• A big name comes out of nowhere to us and we rejoice

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Organic Growth

Votes: 40 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He was special from the start.

That 1995 goal as an 18 year old to win the match against Hawthorn was special.
Was there that day. Can’t find the video but was it against Ray Jenke - that name just rings a bell.

Sometimes easier to remember things from 30 years ago than last week haha

Cmon Abab ....Rachele has done absolutely nothing to be compared to Laird ...nevermind being classified in a different league

Rachele has potential ....and that's all you can say on his output thus far
Considering Rachele only had 2 years in the AFL system so he hasn't had the opportunity compared to Laird but arguably he already looks a more impactful player. Laird is a solid B+ grader but lack that impact which has always stopped him from reaching that next level, hence different league.

I think Rankine is the other one that has potential to have a big year and go to another level. I can see him following the path of Bolton from Richmond and becoming that elite mid/forward player.

Big call, but I predict him to be in the AA team at the end of next year.
Agree but not that big a call. If he played all games this year AA squad was a distinct possibility

Considering Rachele only had 2 years in the AFL system so he hasn't had the opportunity compared to Laird but arguably he already looks a more impactful player. Laird is a solid B+ grader but lack that impact which has always stopped him from reaching that next level, hence different league.
Laird has won best and fairests. On talent sure Rachele should end up a better player.
But talent alone won't get it done. He will need to get his emotional side under control.

Cmon Abab ....Rachele has done absolutely nothing to be compared to Laird ...nevermind being classified in a different league

Rachele has potential ....and that's all you can say on his output thus far
Rachele has not been afforded the luxury of developing his game in an easy position like Laird was

Rachele has not been afforded the luxury of developing his game in an easy position like Laird was
Half Back for West Adelaide whilst on the rookie list?

Was there that day. Can’t find the video but was it against Ray Jenke - that name just rings a bell.

Sometimes easier to remember things from 30 years ago than last week haha
Watched it lots since I was a kid. Denis Cometti. Heres Mcleod looking for his 15th posession stops it in the pocket Jenke with him was he held. Its a goal. Wahooo an unlikely hero

Watched it lots since I was a kid. Denis Cometti. Heres Mcleod looking for his 15th posession stops it in the pocket Jenke with him was he held. Its a goal. Wahooo an unlikely hero
Yeah you just knew then he was special from that moment although massive wraps already as effectively a number one draft pick.

That was back in the old VHS days though wasn’t it? I reckon I had 50+ 1991-1995 games on VHS at one stage inc all the big ones - Mods great games like his 13 or 14 vs SOS who conveniently forgot about any player kicking over 10 on him when interviewed in recent years (although I think he was moved second half), 93 elimination is a very underrated game, “were in the finals” last minor round vs Pies 1993, Mods kicking 10 vs Tigers in round 1 1993 at The G etc. and of course round 1 1991, “Get some Hork on your Fork”. - has there ever been a more magical game where basically EVERYTHING we tried worked on the night with supreme skills. That rat Rucci then built up pressure saying we should be flag faves after that first game only to lose convincingly in the come down game vs Blues round 2

I hate the grading on here sometimes. Laird is a B-grader?

Jeez.
It’s all subjective, I never usually take others’ gradings to heart (unless wildly out of proportions) as everyone has their own criteria

I’d have Laird around the A-/B+ mark based on last year, myself

Yeah you just knew then he was special from that moment although massive wraps already as effectively a number one draft pick.

That was back in the old VHS days though wasn’t it? I reckon I had 50+ 1991-1995 games on VHS at one stage inc all the big ones - Mods great games like his 13 or 14 vs SOS who conveniently forgot about any player kicking over 10 on him when interviewed in recent years (although I think he was moved second half), 93 elimination is a very underrated game, “were in the finals” last minor round vs Pies 1993, Mods kicking 10 vs Tigers in round 1 1993 at The G etc. and of course round 1 1991, “Get some Hork on your Fork”. - has there ever been a more magical game where basically EVERYTHING we tried worked on the night with supreme skills. That rat Rucci then built up pressure saying we should be flag faves after that first game only to lose convincingly in the come down game vs Blues round 2
Mods only kicked 6 on him though. He got moved off Mods after 6. The MOds goes on and kicks 13.

IF he can get really fit over summer..I think he can go beyond Bolton level if he is played through the middle primarily. He is one of the most naturally gifted footy players since A McLeod that has come through the doors of our footy club.
Agree. Even with Eddie Betts, brilliant though he was, you always saw the effort. With Rankine it seems effortless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF he can get really fit over summer..I think he can go beyond Bolton level if he is played through the middle primarily. He is one of the most naturally gifted footy players since A McLeod that has come through the doors of our footy club.
Was there any concerns re his fitness this year? From all accounts he had a good pre-season and I didn’t realise any fitness issues, but you are right moving from forward pocket to say 50% mid (at most) would be a huge step up.

Rankine likely our best player the next 7-8 years IMHO, pick 5 will ultimately look like a bargain for possibly the most skilful player in the game

Agree. Even with Eddie Betts, brilliant though he was, you always saw the effort. With Rankine it seems effortless.
Watched the last qtr of first showdown this year and 2 Rankine plays are PURE magic (1) tackling the Power player on the boundary (might have been Clurey), stripping him of the ball and keeping the ball in, then evading an oncoming tackler whilst being tripped up and still getting an effective handball away directly leading to a goal, (2) ball up 30 metres out, loose ball, swoops and in mili second gets ball to boot over his shoulder for one of the winning goals,

not many, if any, players in the league can do these things

Was there any concerns re his fitness this year? From all accounts he had a good pre-season and I didn’t realise any fitness issues, but you are right moving from forward pocket to say 50% mid (at most) would be a huge step up.

Rankine likely our best player the next 7-8 years IMHO, pick 5 will ultimately look like a bargain for possibly the most skilful player in the game
Its more getting physically stronger from a fitness perspective. Look at his game v Melbourne where he was so good but so fatigued that he did his hamstring towards the end of the game

So we're off Hayward now and onto Close are we?

And Barnett did bugger all in his first season even at WAFL level.

Make up your mind...we've only got so many list spots..

*Edit

Incidentally Hayward is a RFA at the end of 2024.

And Geelong are so easy to deal with arent they.
I'm just a fan. I have no idea what the club will do, or what the players want to do.
Hayward was brought up by the media, was that for clicks like Oliver? Who knows.
12 months is a long as well.

For the record I would prefer Hayward both because he's a free agent, and he would better suit our forward line.

Back