Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two players we were said to be keen on last year were Lachie Shultz and Kyle Langford. The years both players had would’ve vastly improved our side and says to me that McKenzie and Sammy “have their eye in” with regards to who were targeting.
Obviously at this stage Cooper Stephens has a way to go but I still hold very high hopes for Meek and Amon was an A+ acquisition.
I’ve got full faith in the recruiting department…even if it does seem like we’re linked to every half back in the league.
For what it’s worth I think the Darcy Gardiner suggestion is brilliant!

Two players we were said to be keen on last year were Lachie Shultz and Kyle Langford. The years both players had would’ve vastly improved our side and says to me that McKenzie and Sammy “have their eye in” with regards to who were targeting.
Obviously at this stage Cooper Stephens has a way to go but I still hold very high hopes for Meek and Amon was an A+ acquisition.
I’ve got full faith in the recruiting department…even if it does seem like we’re linked to every half back in the league.
For what it’s worth I think the Darcy Gardiner suggestion is brilliant!
I'm with you on Gardiner if we are super keen on another key efender. He is a very solid shutdown defender who is out of favour so should come cheap.

Very true..disappointing to lose a player with Brockman’s Potential for nothing but we did the right thing as a club..
I worry the same will happen next year with Denver.. if he has a break out year the eagles will throw good money at him and if he has an urge to go home the eagles could get him for nothing too if they finish bottom… I wonder if we Look to extend him to avoid losing a pick 6 for no return..

I think we need to keep our powder dry on Denver. He has a long way to go. Lots of work and improvement needed for him to get there.

Yeah I don't share the same view as you. Players treat football as a business where it suits them, clubs should be allowed to do the same without the backlash (just like every other professional sporting code around the world) as long as it's handled professionally. It is well documented he had a desire to get home last year as well. If what Platten44 pointed out is correct, then the path we took sounds justified. Let's say hypothetically he was still in contract last year and the club knew he wanted out, the club should be proactive by facilitating trade, rather than risk losing him for nothing a year later. In addition to this, if we're letting the racism accusations get in the way of wise list management decisions (which I don't believe we are), then this will negatively impact our chances of building our next premiership contending list.
Had we did what you were suggesting, what’s the best outcome we could have hoped for? He didn’t play all last year. With 6 games next to his name and a couple of goals, we’d probably be looking at the same trade value as this year maybe slightly improved. Particularly if we’re the ones pushing him out door.

For maybe a couple of spots in the draft in the late 3rd round early 4th territory, definitely worth the risk hanging onto him for another year.

We essentially just had Brockman on loan from West Coast and developed him for them for peanuts. He was always going to go back there.

This has been my belief from day 1. Eagles tried to hide him in draft year only to see us snatch him at pick 46

Pretty confident that both club and player agreed to to “see out” his 2 years at Hawthorn then request a trade back to Eagles

The shoulder injury threw a spanner in the works hence his manager only requesting a one year deal - smart play as it allowed Tyler to play this year fit and well hence having more leverage for a better contract

Yeah I don't share the same view as you. Players treat football as a business where it suits them, clubs should be allowed to do the same without the backlash (just like every other professional sporting code around the world) as long as it's handled professionally. It is well documented he had a desire to get home last year as well. If what Platten44 pointed out is correct, then the path we took sounds justified. Let's say hypothetically he was still in contract last year and the club knew he wanted out, the club should be proactive by facilitating trade, rather than risk losing him for nothing a year later. In addition to this, if we're letting the racism accusations get in the way of wise list management decisions (which I don't believe we are), then this will negatively impact our chances of building our next premiership contending list.
It’s well documented he wanted to go home last year? Where?

He was out of contract and re-signed.
This hindsight hero stuff is baffling.

Imagine we traded him back to WA with twins on the way, in the midst of the racism saga…. Just imagine how that would’ve looked to everyone.

It’s well documented he wanted to go home last year? Where?

He was out of contract and re-signed.
This hindsight hero stuff is baffling.

Imagine we traded him back to WA with twins on the way, in the midst of the racism saga…. Just imagine how that would’ve looked to everyone.
Just because it wasn't documented doesn't make it false. if given the opportunity, Brocky most likely would've said yes and we could've spun it that the Hawks were letting him go home because of his young family and his ties that are in W.A. (even though most of his support family live here).

The ITK's also stated, and i'm sure you said it yourself, that he wouldn't leave if Hawthorn weren't properly compensated. If you think pick 55 in this years draft where it thins out from >30 is us getting fair value then good for you. I'm disappointed, but it is was it is and i wish him all the success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because it wasn't documented doesn't make it false. if given the opportunity, Brocky most likely would've said yes and we could've spun it that the Hawks were letting him go home because of his young family and his ties that are in W.A. (even though most of his support family live here).

The ITK's also stated, and i'm sure you said it yourself, that he wouldn't leave if Hawthorn weren't properly compensated. If you think pick 55 in this years draft where it thins out from >30 is us getting fair value then good for you. I'm disappointed, but it is was it is and i wish him all the success.
The fact he re-signed and that his mother moved over here and was telling people at the preseason games that Brockman wanted to sign on again would make it seem quite obviously false that Brockman wanted to leave months earlier.

That was an ambit claim on the back of both WA clubs being options, and Hawthorn declaring that he was required.

The fact he re-signed and that his mother moved over here and was telling people at the preseason games that Brockman wanted to sign on again would make it seem quite obviously false that Brockman wanted to leave months earlier.

That was an ambit claim on the back of both WA clubs being options, and Hawthorn declaring that he was required.
Maybe he felt the pull last year but told people what they wanted to hear not knowing fully himself yet? Who knows apart from those close to him? It hurts that the compensation will be 55 after being told that he wouldn't go unless Hawthorn were looked after in the trade.

What are your thoughts on the that?

For DGB he might want out next year but he’s currently worth SFA so we probably won’t do much worse next year. Best case scenario he comes good and we re-sign him on a long term d
For DGB he might want out next year but he’s currently worth SFA so we probably won’t do much worse next year. Best case scenario he comes good and we re-sign him on a long term deal
I have a feeling DGB will have a breakout season next year if he plays consistently.
I think he can be really good for the Hawks up forward if given the chance. I know it's a lot of ifs but there is something about the way he plays that l genuinely think can be developed and be a pivotal piece in the Hawks team going forward.

I have a feeling DGB will have a breakout season next year if he plays consistently.
I think he can be really good for the Hawks up forward if given the chance. I know it's a lot of ifs but there is something about the way he plays that l genuinely think can be developed and be a pivotal piece in the Hawks team going forward.
how many key position players have shown anything in their first 3 years? add covid into that development time frame and I'm happy to let DGB bubble along

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back