List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously but we don't get it unless he generates band 1 which he won't.

We could dog them and re-neg though :)
But if we aren't getting anything good in return, I dont see why we would bring in Shiel. While he is a mid, he doesn't fit the age profile we need and has even played consistent games in recent years.

I'd rather just take the compo for Gresham and give those midfield minutes to the kids than invest that time into a 31 yer old.

But if we aren't getting anything good in return, I dont see why we would bring in Shiel. While he is a mid, he doesn't fit the age profile we need and has even played consistent games in recent years.

I'd rather just take the compo for Gresham and give those midfield minutes to the kids than invest that time into a 31 yer old.
Totally. It's also an outrageously good deal for Essendon and I don't like helping a rival.

The thing is though in that deal you're getting a slight pick upgrade and Shiel for free. So I can still see the appeal especially if they think Shiel improves us.

Exactly. Only bringing in Shiel purely on getting a good pick, even if there are things going back to them (or an extra player). I think in our position (needing to build more young talent, plus having both some older guys already plus having young stars who need time in there) I wouldn’t take him for any pick even if his contract was much smaller (ok, sure as a low value Free Agent perhaps). He is too old, too banged up and too crap for us to have him in any scenario unless it helps us build our draft capital.

The thing is though in that deal you're getting a slight pick upgrade and Shiel for free. So I can still see the appeal especially if they think Shiel improves us.
But is a slight pick upgrade worth it for 1 year and less development time for the players who will be there in King's peak years?

While Shiel would make us better next year, I dont think he makes us a flag contender so I hope we look a bit more long term with it.

But is a slight pick upgrade worth it for 1 year and less development time for the players who will be there in King's peak years?

While Shiel would make us better next year, I dont think he makes us a flag contender so I hope we look a bit more long term with it.
Plus we would be giving up Gresham for a pretty low price.

What if the deal is, Essendon pay overs for Gresh so we get 13. We then trade 13 for Shiel and their second which is 28 and they pay for Shiel. So we get an upgrade on the Gresh compo and get Shiel.

Out: Gresh
In: Shiel, 28

Its complete garbage.
If we are giving back the compo pick we don't care what it is. Its not doing us a favor at all.

If they don't pay Gresh overs to make his compo 13 we'll probably get a second round pick anyway.
I'm happy to take Shiel if they give us something to take his salary on. That stupid proposed deal gives us nothing.

------
Here's my somewhat boring plan.

IF they pay Gresh enough to get Gresh as a FA, we get the compo, whatever it is.

If we want Shiel or any other over the hill old fart , we pay sfa in terms of draft picks to get them.

Its complete garbage.
If we are giving back the compo pick we don't care what it is. Its not doing us a favor at all.

If they don't pay Gresh overs to make his compo 13 we'll probably get a second round pick anyway.
I'm happy to take Shiel if they give us something to take his salary on. That stupid proposed deal gives us nothing.

------
Here's my somewhat boring plan.

IF they pay Gresh enough to get Gresh as a FA, we get the compo, whatever it is.

If we want Shiel or any other over the hill old fart , we pay sfa in terms of draft picks to get them.
In the deal I'm proposing they give us their second round pick which is better than what the second round compo would be.

What if the deal is, Essendon pay overs for Gresh so we get 13. We then trade 13 for Shiel and their second which is 28 and they pay for Shiel. So we get an upgrade on the Gresh compo and get Shiel.

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Gresh wins, he gets an inflated salary
Ess win, they get pick 13
Ess win, they get Gresh
Ess win, they lose an overpaid, injured Shiel
We get an overpaid, injured Shiel
We lose Gresh and gain pick 28

Yuck

In the deal I'm proposing they give us their second round pick which is better than what the second round compo would be.

Not much better, would be 4 picks before our own second, I'd like a closer to 20 as we could get in that situation of a 2nd going anywhere given the North compo instances pushing things.

Only Bomber pick I'd want is 8, everything else they have is trash and not worth it no matter what is bundled with it. The Shiel situation only makes sense if it forces a compo upgrade, otherwise no point in even entertaining it as a notion unless 8 is in the picture also.

Ess win, they get Gresh

Yuck
We're losing Gresh regardless and most likely getting 32 for him.

Ess win, they get Gresh

Yuck
Yeah, getting big dons-board vibes from that proposition.

North not getting band 1 for McKay would be some sweet sweet justice after getting that bs assistance package. That plus Essendon would have to use their first to get him.

It wouldn't go down like that but it would be the dream.

That would be hilarious.

But the AFL will make sure they get band 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back