List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed 100%
It would be utter madness. I don't care about the draft pick. To take up 1.2m of our cap on a guy over 30 and with injury issues. Yuck.
And the idea we could throw Hunter in there as well. Jesus H Christ, are deliberately trying to * ourselves over?
Who else is going to get that money? We have to spend it somewhere, if the draft pick is a good one, we should do it. Saves overpaying a few spuds on the list to make the salary cap.

Who else is going to get that money? We have to spend it somewhere, if the draft pick is a good one, we should do it. Saves overpaying a few spuds on the list to make the salary cap.

Fully agree. We lack enough quality on our list. The picks we now have are not going to get it down to improve our list enough.

We need a creative offseason to get some talent in, whether that is good draft choices, or young players with a few years into them or a combination of both.

If GWS are for example desperate for a salary dump and we can get a suitable quality pick for Hunter, plus maybe a late picks (points for Suns?) in exchange Clark then we should go for it. Just think of Haynes as the "steak knives" and not the "steak" in the deal.

2023 Draft

Darcy Wilson- on video, saw him midfield & H.B.-shows alot of dash & accumulates at will.
Nathan Philactides- has a mullet like Sincs.-small defender with dash & flair, neat foot skills.
Lachie Charleson- small smart mid. quick hands in tight.
Caleb Windsor-Med.Flanker, highly skilled.
If we could draft up for KPP-Connor O'Sullivan, with our 1st pick would be ideal.

What do you think about us getting both Hollands and Sharp?

What do you think they’d cost in a trade?

I reckon you'd try to get two for one FRDP or something but maybe we could give multiple later picks for them to get points. Gresh compo, our natural second and a third maybe?

Fully agree. We lack enough quality on our list. The picks we now have are not going to get it down to improve our list enough.

We need a creative offseason to get some talent in, whether that is good draft choices, or young players with a few years into them or a combination of both.

If GWS are for example desperate for a salary dump and we can get a suitable quality pick for Hunter, plus maybe a late picks (points for Suns?) in exchange Clark then we should go for it. Just think of Haynes as the "steak knives" and not the "steak" in the deal.
GWS should be ok now with their salary cap since trading out Hill, Taranto & Hopper

I reckon you'd try to get two for one FRDP or something but maybe we could give multiple later picks for them to get points. Gresh compo, our natural second and a third maybe?

Sharp should be gettable. Pick 27 in the 2019 draft. Has only played 23 games in 4 years and hasn’t played a senior game this year. Just turned 22.

Hollands was pick 7 in the 2020 draft. Has only played 14 games (9 this year) and hasn’t played since round 14. His early draft pick will increase his value. Turns 22 in April.

I’m not sure we need to pay the Suns two seconds and a third for both of them. You could possibly get Sharp with a third, Hollands maybe an early second. But it seems neither are part of the Suns future going forward.

Maybe get them both plus Flanders in a 3 for 1 deal. In that instance the first night come into play or multiple seconds and thirds.

They will have lost a lot of value. They’re basically speculative now.

Both are 21 though. Hollands came as a top 10 pick and Sharp went somewhere in the 20s and won a rising star nomination. Hollands missed his entire first year with a knee too. If Hunter Clark is still promising at 24 both have a bit of time.

Sharp should be gettable. Pick 27 in the 2019 draft. Has only played 23 games in 4 years and hasn’t played a senior game this year. Just turned 22.

Hollands was pick 7 in the 2020 draft. Has only played 14 games (9 this year) and hasn’t played since round 14. His early draft pick will increase his value. Turns 22 in April.

I’m not sure we need to pay the Suns two seconds and a third for both of them. You could possibly get Sharp with a third, Hollands maybe an early second. But it seems neither are part of the Suns future going forward.

Maybe get them both plus Flanders in a 3 for 1 deal. In that instance the first night come into play or multiple seconds and thirds.

I guess so they have so much depth that it's not like dealing with a Melbourne club either. If they throw first round picks away to get you to take players they'll do anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft pick is very hypothetical isn't it?
To me, its not about the draft pick. The draft pick is a big bonus. When Ross came in at the start of the year, he said something along the lines of "Geelong have the same cap as us, and they just won a flag". The focus is on getting rid of players who are on excessive salaries. The void that that creates has to be filled as you can't underuse your salary cap. Why not take a big hit on a player like Haynes for a year or two if it means you don't overpay the current players, but still use enough cap space.

In a shallow draft, its good business to have 2 picks in and around the pick 10 mark.

I guess so they have so much depth that it's not like dealing with a Melbourne club either. If they throw first round picks away to get you to take players they'll do anything.

I don’t see Sharp or Hollands getting much game time for the Suns. You would hope the Suns would facilitate a deal if there is a chance both lads could have a chance of a career elsewhere.

We shouldn’t overpay for either, but Hollands is certainly worth a punt. He seems like one that Dew didn’t seem to rate much.

What did you see in Sharp that you liked?

Both are 21 though. Hollands came as a top 10 pick and Sharp went somewhere in the 20s and won a rising star nomination. Hollands missed his entire first year with a knee too. If Hunter Clark is still promising at 24 both have a bit of time.
While there are examples either way, I think you can really dig a hole by giving away decent picks for those guys you think somehow you can make them look what they were like in their Under 18 year. Neither have done a hell of a lot at VFL level. Exactly the reason why some want to trade Clark - you get value, perhaps when it shouldn’t be there.

It would be a strange move to be super committed to guys like Steele, Crouch, Ross, Sinclair, Wilkie etc and then just let Gresham go, particularly when his value is at an all time low. His form hasn’t been great this year but it wasn’t that long ago that he was getting brownlow votes playing as a midfielder before getting injured. Can’t wrap my head around it.

I don’t see Sharp or Hollands getting much game time for the Suns. You would hope the Suns would facilitate a deal if there is a chance both lads could have a chance of a career elsewhere.

We shouldn’t overpay for either, but Hollands is certainly worth a punt. He seems like one that Dew didn’t seem to rate much.

What did you see in Sharp that you liked?

I've watched quite a few Suns games. He's got a real competitive streak and has to play in this high half forward or pocket roles that don't really suit him. He had a high possession game a couple of years ago when he got a bit more time in the middle, looked really good. He's just got something about him basically.

While there are examples either way, I think you can really dig a hole by giving away decent picks for those guys you think somehow you can make them look what they were like in their Under 18 year. Neither have done a hell of a lot at VFL level. Exactly the reason why some want to trade Clark - you get value, perhaps when it shouldn’t be there.

That's true. Sharp had 40 possessions and 2.2 against us last year though. He had 39 possessions against the Dolphins a few weeks ago too playing off HB. Hollands looks okay without being outstanding. They are a stacked side too.

To me, its not about the draft pick. The draft pick is a big bonus. When Ross came in at the start of the year, he said something along the lines of "Geelong have the same cap as us, and they just won a flag". The focus is on getting rid of players who are on excessive salaries. The void that that creates has to be filled as you can't underuse your salary cap. Why not take a big hit on a player like Haynes for a year or two if it means you don't overpay the current players, but still use enough cap space.

In a shallow draft, its good business to have 2 picks in and around the pick 10 mark.
Yep, it’s pick X for the salary. Forget about the Haynes bit. Not sure we’re attracting anyone on big money and perhaps nor should we if they’re 26+.

That's true. Sharp had 40 possessions and 2.2 against us last year though. He had 39 possessions against the Dolphins a few weeks ago too playing off HB. Hollands looks okay without being outstanding. They are a stacked side too.

And playing in good winning teams constantly that can mean everyone gets a lick of the ice cream. Outside of those couple of games there are numbers that we would be ripping into our guys for. Anyway - ultimately our recruiters will be watching and have a better idea. Sharp looked really good early days. Just one that hasn’t gone on at all - maybe opportunities, maybe he’s just not to the level.

I've watched quite a few Suns games. He's got a real competitive streak and has to play in this high half forward or pocket roles that don't really suit him. He had a high possession game a couple of years ago when he got a bit more time in the middle, looked really good. He's just got something about him basically.

Could be worth a punt for a cheap price. We’ve done well with those sorts of players.

Where would you see his best possie? Wing or mdfield I gather?

It would be a strange move to be super committed to guys like Steele, Crouch, Ross, Sinclair, Wilkie etc and then just let Gresham go, particularly when his value is at an all time low. His form hasn’t been great this year but it wasn’t that long ago that he was getting brownlow votes playing as a midfielder before getting injured. Can’t wrap my head around it.
Gresham can't hit a target in general play and is best suited to being a small forward where he would be behind Higgins and Butler.

Think Gresham leaves because he wants more money than we're offering and more midfield opportunities than we're offering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back