List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: will update if ppl happy for this to sticky

Ok starting the hit list of names mentioned in any rumour as linked to us for 2023 trade period.
  • Mac Andrew
  • Hunter Clark
  • Zac Fisher
  • Sam Flanders
  • Mitch Georgiades
  • Liam Henry
  • Dougal Howard
  • Lewis Melican
  • Jack Silvagni
  • Dylan Stephens
  • Adam Tomlinson

Last edited:
*. We have two elephants in the room according to this weeks media narrative. First one being Ratten and the second being McKay

Lucky Clarko knocked down all those walls.

If McKay stays then I think that we could turn things around pretty quick. I'd throw a ton of money at a Himmelberg type. I'd be trying to trade to add more class, including the Port pick. And I would draft Watson to step right in to a goal sneak threat.

If McKay leaves then I'd focus on loading up on talent in this draft. Try to get 4 first rounders with 2, 3, a pick 5-9 and Ports pick. Get a core with those players and Sheezel, Wardlaw, George etc.

alright so here is my hot take.

Our tall forwards are all but set IMO. You cant fit CCJ, Larkey, Zurhaar and Comben in there. I think, especially after the past fortnight, this is extremely potent.

One factor that has made it look LESS potent is our small forwards. They arent dangerous. Curtis i like, and is oppurtunistic. Besides that question marks all over, including on Curtis. Of course this would make the tall fwds be double teamed, space used up etc etc by our inept small brigade. Special mention to stephenson but he aint a pressure fwd.

POTENTIALLY the Port Adelaide pick on a tall fwd, or a later pick even on a project.

McKay stays our tall defenders are sorted to, if not the port pick becomes a backman (logue and corr can fill the void in the interim) and a state league player (I assume we'd still have Dawson so him if he stays i guess).

Rucks IMO are ok to, if not trade in a warrior when we are good - not a necessity.

Midfield - well its looking hot hot hot. Harley Reid if we get pick 1, and only then do we consider trading out someone like a Tom Powell - CONSIDER TRADING.

Wings well Scott and Ford look outstanding.

Small backmen, i have HUGE faith in bergman and goater. McDonald, despite what alot here would say, is doing an AMAZING job as a shut down. Yes, he could do better, but he's shut down is amazing.

Where does this leave us? Small forward. Nick Watson. I HATE the idea of spending such a high pick on a small forward, and would loathe doing it if we had pick 1 with reid available. But maybe... just maybe... This year is the perfect storm for us as Watson is seen as a top 3 draft pick and fits our most pressing need?

Watson for sure with our first.

There'll be a key forward that drifts out like Van Rooyen or Lemmey in recent years, Archer Reid is one who seems to be slipping a little.

Conversely we could go best tall at first pick and look at a Jack Delean type.

There's quite a lot hinging on where Port finishes of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we somehow miss out of Reid and Watson I'd look at trading down a few spots and take someone like Caddy or Wilson.
Helps us get another asset this year or next year. I'd assume either a late first or early 2nd depending on slide level.
I'd consider trading Port 1st or future 2nd only for ready made 20-26 year old key position or skillful wing, depends on McKay situation as to how urgent doing that is and what the need is in the trade.
If those trade options don't eventuate, I'd look at doing what we did with Brayden George and trade the future 2nd into this year to target somebody in the draft and get someone in 12 months earlier or to upgrade Port 1st perhaps another option.
3rd or 4th round picks I'd look at taking a punt on either some kpp depth in the draft to develop at VFL level (like Tigers with Ryan) or bring in somebody from Cats, Tigers, Dees or Hawks to show the group what is premiership standard.
List needs are a pressure/goal scoring forward, wing depth with running power and skills (a lefty Isaac Smith type), key position depth and a lock-down/rebounding defender (Quaynor/Maynard type).
Rucks I feel are less of a pressing need right now. I'd give Xerri and CCJ a bit more time to hit 70 games and if we need to make a move in 2 years when they young kids are 50+ games then do it.

I worked out today we have won 11 games since 2019

11 out of 78 games.

Hard to fathom how there is no priority pick in the works.
It's 11/74 cos 2020 was shortened. Still pretty rubbish though, for sure. Becomes 9/72 if you discount the two pre-COVID interruption wins. 1 win for every 8 losses

If we somehow miss out of Reid and Watson I'd look at trading down a few spots and take someone like Caddy or Wilson.
Helps us get another asset this year or next year. I'd assume either a late first or early 2nd depending on slide level.
I'd consider trading Port 1st or future 2nd only for ready made 20-26 year old key position or skillful wing, depends on McKay situation as to how urgent doing that is and what the need is in the trade.
If those trade options don't eventuate, I'd look at doing what we did with Brayden George and trade the future 2nd into this year to target somebody in the draft and get someone in 12 months earlier or to upgrade Port 1st perhaps another option.
3rd or 4th round picks I'd look at taking a punt on either some kpp depth in the draft to develop at VFL level (like Tigers with Ryan) or bring in somebody from Cats, Tigers, Dees or Hawks to show the group what is premiership standard.
List needs are a pressure/goal scoring forward, wing depth with running power and skills (a lefty Isaac Smith type), key position depth and a lock-down/rebounding defender (Quaynor/Maynard type).
Rucks I feel are less of a pressing need right now. I'd give Xerri and CCJ a bit more time to hit 70 games and if we need to make a move in 2 years when they young kids are 50+ games then do it.
We will only miss out on either of these if the club feels that either is what is needed. We will be in a position to take either 1 at the end of the season l think...

We started 2020 2-0 so it’s really 9-72 if you want to make it look worse. That’s an average of 2.45 wins over a 22 game season.

Yet somehow, Nick Watson, or whoever we take at pick #2, will be the highest draft pick on our list. That’s also assuming we don’t bid on Walter.

Interesting thoughts but spat my coffee out at that bit.

Do what now?
If we can get them on the park.

Alot rests on Comben. And CCJ is emerging. Lackey for me is a gun. I'm imagining comben as the big banana, and hoping CCJ can be a crash and bash. All 3 probably 1 to many.

All I'm saying is I don't think we NEED to spend a top 3 draft pick on a tall forward. Ports big maybe, but I'd rather bring in a tall defender with that pick. If we get a PP or Ben McKay compensation things change of course. Free agency also changes things.

We will only miss out on either of these if the club feels that either is what is needed. We will be in a position to take either 1 at the end of the season l think...
Potentially, if we finish 3rd last that'd put a lot of things up in the air. Who gets the no. 1 pick in a trade with WCE? Who do they take?
If we finish 2nd last we're definitely getting one of Reid or Watson but if we're at pick 3 or 4 its no certainty.

If we can get them on the park.

Alot rests on Comben. And CCJ is emerging. Lackey for me is a gun. I'm imagining comben as the big banana, and hoping CCJ can be a crash and bash. All 3 probably 1 to many.

All I'm saying is I don't think we NEED to spend a top 3 draft pick on a tall forward. Ports big maybe, but I'd rather bring in a tall defender with that pick. If we get a PP or Ben McKay compensation things change of course. Free agency also changes things.

Dunno man.

Maybe not top 3 but yeh, as soon as we get into the needs based area of drafting or trading, I'd be hunting for a mobile 192-200cm key forward.

Type can vary but someone who can play in the style of any of JVR, Curnow etc. Not another rucksized guy.

I think Comben is only ever icing on the cake now. Right time, right place type of player who might be fit on grand final day (yeh I'm swinging big) and if so, that's a bonus. But you don't even put him in your depth charts anymore.

Agree on Larkey and CCJ might yet be something. But our forward line against the real world is still pus and needs some proper list depth in the talls areas asap.

Dunno man.

Maybe not top 3 but yeh, as soon as we get into the needs based area of drafting or trading, I'd be hunting for a mobile 192-200cm key forward.

Type can vary but someone who can play in the style of any of JVR, Curnow etc. Not another rucksized guy.

I think Comben is only ever icing on the cake now. Right time, right place type of player who might be fit on grand final day (yeh I'm swinging big) and if so, that's a bonus. But you don't even put him in your depth charts anymore.

Agree on Larkey and CCJ might yet be something. But our forward line against the real world is still pus and needs some proper list depth in the talls areas asap.
Depth agree. There is nothing. Zilch depth. Jacob Edwards doesn't count. Definitely need someone.

But even a Larkey type selection at 70 MIGHT do if other players are bobbing up that slide.

If we get a PP or compensation for McKay, I'd be picking Watson, KPD then KPF.

Or could even grab DGB cheaply.

Depth agree. There is nothing. Zilch depth. Jacob Edwards doesn't count. Definitely need someone.

But even a Larkey type selection at 70 MIGHT do if other players are bobbing up that slide.

If we get a PP or compensation for McKay, I'd be picking Watson, KPD then KPF.

Or could even grab DGB cheaply.

On the same page there, wouldn't overreach for a KPF. It took years to root our list, we don't to hastily patch it up in one draft either.

Sydney want McKay? Let's hope our compo for Ben turns into a premiership great, and Buckets cleans up Blakey with friendly fire in next year's opening round.

IMHO McKay has another level, but will he get there at North? Will he ever get there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back