List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gresham can't hit a target in general play and is best suited to being a small forward where he would be behind Higgins and Butler.

Think Gresham leaves because he wants more money than we're offering and more midfield opportunities than we're offering
I guess the argument would be that confident Gresh would be first picked out of Higgins and Butler. If he’s not, then he’s not worth a whole stack.

I guess the argument would be that confident Gresh would be first picked out of Higgins and Butler. If he’s not, then he’s not worth a whole stack.
Higgins a great mark for his size and Butler's chasedown pressure and crumbing is elite. Gresham might have more natural talent but he's lazy and entitled

Given we're looking to be aggressive this trade period, it wouldn't surprise me if we look to pry an established player out of Richmond. They're in serious need of draft capital for their rebuild. Surely you'd ask the question of a few of their players.
Like who though?

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's like suggesting a player going from Man U to Blackburn Rovers to get to Liverpool because they can't go there directly. Within a year. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
If Hollands from GC is gettable along with Flanders, could we make a play for both in a package deal for our first rounder?
I know we want to hit the draft but Hollands seriously impressed me last season with his ability to kick goals while winning the ball as a high half forward.

17 touches and a goal a game last season (in a small sample size) is nothing to sneeze at.
Getting as much young talent through the door should be the goal and I feel more confident that one of Hollands or Flanders will make a huge difference to the team rather than a middling first rounder in a draft with a lack of mids anyway.

I'd love to get Bolton, potentially even Gibcus to lock up our bookends for the next decade
Would like Liam Baker. Also Dusty, could spark him.to go for another flag, otherwise he is just playing out time.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Hollands from GC is gettable along with Flanders, could we make a play for both in a package deal for our first rounder?
I know we want to hit the draft but Hollands seriously impressed me last season with his ability to kick goals while winning the ball as a high half forward.

17 touches and a goal a game last season (in a small sample size) is nothing to sneeze at.
Getting as much young talent through the door should be the goal and I feel more confident that one of Hollands or Flanders will make a huge difference to the team rather than a middling first rounder in a draft with a lack of mids anyway.
Gold coast and GWS are chock full of high end talents wasting away in VFL. provided that we do our diligence and scouting, this would be a smart way to improve our list quickly without a full rebuild. Flanders and Hollands are both mid/forwards that are dynamic and skillful, if we can do these type of deals, draft well, plus bring in 1 other senior body like Matt Crouch, then our midfield would be instantly transformed (allowing for injury to 1 or 2 of Steele, Crouch and Ross during the course of a season)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could build a strong midfield, with the whole team capable of winning contested ball, then Players like Hill, Henry can flourish.. Currently, half of the team can’t win contested ball, this needs to be addressed. Especially the backline. Stocker, Wilkie, Sinclair win their own ball. Webster, Howard are stoppers only, often punches the ball away then falls over, so need to be be improved.
I agree with most of this, Webster though is pretty brave and goes for it.

Yeah definitely worth a look. I reckon he's the other of the trio that has been forgotten a bit. Dew had a few on the outer at any one time. Hollands, Sharp and Flanders were the three always getting sniffed around. Hollands was the first one everyone was keen on and then Flanders came good and everyone forgot Hollands.
Holland's hasn't shown a lot IMO. You'd want to get him at bargain price.

Gresham can't hit a target in general play and is best suited to being a small forward where he would be behind Higgins and Butler.

Think Gresham leaves because he wants more money than we're offering and more midfield opportunities than we're offering
According to his manager a while ago he’s playing his ideal role of forward-mid so not sure he’d be going for more opportunity. My concern if he goes is Ross rarely plays anyone under 27 years old in the midfield and without Gresh’s minutes in there as a point of difference it’s more of the boring players.

And playing in good winning teams constantly that can mean everyone gets a lick of the ice cream. Outside of those couple of games there are numbers that we would be ripping into our guys for. Anyway - ultimately our recruiters will be watching and have a better idea. Sharp looked really good early days. Just one that hasn’t gone on at all - maybe opportunities, maybe he’s just not to the level.

Heard that with Will Brodie, Scrimshaw, Jack Bowes, Peter Wright, Flanders and half a dozen others. Dew would get fixated on the flaws in some players and cut them out. Their VFL side is stacked so players that should be being developed as mid are playing off HB or HF. It's like smorgasbord for players up there

Given we're looking to be aggressive this trade period, it wouldn't surprise me if we look to pry an established player out of Richmond. They're in serious need of draft capital for their rebuild. Surely you'd ask the question of a few of their players.

I reckon we need mids and they don't have heaps left that aren't required. Sonsie would be a good one to chase but can't see him available.

Where would you see his best possie? Wing or mdfield I gather?

Mid forward rotation to become full time mid eventually I think. We have heaps that can play both coming through and if you could move guys like Owens, Phillipou and Sharp forward to rest instead of on the bench, you keep quality on the field.

Holland's hasn't shown a lot IMO. You'd want to get him at bargain price.
This is just an absurd situation the afl is an absolute joke. We get to pick over the players GC don’t want and pay overs to provide them with even more draft capital to use as they choose. While they keep the cream of the crop and usher in an ever increasing haul of academy players we get to decide how we‘ll use our solitary first round pick.

Anyone who thinks we’re heading for a flag challenge with GC cast offs is delusional Imo. We need a new strategy and playing nice isn’t going to work, if we need to shake up the afl so be it. Imo our board needs a dose of reality, despite making the right noises all they have really done is rolled over and consigned us to a permanent role just making up the numbers.

If this offseason goes the way I think it will we’ll struggle to match what we’ve achieved this year and then what ? Another lower mid first round pick. I’m sure that will really move the needle compared to GC etc and their conga line of academy freebies, maybe we can give them two firsts for Ben king if they decide he’s surplus to requirements.

Unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat and find some backbone individually or collectively with other clubs I think maybe one more season will see me turning off the afl altogether and just watching local footy.

This is just an absurd situation the afl is an absolute joke. We get to pick over the players GC don’t want and pay overs to provide them with even more draft capital to use as they choose. While they keep the cream of the crop and usher in an ever increasing haul of academy players we get to decide how we‘ll use our solitary first round pick.

Anyone who thinks we’re heading for a flag challenge with GC cast offs is delusional Imo. We need a new strategy and playing nice isn’t going to work, if we need to shake up the afl so be it. Imo our board needs a dose of reality, despite making the right noises all they have really done is rolled over and consigned us to a permanent role just making up the numbers.

If this offseason goes the way I think it will we’ll struggle to match what we’ve achieved this year and then what ? Another lower mid first round pick. I’m sure that will really move the needle compared to GC etc and their conga line of academy freebies, maybe we can give them two firsts for Ben king if they decide he’s surplus to requirements.

Unless we pull a rabbit out of the hat and find some backbone individually or collectively with other clubs I think maybe one more season will see me turning off the afl altogether and just watching local footy.

Like everything there is a bit more nuance. Their cast offs are going to be better than a lot of players available after the second round and if you can buy semi developed talent on the cheap you are aead. Brodie, Wright and Scrimshaw cost FA and all would be pretty handy in a finals side.

GC are much less hard to deal with than GWS who always get overs for cast offs. GC seem to waste talent like no other club. They paid Geelong to take one of their developing players with high FRDP. They are like a drunk at the pub whose just won a trifecta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back