List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah definitely worth a look. I reckon he's the other of the trio that has been forgotten a bit. Dew had a few on the outer at any one time. Hollands, Sharp and Flanders were the three always getting sniffed around. Hollands was the first one everyone was keen on and then Flanders came good and everyone forgot Hollands.

Hopefully its Carlton he's going too and Dow in turn chooses us. Both clubs can work things out. Would be a much nicer scenario then a mid second round pick which could quite easily be a bust.

Gresham is a FA. Doubt that they'd trade Dow for Gresham unless they were trying to stuff up our list again. He'll be delisted in 2 years you'd want him cheap.

With Paddy retiring I was thinking about what a waste the last decade was from a drafting standpoint (up until Max)

Just off the top of my head so could be some errors but
First out for Hickey
First out for Longer
First or second out for Saad and Terry Milera?
Second out for Freeman
Second out for Austin
Trade down a first for Carlisle and get Gresh who looks out the door
Big boy out for a first
Dal and BJ shown the door
Top 10 pick for Tom Lee

Then on the actual drafting side
Firsts on
McCartin, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Clark, Coffield

Seconds on
Spencer White, Nathan Wright, Hugh Goddard, Dan McKenzie, Ben Long, Clavarino

Thirds or so on
Lonie, Brandon White, Bailey Rice, Paton

Man that is depressing.

Drafting or development?

We need BETTER midfielders, not more midfielders

So we need better midfielders ...but don't need any more.

So we have enough mids but they aren't good enough

I dunno about everyone else but I have a pretty wild suggestion

Get some more mids

Alison Brie What GIF

So we need better midfielders ...but don't need any more.

So we have enough mids but they aren't good enough

I dunno about everyone else but I have a pretty wild suggestion

Get some more mids

Alison Brie What GIF
Yes, we need more good midfielders, which is why i was saying you need to make tough choices in an attempt to get better ones through the draft and free agency.

Gresham is a FA. Doubt that they'd trade Dow for Gresham unless they were trying to stuff up our list again. He'll be delisted in 2 years you'd want him cheap.

Dow is an upgrade over Gresham by way of the fact he can dispose of the ball correctly. Has a few on our list who get games covered.

You seen him play this year? Only a stacked midfield keeping him from being a regular.

He is leaving for more cash and he is on pretty good cash as it is. I don’t think they let him walk unless it is a decent pick

Or he's leaving for more cash than Saints are offering him ( as opposed to what they've been paying him ),
Its not like the public service where your pay never goes down.

I'll put my head in the noose & say both Flanders & Henry will be with us next year time will tell.
To be so sure I’m assuming you have some source and not just feeling it “in your waters.”
Im sure we all hope you are right.

Or he's leaving for more cash than Saints are offering him ( as opposed to what they've been paying him ),
Its not like the public service where your pay never goes down.
That's true as a generalisation I suppose but not totally true. For instance you could be moved into a different
position at the same level that doesn't involve Remote Location Allowance, etc. Or you're no longer required to
carry, so you lose UOF/PPE Allowance, etc.

With Paddy retiring I was thinking about what a waste the last decade was from a drafting standpoint (up until Max)

Just off the top of my head so could be some errors but
First out for Hickey
First out for Longer
First or second out for Saad and Terry Milera?
Second out for Freeman
Second out for Austin
Trade down a first for Carlisle and get Gresh who looks out the door
Big boy out for a first
Dal and BJ shown the door
Top 10 pick for Tom Lee

Then on the actual drafting side
Firsts on
McCartin, Billings, Dunstan, Acres, Clark, Coffield

Seconds on
Spencer White, Nathan Wright, Hugh Goddard, Dan McKenzie, Ben Long, Clavarino

Thirds or so on
Lonie, Brandon White, Bailey Rice, Paton

Man that is depressing.

Drafting or development?

Hickey was a pick downgrade. So we lost our first but got an early second second round pick, wasted on Spencer White. Later we traded him for a pick, might have been the Bytel pick.

Longer was a second round pick, but it was a good draft, it netted Brisbane Daniel McStay.
Hawks did another pick swap giving us a first, was always speculated to be part of the McEvoy deal ( Savage steak knives ).

We got Milera and Saad AND pick 25 for pick 20.

Austin was a ( future ) third.

We did get a pick back with Tom Lee ( wasted on Wright ).

So not quite as bad as you remember , could have been ok if we'd drafted well, or not traded out of the best drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the nick haynes/hunter clark deal ìs on the table, you HAVE to take it. Besides potentially getting a 1st round pick, it gives you way more flexibility in the long run.

You take on Haynes massive deal for 1 year, and then all that cap space opens up again in 12 months, allowing you to pursue high class player.

As for Hunter, this is going to sound really harsh but he as he is right now, he is the true definition of a list clogger. Hes not some scrub that doesnt deserve to be on a AFL list, he is very much an AFL quality player. But unless he improves his deficiencies, he is sitting as somewhere between the 18th and 26th best player on your team. He is too good to be delisted and will continue to get contracts and take up list spots and cap space that could be used to take more swings (finding talent at the back of the drafts is a numbers game).

Im more than happy to keep hunter if this doesnt end up happening, but if a high pick and a chance to lure a highly talented player with big money next year is available, i believe thats best for the club
Yep - I would do anything for another first rounder (well, not anything). That’s what we need. Build a collection around King and OWens/NWM etc.

I'll put my head in the noose & say both Flanders & Henry will be with us next year time will tell.

The report said all parties expected Flanders to stay but that there has been little movement yet.

It still sounds like he’s gettable to me. That report is having a bob each way. Especially without a senior coach yet appointed.

I wouldn’t give up hope just yet. If we’ve been into Flanders for some time then I suspect he may still be interested in coming to us. Especially if we play finals.

Dow is an upgrade over Gresham by way of the fact he can dispose of the ball correctly. Has a few on our list who get games covered.

You seen him play this year? Only a stacked midfield keeping him from being a regular.

WTF have you seen him play? He makes Gresham look like Nas. He goes at 35% DE in the VFL. He's probably the worst user of the footy I've ever seen at any level. He's quite quick though. Best case is he's younger version of Jones.

Hickey was a pick downgrade. So we lost our first but got an early second second round pick, wasted on Spencer White. Later we traded him for a pick, might have been the Bytel pick.

Longer was a second round pick, but it was a good draft, it netted Brisbane Daniel McStay.
Hawks did another pick swap giving us a first, was always speculated to be part of the McEvoy deal ( Savage steak knives ).

We got Milera and Saad AND pick 25 for pick 20.

Austin was a ( future ) third.

We did get a pick back with Tom Lee ( wasted on Wright ).

So not quite as bad as you remember , could have been ok if we'd drafted well, or not traded out of the best drafts.

Gave up Hickey and pick 60 and a future 4th rounder to WCE for 39 and future 4th from them. Traded that pick out again and ended up with later picks and took Parker and Young. We already had Bytel. Melbourne got James Jordan somehow in the deal I think.

Yeah definitely worth a look. I reckon he's the other of the trio that has been forgotten a bit. Dew had a few on the outer at any one time. Hollands, Sharp and Flanders were the three always getting sniffed around. Hollands was the first one everyone was keen on and then Flanders came good and everyone forgot Hollands.

What do you think about us getting both Hollands and Sharp?

What do you think they’d cost in a trade?

Haynes is a no from me - 31 years old, doesn't play a position of need, would be costly. I don't even think it is worth it if a first round was coming with him and nothing of real value coming from us. In his position I'd rather back in who we already have.

Agreed 100%
It would be utter madness. I don't care about the draft pick. To take up 1.2m of our cap on a guy over 30 and with injury issues. Yuck.
And the idea we could throw Hunter in there as well. Jesus H Christ, are deliberately trying to * ourselves over?

agree
still a huge chance to land both
2 games left for the season and neither have signed nor has Parish until they have signed they are gettable

Hardwick just about confirmed at the Suns for 5 years. Hope he doesn’t rate Flanders 😩
The hope is that we've convinced him already and he made his mind up to come home. No doubt there's an appeal to Hardwick but we have a good coach too and he may feel he needs a change of scene. If he was leaving if Dew stayed I reckon he's probably still leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back