but they'll get a nice early 2nd rounder in 2024. Not sure how they see the shape of their list but if McKay goes there for free it may appeal as they'll still have their first three to draft with.
If we got a F2 and F3 that we had to trade, I would rather do F2 (or F2 and F3) for Stephens and Sydney's F2.

Noticed that * delisted Munkara very quietly last week. I guess the knocks on his professionalism/maturity were spot on.
Went back to the Tiwi islands.

Understandably, the AFL player life isn't for everyone.

Reckon we'll get the same compo package as last year and trade those picks for Stephens and Fisher.
In essence artificially giving Sydney and Carlton FA compensation for the loss of two players.

Equalisation.

In essence artificially giving Sydney and Carlton FA compensation for the loss of two players.

Equalisation.

Neither of those players is an FA, one is contracted until 2025 and the other is a 22yo former 4th pick. I get being annoyed at the expectation of assistance but should Carlton and Sydney just give us these players?

Neither of those players is an FA, one is contracted until 2025 and the other is a 22yo former 4th pick. I get being annoyed at the expectation of assistance but should Carlton and Sydney just give us these players?
I’m aware of their status.

I just like highlighting the hypocrisy that surrounds ‘assistance’.

Not fazed with either of those guys TBH. Will make little genuine difference to the side.

Not fazed with either of those guys TBH. Will make little genuine difference to the side.

I don't see the hypocrisy there, it's just basic trading.

If there's a shade of hypocrisy it will be when they make us match a bid for Sanders having essentially "gifted" us points in picks we don't have to use to trade for those guys.

I don't see the hypocrisy there, it's just basic trading.

If there's a shade of hypocrisy it will be when they make us match a bid for Sanders having essentially "gifted" us points in picks we don't have to use to trade for those guys.
The hypocrisy being ‘here’s some big average picks to trade for bog average players’ whilst we give other teams access to elite talent with zero caveats.

Afl: we’ll give you assistance in the way of access to an NGA kid.
North: great we handed you a list of names years ago, who trained in our NGA.
AFL: sorry we seemed to have lost the paperwork, can you prove those kids are NGA?
North: that’s weird, here’s the paperwork.
AFL: Whoa there, you ain’t allowed to ask for access to a specific kid. That’s draft tampering.
North: facepalm.

Trade the F2 as part of a package for GCs pick or one of WBs picks.

If we can't get out a contracted player for an assistance F2 then it might be worthwhile rolling it together with some picks in this draft, if we need points for Sanders. The Swans have a couple of picks in the 40-50's they may not use, puts Stephens around 45 value but they'll get a nice early 2nd rounder in 2024. Not sure how they see the shape of their list but if McKay goes there for free it may appeal as they'll still have their first three to draft with.
I wonder whether the AFL will repeat last year's proviso where we have to trade the PPs for at least one player.

Guess you could get around that by packaging together the F2 for Stephens + their pick 40-something, or even GC's pick 4 plus Graham.

As much as I'd like to pile on a lot of Cat Bs have their careers ended the same way. Freo would be up there with Port as having the best rep for drafting and developing indigenous players and they just delisted a very athletic ruck in Eric Benning after just two years (OtToMH).

Not just CatB, indigenous players Essendon took in the main draft also often head home in mysterious curcumstances.

I. Mosquito for example.

The hypocrisy being ‘here’s some big average picks to trade for bog average players’ whilst we give other teams access to elite talent with zero caveats.

Well that's on us more than the AFL, we don't necessarily need to trade for those guys there. Agreed though, the F2 is a rich prize for somebody (the F3 not so much).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder whether the AFL will repeat last year's proviso where we have to trade the PPs for at least one player.

Guess you could get around that by packaging together the F2 for Stephens + their pick 40-something, or even GC's pick 4 plus Graham.

I suspect they will - in particular if we have to match a bid for Sanders because then if we trade back into this draft then it looks like we've been gifted points. Otherwise there's no real 2023 assistance benefit to us holding picks in the 2024 draft.

I suspect they will - in particular if we have to match a bid for Sanders because then if we trade back into this draft then it looks like we've been gifted points. Otherwise there's no real 2023 assistance benefit to us holding picks in the 2024 draft.
I've always assumed the only way we could get our dirty mitts on GC's first rounder was by trading out our future first. But now I'm wondering whether they'd consider our priority picks (if we finish 17th again, it would be picks 21 and 38 I think) plus our natural future second rounder (20) for pick 4 and a token fringe player.

Miraculously the points from those three picks equal pick 4. It would be pretty handy if we could use the draft assistance to get Caleb Graham and Nick Watson, for example.

I've always assumed the only way we could get our dirty mitts on GC's first rounder was by trading out our future first. But now I'm wondering whether they'd consider our priority picks (if we finish 17th again, it would be picks 21 and 38 I think) plus our natural future second rounder (20) for pick 4 and a token fringe player.

Miraculously the points from those three picks equal pick 4. It would be pretty handy if we could use the draft assistance to get Caleb Graham and Nick Watson, for example.

Someone will give up the F1 I reckon

39 is the best pick for Stephens in terms of fair value imo, but if we get an F2 and an F3 as draft assistance again, how do you propose we use them?

Fair few options. If i recall correctly the F2 & F3 last year had to be traded for atleast 1 player, we could do whatever we wanted with the other selection.

IF we got the same, use the F3 for Stephens and then split the F2 for picks this year, possibly points for Sanders if that goes that route. No need to overpay for someone like Stephens just for the sake of it.

Fair few options. If i recall correctly the F2 & F3 last year had to be traded for atleast 1 player, we could do whatever we wanted with the other selection.

IF we got the same, use the F3 for Stephens and then split the F2 for picks this year, possibly points for Sanders if that goes that route. No need to overpay for someone like Stephens just for the sake of it.

The wording here is interesting, based on last year:

"NORTH Melbourne has received two future draft picks for next year as part of their assistance package from the AFL, but they must be traded out as the League hopes to fast-track the Kangaroos' rebuild with experience.

The AFL has given the Kangaroos a second-round pick and third-round pick for 2023 on the proviso they are traded for at least one player, as well as granting the Roos two extra list spots, which AFL.com.au revealed last month was a key part of their pitch to headquarters."

However, I suspect the Age had the correct information:

"The AFL has granted North Melbourne future draft picks that must be traded for listed players as part of a special assistance package approved on Monday.

The AFL has handed the Kangaroos a 2023 second and 2023 third round pick that must be traded to another club or clubs, for at least one player, under a draft assistance package aimed at making North Melbourne more competitive quickly."

ie. each pick must be traded for at least one player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back