List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to move up the order to get a better mid
Billings and our first to get into the top8 ?
Fair ?
Seems to be a key position /Ruck draft though outside Reid.
Billings is worth about as much as 80 year old toe jam.
He'll be given away, if he goes at all.
The mids will start to be noticed towards the draft. It seems thin right now, but they usually get more media as the time ticks closer.

Unfortunately Billings is worth very little.

There aren't a lot of genuine midfield talents projected to go top 10 atm

To me he's worth so little we might as well try to resurrect him. If he improves we have a player that helps the cause or an asset to sell. On talent alone he's worth persisting with. Lyon should be able to get a lot more out of him than past coaches.

Liam Henry

He's very unpopular with some Freo fans. He is a real gamble type, if he could be developed better he could be anything.

The Naughton stuff is silly IMO - do we draft Max King if we already have Naughton? I'd rather have Max.

He’s better than Dow. If they were both open market not on our team Bytel would be the one I’d choose. Similar ability to get ball but bytel has always been admired here for his clean hands and decent if not boring kicking. His tackling is similar to Steele’s his pace a limitation but he’s a very very very solid midfielder and THE SAME AGE as king! He’s the type of midfielder we’d love to poach from other clubs.
It's one thing to get in and under possessions, but the advantage of Bytel apart from age over Crouch, Steele, Ross is clean possession and disposal out of those tight situations- poor disposal from our mids has been a worry.

Think we are getting an idea whom RTB will cull or try to move on.
Billings
Membrey
Bytel
Connolly
Campbell
Highmore

Can't tell
Hayes
Coffield
DMAC

Like Gringo might as well try to keep a contracted Billings and see if he can use his obvious skill for something.
Hayes is contracted and would be handy for a Marshall chop out.

These are the obvious ones, probably half a dozen more.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The one where we traded in picks to chase mature guys like Parker, Hind and Young to go with a broken down Hanners was like tearing up your paycheque. I think it was 2018. King saved it and Bytel is still on the list at least.
He’s better than Dow. If they were both open market not on our team Bytel would be the one I’d choose. Similar ability to get ball but bytel has always been admired here for his clean hands and decent if not boring kicking. His tackling is similar to Steele’s his pace a limitation but he’s a very very very solid midfielder and THE SAME AGE as king! He’s the type of midfielder we’d love to poach from other clubs.
We could do with Dow on our list..very shallow depth in the midfield at present!
Ross 30 & Crouch turning 30 in January.
We need to be active in trade and free agency as well as the draft!!

I wasn’t totally against the other Crouch after the first few rounds but now he’d just be another boring mid that we already have too much of. That’s why I’m off Bytel as well now, his absolute best case scenario is another slow accumulator. Not taking us anywhere.
Crouch jnr isn’t the answer..we need mids with a bit of zip, look at how Port have been transformed with Butters, JHF & Rozee in the midfield!

We could do with Dow on our list..very shallow depth in the midfield at present!
Ross 30 & Crouch turning 30 in January.
We need to be active in trade and free agency as well as the draft!!

We are still patching up holes from poor drafting for along period. You want to have a spread of ages in different positions. Some filler, some kids, some mature and then leave it up to match committee and coaches to work through the best set up to provide development, instant impact and leadership etc.

Guys like Dow back fill some of the holes and might be a bit of a surprise packet type. He's probably not far off some of our current mids like Ross but with some scope to get even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crouch jnr isn’t the answer..we need mids with a bit of zip, look at how Port have been transformed with Butters, JHF & Rozee in the midfield!

Depends on what we are trying to achieve, they still have inside ball winners as well. JHF is explosive rather than quick IMO. Butters and Rozee are very high picks. We could have used Max King's pick on him. Just getting speedy runner mids in isn't the answer on it's own, the trick is bringing in more depth of high-end talent. Crouch would cover any mids that go down and may actually push another out to depth. He was their best player in their grand final year and better than Brad IMO. Too good to waste away in the SANFL.

What has been the main knock on Dow's game?

Disposal is ordinary but also played out of position when he got in the senior side due to their depth of similar mids.

On Dow, he's a decent handball and has some run and spread. Dunstan was a poor kick but also very slow and an average runner on the spread. Dow has a few more upside traits IMO.

Depends on what we are trying to achieve, they still have inside ball winners as well. JHF is explosive rather than quick IMO. Butters and Rozee are very high picks. We could have used Max King's pick on him. Just getting speedy runner mids in isn't the answer on it's own, the trick is bringing in more depth of high-end talent. Crouch would cover any mids that go down and may actually push another out to depth. He was their best player in their grand final year and better than Brad IMO. Too good to waste away in the SANFL.
Crows GF year was 6 years ago!!

Crows GF year was 6 years ago!!

He's still only 28 and not been given a decent run in that time. As cheap filler you could do much worse.

He's still only 28 and not been given a decent run in that time. As cheap filler you could do much worse.
Pretty much all of our current midfield are 27-30 so it’s not really an age bracket we are desperate for.

We should be chasing 20-24 year olds, preferably with some dash. Dow and Flanders make more sense than Crouch.

The Naughton stuff is silly IMO - do we draft Max King if we already have Naughton? I'd rather have Max.

Was drafted as a key defender though
That is true.

However, to be fair, you would have to go back before the draft and see how many on here would've been urging the club to draft a key defender from WA at pick 8. Even now people say you don't waste good picks on key backs. Some even suggest you can pick them up from the State Leagues.

The Naughton everyone has witnessed blossom in the AFL as a forward was not the Naughton in the glossy sales mags back then.

To me he's worth so little we might as well try to resurrect him. If he improves we have a player that helps the cause or an asset to sell. On talent alone he's worth persisting with. Lyon should be able to get a lot more out of him than past coaches.
Thats a fair take, but we're getting close to not having too many other players to willingly delist and obviously the club is wanting some big fish asap. It might come down to wanting the list spot and the $350-$450k back in the cap, though we agree even trading him out may be problematic on it's own.
I'd have Jones and Dmac as retiring end of year but after that the others are either contracted or potentially useful AND on minimum chips.
We could delist more but it comes with the risk of no return on talent or salary.

My guess is he'll be told his opportunities are limited and to enquire to other clubs. His old man will see him at the bombers so long as Dodo can "win" the trade like a swap of future 4ths or something.
I would take that and throw the money at Flynn, then delist TC for a potential player like Dow. That's a win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back