Votes: 28 23.0%
  • A big name comes out of nowhere to us and we rejoice

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • Organic Growth

Votes: 40 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s all subjective, I never usually take others’ gradings to heart (unless wildly out of proportions) as everyone has their own criteria

I’d have Laird around the A-/B+ mark based on last year, myself
The A,B,C grading thing always fascinates me as interpretations of the gradings etc differ greatly - e.g. A+, A- etc.

Then on top of that there is generally an 'elite' category.

If it were to be simplified in to tiers, then I see Rory in tier 2 of midfielders of the comp.

Cmon Abab ....Rachele has done absolutely nothing to be compared to Laird ...nevermind being classified in a different league

Rachele has potential ....and that's all you can say on his output thus far
Certainly is the case that Rachele's raw stats in his limited time in the midfield don't compare to Laird's but what I think he did show glimpses of is being a goal-kicking/front-half orientated midfielder which I think is the most impactful and valuable type of player (think peak Danger, Martin, etc.) and that's something Laird has never demonstrated any capacity to do.

Certainly is the case that Rachele's raw stats in his limited time in the midfield don't compare to Laird's but what I think he did show glimpses of is being a goal-kicking/front-half orientated midfielder which I think is the most impactful and valuable type of player (think peak Danger, Martin, etc.) and that's something Laird has never demonstrated any capacity to do.
Lairds a kick and hope panic merchant who accumulates heaps of posessions but does little damage to the opposition with them.

Rachele is a 20 year old gun in the making who, when he gets some experience under his belt will make Laird look like a complete hack.

Laird should do nothing more than get the ball and immediately hand it off to guys like Rachele, Pedlar, rankine and dawson to use!.. because laird’s ball use is deplorable when compared to these lads.

I hate the grading on here sometimes. Laird is a B-grader?

Jeez.

Too high?

The derelict that keeps spam quoting the same two or three faux quotes every week or two isn't prepared to stump for him being an a-grader either.

The A,B,C grading thing always fascinates me as interpretations of the gradings etc differ greatly - e.g. A+, A- etc.

Then on top of that there is generally an 'elite' category.

If it were to be simplified in to tiers, then I see Rory in tier 2 of midfielders of the comp.
Good post.

If there was a consistent rating used for players that was uniform, then we could easily at least assign a value that can be compared and contrasted to all other players.

Im surprised the VFL media have not taken this upon themselves to design a grade system for players.

We don't have a shortage of list spots.

We've already opened up a few spots, and can still move players out (Sholl) and players onto the rookie list (Hamill).
Sholl is safe. Unfortunately, maybe Hamill. He should really retire with his concussion problems. Sloane is the obvious move to rookie lit.
Anyone know Strahan's contract status?

Sholl is safe. Unfortunately, maybe Hamill. He should really retire with his concussion problems. Sloane is the obvious move to rookie lit.
Anyone know Strahan's contract status?
Is there any precedence in the AFL for a club champion to be moved to the rookie list?

Happy to be corrected but it seems unusual.

I think Hamill is the go.

Is there any precedence in the AFL for a club champion to be moved to the rookie list?

I have to agree. I feel so sad with Hamill. Show more than potential but unfortunately more than one head knock too many.

We've moved a club champion to the rookie list before.

Any guesses what player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is precedence relevant? Sloane is the obvious choice, based on his own words. He only cares about what's best for the club and wouldn't play for anyone else, so he's the least risk to get Greenwooded. This is list management for elite level sport, not a popularity contest among children.

It's not like Sloane is the current club champion. Well and truly former. Club awarded accolades should bear no relevance to list management.

Sloane has a good PR person, recently he's started including Tex in his statements of love for the club and plan to never leave on his own terms. Binding himself to someone who actually deserved an extension and ongoing selection. He's good, he's very good.

Why is precedence relevant? Sloane is the obvious choice, based on his own words. He only cares about what's best for the club and wouldn't play for anyone else, so he's the least risk to get Greenwooded. This is list management for elite level sport, not a popularity contest among children.
I guess it depends how "disrespect" of a club champion is perceived by his peers and by player management.

It may just be considered a dick move, and one that shows we place little value on service. Re-signing him and then delisting him may not get a totally positive response.

I know all of us on here are very anti Sloane, but we're in a bubble. I don't think that view is widely held.

We may argue all sorts of things about Sloane being bad, but those views are just perspectives that confirm what we already think. I'm not sure there wouldn't be discomfort if he's delisted and re-signed as a rookie.

Last edited:
I guess it depends how disrespect of a club champion is perceived by his peers and by player management.

It may just be considered a dick move, and one that shows we place little value on service.

I know all of us on here are very anti Sloane, but we're in a bubble. I don't think that view is widely held.

We may argue all sorts of things about Sloane being bad, but those views are just perspectives that confirm what we already think. I'm not sure there wouldn't be discomfort if he's delisted and re-signed as a rookie.
Not all of us, I think the rebuild has been done well, and would rather Sloane for a year too long than putting a Jack Trengove captain kinda move.

The balance between youth and experience is rated very differently on this board than by the club and the players.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I guess it depends how disrespect of a club champion is perceived by his peers and by player management.

It may just be considered a dick move, and one that shows we place little value on service.

seems like a lack of maturity to me. No different to deciding the old captain isn't the best captain going forward. Or straight up delisting Talia and Lynch. Professionalism matters.

Not all of us, I think the rebuild has been done well, and would rather Sloane for a year too long than putting a Jack Trengove captain kinda move.

The balance between youth and experience is rated very differently on this board than by the club and the players.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

we're talking about freeing up a list spot by putting Rory on the rookie list, but whatever.

we're talking about freeing up a list spot by putting Rory on the rookie list, but whatever.

Ok, that's amazing, thanks for enlightening me.

You and Moystn think everyone left in the off season on BF are "anti-Sloane", but not everyone agrees with you guys, it's still a public forum and poor comments like that get picked up.

Back